how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AJ102

join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

Lost IP address

So today my router suddenly lost its IP address from Shaw and couldn't renew. I normally have two IP addresses (modem -> switch -> router + separate laptop), and the secondary IP address continued to function normally, but the router could not renew my primary IP address until I changed its MAC address. Then it got a new IP address from Shaw. I tried changing it back to the original MAC address, but of course that didn't work because now the new MAC address was registered as one of the two allowed. Prior to this I hadn't changed my router MAC address in years, and the Shaw IP address issued to it actually hasn't changed in years either (it was almost a static IP!).

I've seen temporary problems with both Shaw and Telus in the past being unable to issue an IP address for a short time due to DHCP problems at their end, but what would cause the modem to suddenly block out the router's original MAC address like that, but still accept a new MAC address?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

First guess, but unlikely, is someone else in your area (same CMTS router), is now using the same MAC address you are

I would put the MAC back to what it is supposed to be, shutdown everything and turn stuff back on starting at the wall going into the room, letting each piece power up completely before moving to the next device

Otherwise, leave the MAC address changed on your router, and continue to function
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

AJ102

Vancouver, BC
reply to AJ102

I was surprised that Shaw tech support was unable to reset the modem to make it forget the two registered MAC addresses and start fresh. They said to disconnect it and wait 8 hours.

AJ102

Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to AJ102

And Shaw just did it again. Dropped my IP address in the middle of watching Netflix and couldn't renew it again for several minutes and several modem resets. Nothing wrong with the physical connection because my 2nd IP address continued to function normally.

But when I finally got reconnected, I see that I have a different IP address now, although I haven't changed the router MAC address this time. It looks like Shaw tried to change my dynamic IP address (in the middle of a Netflix video stream!), and flubbed it.

I hope they're not going to make a habit of this. Oh well, I'd be more irritated if I was staying with Shaw, but I'm already in the process of switching to Telus, so there's not much point in pursuing it.

Expand your moderator at work

AJ102

Vancouver, BC
reply to AJ102

Re: Lost IP address

Strange, after giving me the same IP address for almost 3 years, Shaw is now changing my IP address at least once per week (and apparently screwing it up once in a while and leaving me with no IP address). It's a bit annoying coming as it does the same month that DynDNS dropped their free dynamic IP alias service - the only one my router supports. I wonder what changed at Shaw?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Shaw is likely working on node-splits CMTS splits, so moving IP blocks around - another sign your IP is about to change is when they start using 2 hour DHCP leases instead of 2 days like they normally are.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.