viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

New Nano beam specs

1. has anyone used the new ones.
2. do they work with existing Rocket M5 AP's
3. I see in the specs this particular model M5-400 has gigabit port AND says 1 Ethernet and 4 Wlan ports??? what does the 4 WLAN ports mean? Multiple SSID? or 2x2 chains?

I was wondering if UBNT will ever add the option to do multiple SSID's which would be great since they come out of the back in client mode and would be nice to just give to an installer have them put it up point and align to AP and limit that MAC or IP to no bandwidth until its time to turn up service. Someone else can log into the network and reconfigure needed parameters on the CPE remotely. Kind of like a no bandwidth setup SSID.

Thanks
--
»www.accelwireless.com
ComTrain Certified Tower Climber.
Wireless and IT consultant.
Proficient in Mikrotik

jimbouse

join:2011-10-01
Bryan, TX

1 recommendation

If only there was a place filled with people talking about UBNT products.... hmmmm.

To answer your question: I have a few in use. Currently they aren't certified for the Lower 5Ghz. Only 5.7-5.8Ghz. They have a better signal quality than the NanoBridges and are much quicker to assemble. There is a marked improvement in CCQ and RX signal strength (better dish and antenna design).

Some people are reporting rate crashes to 6.5Mbit (lowest modulation) and there is a beta firmware (released today) that is supposed to fix it. I have not seen this on the 8 that I have in the field.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
Any eta for cert on lower freq?

jimbouse

Bryan, TX
Unknown timeline, they are still waiting on the FCC. [soapbox] The wonderful same government that now has their hands in the healthcare industry [/soapbox]

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to viperm
We have a bunch in as back hauls. All I can say. . Fast!

Easily pulls 100 mbps in 20mhz one way with one at 5000 meters.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
I still have my ubnt code to unlock lower freqs on nsm5 units. Will that work on these units? I think under advanced tab it gave option to unlock unii band before they got official approval.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by viperm:

I think under advanced tab it gave option to unlock unii band before they got official approval.

Didn't work.

Doesn't work.

Won't work.

Yet another Ubiquiti blunder releasing products with quirky firmware, lacking certification. Not even surprising anymore.

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
reply to Inssomniak
said by Inssomniak:

We have a bunch in as back hauls. All I can say. . Fast!

Thanks Inssomniak. I just bought a pair to try out, so we'll see.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
reply to viperm
I have switched to them from the nanobridges as CPE devices.

Only the large 400 one has the gigabit port - the 22 and the 19 are only 100mbit. Which sucks because I have a few short 1km backhaul hops where the 19 would suit real well, but am trying to switch backhaul ports to gigabit.

The higher transmit power is awesome - in NZ a cpe transmitting to the AP is considered a point to point transmission so we get to use up to 200 watts eirp on some of the 5ghz band which means uplink ccq has improved.

I have had some issues getting them to connect to rockets - I run 5.5.6 firmware, but limiting the frequencies the nanobeam uses to scan seems to help it lock on much faster.

Assembly is awesome - can do it with one hand, packaging is much better too.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to viperm
So far I love them. Asides from the pile of shit cert affair... They rock.

We have standardized on the gigabit versions only for our outfit. Be very careful to only get these ones (Why the **** they would release non-gigabit anything at this point is beyond me).

PTP 20Mhz, can easily slam 100+ meg. I almost want to say I've seen as high as 120ish. The only "Problem" is powering the units. For us, we use the DLI WISP 24 POE controllers, they are not compatible as far as gigabit is concerned. It will power them but only operate at 100meg. If you want gigabit, you need to use a compatible POE (The Ubnt ones are compatible obviously).

Assembly is awesome. I am on the fence about the new smaller units though (The "saucer" looking bubble dome contraption). They seem to be "simple" but the entire unit is held with one single screw on a wall installation. This doesn't bode well for some installs where you have questionable wall studs, or rotten beams (Sadly we see this quite often). My other concern is that is a lot of torque on a small plastic point on the units. Heavy wind will not be kind to these.

But for small PTP setups, holy crap they fly. If you don't need crazy fast speed (What you would be buying AirFiber for), these will fit the bill beautifully.

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
reply to viperm
i guess none of you are seeing the rate crash? only reason i am holding out at this point

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to viperm
I just noticed the posts about it after I posted. For the moment we are using them in a limited capacity and have oddly not seen anything yet. Most of our uses are PTP so far, with only a couple PTMP as CPE devices.

Has anyone else been experiencing these rate crashes?

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to LittleBill
I like them, I like the new release tab to get the horn out, I like the way they go together easier than the nano beams, I like the gbit. Personally, I wouldn't go under the 400 because you really do want the antenna gain, on ptp, you can turn down the radio power, but you can't turn up the antenna, it also keeps side noise out...

however, I do not like the 3 point turn in mount. With the nanobridges, every so often I would rotate the mount to mount to a horizontal pipe while keeping the connector facing down, this just isn't possible on the beams.

Other than that, super nice product that i'll be using lots of.

Now if only they could make a air fiber mini that's like a nanobeam, that would be fantastic!

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to viperm
Just got a set of four of these in today. Decided to get ahead of the game for tomorrow. Fired one up and its working nice. Preconfigured and let it sit here in Client mode for 15-20 min BANG no more lights on the unit. Dead as can be??? this is NOT a good sign I sure hope to hell the other ones don't crap out because that's all I have so now I am one short. ARGHHHHH POE is good as I just tried it on a routerboard sitting here at my desk with same cable.

Anyone else seen this happen? This is my first ever bad UBNT anything..

Thanks
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
Okay its dead wont do nothing. Powered up a new one and its staying on longer, BUT when I went to check for latest updates it said there was none and it was on the latest version 5.5.6. All my stuff is on 5.5.8. I know it has internet access as I have DNS and everything input on it.
I go and find there is a more current firmware 5.5.9. STUPID me I download and install and it reboots and appears to be up and running. Eth and pwr are both on Eth is flashing. NOTHING cant log into the radio now. Cant ping or scan the unit even using their scan software on the off chance it set the unit for DHCP WTF over!!! I am beyond pissed now!!! I am going to try a HARD reset to see if that does anything..

PHEW hard reset seems to have fixed it not sure why it was locked up and could not be found on the network?
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

jimbouse

Bryan, TX
I have found that the new NanoBeam takes much longer to upgrade firmware. I suspect there is more going on in the upgrade process.

I haven't had any die on me but I also only have 5 in the field so far.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

1 edit
This one is dead no power led anymore nothing. Yes the firmware process does take longer. 5.5.6 had dfs freqs in canada country code. 5.5.9 got rid of it.. damn it. Anyone have 5.5.6 ? Ha ha ha

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
viper i think you need a drink buddy....

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
Ha ha ha nice one.. I did as a matter of fact

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to viperm
Click for full size
Okay first one is up and running. I did log into the unit just now and noticed that under Ethernet settings I have no option for gigabit speeds? I thought these units had a gigabit port on them?

raytaylor

The other day, I logged into a customer radio while i was troubleshooting with them. Got them to unplug the wan cable from their router, and plug it directly into their laptop and can confirm the Main tab lan status said 1000mbit

Have just logged into this same radio and can confirm your screenshot is correct - it must be set to auto to achieve gigabit speed.

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16
reply to viperm

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
Well that does not look promising! crapping out at 20 megs under load ouch. Now what I didn't think to check is I asked my tech to crab the POE injector out of the truck. He came back with two of them I wonder if I grabbed a non gigabit one? I have to check today to be sure. This customer does not have a gigabit router so it does not matter but still would be nice to know maybe they poe adaptor is incorrect..
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

raytaylor

reply to viperm
I have had two fail so far after about a month.
Out of ~20 installed so far.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
That stinks I was going to start to deploy these ones. Think I should wait. Especially since I cant return them to the Dist I bought them from. They told me sorry talk to UBNT we don't do returns here. UBNT told me 2-3 weeks to get a replacement if and when they determine it is defective.
The several distributors I use seem to always be out of the nanobridges (older dish units) and say they are not getting anymore they have stopped carrying the as UBNT is not making anymore in favor of the new Nanobeams.
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to voxframe
said by voxframe:

They seem to be "simple" but the entire unit is held with one single screw on a wall installation.

UBNT has a metal plate retrofit for that.

Ben_UBNT

join:2011-03-02
American Fork, UT

1 recommendation

reply to viperm
Hi Viperm -

We are still manufacturing the NanoBridge units for US/CA shipments. We will do this until DFS approvals are received.

Thanks,
Ben