All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Axever
join:2008-08-05

Axever

[DSL] DSL Evening Slowdown?

I have DSL (TekSavvy through Telus) in the west Vancouver area.

I am paying for Unlimited 15Mbps download, but from about 5 to 11 pm weeknights, my internet seems to slow to between 2.5 and 5.5 Mbps.

I understand slowdowns during peak hour congestion, but this is an unacceptable amount of slowdown.

After contacting TekSavvy support they are asking me to consent to a possible $99 charge to get Telus to perform a diagnostic. Can anyone else comment on whether or not this problem is likely to be with Telus, or am I going to lose $99 dollars for them to just say "Peak Hours lol"

Thanks
Alpha_Trion
join:2001-11-26
Kitimat, BC

Alpha_Trion

I've also been seeing the same congestion on DSL in BC.

TSI Kris
Premium Member
join:2013-11-18
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Kris

Premium Member

Hey Alpha_Trion,

If you're also experiencing this issue, I'd suggest giving us a shout over in the »/fo ··· avdirect forum. There's been a handful of people reporting similar issues over BC and AB. Even if you decide against opening a ticket, knowing that multiple people are experiencing this issue is a good way for us to be able to track down the issue.

For what it's worth, we did recently check how much of our own capacity was being used in the AB and BC regions and it was just north of half during the busiest hours. There's still plenty of room to go.

Thanks,

TSI Kris
mactalla
join:2008-02-19

mactalla to Axever

to Axever
FWIW I suggest against having a tech come. He'll check your line between your demarc and the junction box and say "everything looks fine" and bill you because there was no issue.

There's definitely a congestion issue and signs are pointing to Telus' own network which will be more difficult to pinpoint. But as TSI Kris said post in the direct forum so TSI can get a better overview of the situation.

kithop
join:2011-01-13
Mission, BC

kithop to Axever

to Axever
Just chiming in here that I've noticed this for the past few weeks here, myself, too, and I've had my line here set up for a few years with no other issues. I'll post on the direct forum as well.

(Yes, I get the line-check thing is sarcastic )
slidebite
join:2012-12-07
t1n3n5

slidebite to Axever

to Axever
If it helps, I've had this very same issue myself. I posted in Direct and while I get the impression Telus was not exactly busting down the doors to be helpful my evening speeds have certainly improved to almost normal since. I used to be around 5-ish and now I'm 21-22 in peak times.

Not the 24-25 I'm expecting, but certainly usable and not enough to lose any sleep over.
Axever
join:2008-08-05

Axever

said by slidebite:

I used to be around 5-ish and now I'm 21-22 in peak times. ... Not the 24-25 I'm expecting...

Yeah I'd be fine if I was dropping from 15 to like 10-12, but going from 15 to 3-4 seems kind of crazy.
slidebite
join:2012-12-07
t1n3n5

1 edit

slidebite to Axever

to Axever
I concur. If it gives you any hope, I did a speedtest last night @ 9PM, which is right in the middle of the worst of it before, and I was pulling 25+ down.
slidebite

slidebite to Axever

to Axever
And it's back down to ~14ish now.

You're not alone unfortunately.

TSI Kris
Premium Member
join:2013-11-18
Chatham, ON

TSI Kris

Premium Member

Hey guys,

For those of you in BC (no word on AB but can't hurt anyway) that are experiencing these issues, please do open up a thread over in »/fo ··· avdirect as we are trying to gather some ping and trace routes to see what we can do.

Thanks,

TSI Kris
edalzell2
join:2002-01-16
Vancouver, BC

edalzell2 to Axever

to Axever
Yup, I am in South Surrey and had that problem as well. TekSavvy says it is a Telus issue and Telus says there is no issue. Though the tech that came said it was a congestion issue (Telus has oversold).

Ended up switching to cable.

kithop
join:2011-01-13
Mission, BC

kithop

'Telus has oversold' is exactly what I'm suspecting, too, looking at the times this is happening for me.

It's really frustrating, because I rely on having a static IP, which you can't get with the cable offering, and I'm still waiting for the availability of the 50/10 plan, purely for the extra upload bandwidth (which, thankfully, doesn't seem to be much affected by this - still getting ~2.5-2.9Mbps up).

I'm getting under 5Mbps right now on the 25Mbps plan, but I don't have the time to be able to stay home from work and have a Telus tech come out here just to say 'yup, it's not an issue with your house' - this has only been happening for a month or two, and it only happens right at peak times. Middle of the day? 25Mbps no problem.

This isn't a slight at TekSavvy or anything - just more frustration at Telus as it seems almost every time there's an issue, it's their fault.

Ian D Allen
If this were easy, everyone would do it.
Premium Member
join:2008-10-26
Ottawa, ON

Ian D Allen to Axever

Premium Member

to Axever
Click for full size
TekSavvy down/up in Ottawa centretown
I have TekSavvy DSL 50/10 in Ottawa centretown. I also see slowdowns 8pm to midnight.
Even off-peak things have been slower the past 48 hours than on Monday.
See attached graph.