how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thedirtychem

join:2014-05-22

Please share experiences on TI connection

Greetings!

What were your experiences like with a T1 connection? When it comes to...

Online gaming (pc/next gen consoles/high performance games)?
video streaming (netflix/hulu plus)?
Bit torrent downloads?

Thanks!

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by thedirtychem:

Greetings!

What were your experiences like with a T1 connection? When it comes to...

Online gaming (pc/next gen consoles/high performance games)?
video streaming (netflix/hulu plus)?
Bit torrent downloads?

Thanks!

That the line has good latency for sensitive services, but nowhere near enough throughput for anything in the HD realm of streaming.

Single full T1 is 1.544mbit symmetrical. You'll see about 183KB/s max both directions.

YellowHammer

join:2004-12-09
United State
reply to thedirtychem
I am getting T1 commissioned this week (actually it's HSDSL2, which is functionally the same). I'll report back when it's done.

bbwithdrawls

join:2008-08-30
Vanleer, TN
reply to thedirtychem
I've had one for 4 years now , it has its up and downs, I'm in very rural area with 14 repeaters between me and CO , its stable and reliable most of the time , I run voip for my home phones . down side is as it very rural even with a killer sla its tough to get fast repair service, we have very old infrastructure and doesn't take much to take it down , had a squirrels nest in the wire one time and took down the circuit , took them weeks to find it

as I have no other choices this is better than dial up , better than satellite and better than air card, no caps , torrents work fine , I just run them all night , as far as hulu and netflix and youtube as long as i let it buffer first for a few minutes its fine , without building up the buffer it can pause every once in a while , don't game so i cant answer that , i do use vpn and rdp for work and it works fine

got mine thru acc business and their tech support is good and will make ATT jump , their billing and credit dept is horrible, every time I have an outage i get ticket number and as stated they escalate to att very well, the bad side is when i submit credit it takes 30-45 days for billing to either accept it or deny it , that side of the house isn't pleasant at all, again their call center second to none,

I'm up for renewal again and i wish i had other options but i don't. as I work from home a lot

hope that helps

YellowHammer

join:2004-12-09
United State
reply to YellowHammer
said by YellowHammer:

I am getting T1 commissioned this week (actually it's HSDSL2, which is functionally the same). I'll report back when it's done.

It took 70 days to get T1 commissioned through Nitel. In spite of the set backs, so far I'm happy. It pings 33ms to Google, and speedtest reports 1.48Mb/s up and down. I'm pleased.

dmcknight

join:2014-08-04
Elgin, TX
reply to thedirtychem
I'm nearing the end of my T1 contract.

Having the absolute reliability is great, though I don't necessarily need it that badly. I was previously a DSL customer at another location and did fine with that amount of reliability.

Upload performance and any latency-sensitive activities are very good.

Download speeds are consistently around 170Kbps for me. Youtube is hit-or-miss in video quality, but usually 360p is the best for immediate watching without queue-ing it up. 480 or even 720p are there if you want to wait for it to cache first.

I'm really impressed with the quality of Netflix streaming, as it is usually the best SD (380-480p) without any issues.

With all that said, ATT offers the paltry 768DSL option in my area now... I pay 20X more for twice that speed (nominally).