Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious

Re: [Sci-Fi] Doctor Who / Season 8 / August 2014

The Daleks are my favorites, it wouldn't be Dr. Who without them. They go back to the first Doctor if I'm not mistaken, they're not going anywhere anytime soon no matter how many times he kills them off. You're right though, their threat levels vary depending on the episode. Remember the first Eccleston Dalek episode? That was one Dalek and they barely got it stopped, and only then because it absorbed some human genes from Rose (IIRC, it's been awhile). Lately legions of Daleks barely slow the Doctor down.

I really liked the new Doctor. I was getting sick of the fairy tale-ish tone of the latter Smith episodes. All the cutesy nicknames (The Impossible Girl, The Girl Who Waited, The Last Centurion), the dire predictions of doom that you know aren't going to come true (or else the series would end), the nursery rhymes (tick tock goes the clock). I need to see the new Doctor get back to bidness, and so far it looks like Capaldi will be good for that. Also I loved the Clockwork Men in this episode. Very cool.

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
so... now in two episodes, Missy has shown up and welcomed someone to heaven

any thoughts as to what this means or where it is going??

Sure got my curiosity going....

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

I Thought this episode was much better than the premiere episode.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

agree but it still wasn't that good
Alcohol

Alcohol to lotusracer

Premium Member

to lotusracer
said by lotusracer:

so... now in two episodes, Missy [spoiler]has shown up and welcomed someone to heaven [/spoiler]

any thoughts as to what this means or where it is going??

Sure got my curiosity going....

she was in the first episode? i must have missed it.

lotusracer
Premium Member
Moline, IL

lotusracer

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

she was in the first episode? i must have missed it.

yep.... you don't remember at the end when half faced man ended up with her??

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
I'm not sold on this new Doctor yet as to whether I like him or not. I will say he LOOKS like "The Doctor" - if that makes sense. I'm just not sold on his acting yet. Part of it is lacking story, but he doesn't help any yet. Time (haha!) will tell if he grows into the role.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Just finished watching ep 1...........terrible and I'm sick of the stupid daleks too.

I'm out of town right now on a quasi forced vacation thanks to my Wife but as soon as I get home I hope to watch the first two episodes of the new series with the new Doctor.

As an indicator though it seems glaringly apparent that with respect to entertainment such as this, everything you dislike I like and everything you like I dislike,......

Therefore your post seems to suggest that the first episode would be wildly entertaining to me,.....

So thanks for the rave review,....

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

To be fair I found the beginning of the first episode rather meh, but everything past a certain point is great.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
said by captokita:

Time (haha!) will tell if he grows into the role.

To me at least it seemed like 11 and 12 took a few episodes to grow into the role. Maybe their first couple of stories were just written not as good as later episodes but it definately seemed to take several episodes to get them more used to being the Doctor. Same may happen to 13.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Exterminate........Exterminate........Exterminate........

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
said by Voxxjin:

To me at least it seemed like 11 and 12 took a few episodes to grow into the role.

Tenant's intro was weird. He slept through most of it while Rose and fam were attacked by killer Christmas trees. His line "It's a FIGHTIN' hand!" more than made up for it though.

I really liked Smith's intro, when he was trying all the food with young Amy to figure out what he liked. Cracked me up. No pun intended.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

I was fine with the episodes, I was just saying that the actors seemed to take a little bit to develop their personalities. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe it was the writing but watch the first episode or two on tenet and smith and then watch some episodes later.
IN any case I do admit to liking the younger more wacky/'fun' doctors than the more serious doctors.

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by Voxxjin:

I was fine with the episodes, I was just saying that the actors seemed to take a little bit to develop their personalities. Maybe it's just me.

No it's not you. proof of point; go back and watch the first season or two of Seinfeld. Some of the acting was painful, but eventually, they jelled.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by miataman:

said by Voxxjin:

I was fine with the episodes, I was just saying that the actors seemed to take a little bit to develop their personalities. Maybe it's just me.

No it's not you. proof of point; go back and watch the first season or two of Seinfeld. Some of the acting was painful, but eventually, they jelled.

In the first season of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air Will Smith can be seen mouthing the lines of the other actors as they spoke their dialogue.

I am actually enjoying Clara a lot more this season. She has more substance and seems more...IDK...companion-y rather than a pretty smiling set piece. Does that make sense?

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

Does that make sense?

L O L

It's Dr. Who.. It doesn't have to "make sense".

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
I'll guarantee the ratings are down for this season............cause the new DR just ain't doing it for me.

Clara is alright............but the 3 episodes have been pretty bad so far.

The boogeyman under the bed....................c'mon.
Sniper3142
Slapsho3142
join:2002-01-25
Tustin, CA

Sniper3142 to darcilicious

to darcilicious
Well this current Doctor is okay in My Book.

Of course... I've been watching Doctor Who since the legendary Tom Baker introduced America to the Time Lord.

There have been Good Doctors & okay Doctors. There are always aspects that some people like or don't. Sometimes there is a Bigger Story Arch that shines a light on the Doctor and his Companion in a different way. And sometimes this turns those who only like or tolerate a certain Doctor into true fans.

Or not.

One thing about Doctor Who that keeps this incredible series going for Decades & Decades is CHANGE.

So stick around. Things might be about to get very interesting.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Clara needs to move into my apartment!

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

The boogeyman under the bed....................c'mon.

I thought the first half of the episode was really good and creepy and we were going to see a good old Tennant-style Doctor smackdown. Then the episode turned a 180, they abandoned the baddie, focused on Clara's date and one night from the Doctor's childhood instead.

lotusracer
Premium Member
Moline, IL

lotusracer to Sniper3142

Premium Member

to Sniper3142
said by Sniper3142:

I've been watching Doctor Who since the legendary Tom Baker introduced America to the Time Lord.

In around 1973, I was flipping through the channels and hit WTTW, PBS from Chicago... a Jon Pertwee episode was on... Terror of the Autons maybe?? I was hooked.... still am, and sure enjoy the huge current interest in this programme.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I used to watch it as a kid in the 80s on PBS as well. Mostly 4th and 5th Doctor stuff. They have a decent selection of classic Doctor on Netflix now.

I also remember reading a bunch of Doctor Who "choose your own adventure" books where you were the companion. Choose the wrong path and die horrible grisly deaths at the hands of the daleks or cybermen. It was cool.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
While the episodes are not "must watch" I am enjoying Capaldi. The most recent episode with the monster under the bed was great although I made the mistake of watching it while falling asleep in bed. I do like that I am questioning the Doctor's sanity and while his impulsivity usually works out for him in previous forms, I'm wondering if the stress of time travel and many lives lived is catching up with him. What happens when a smart, intuitive, powerful person basically starts to loose their mind? I think it would be very interesting to see him become destructive and where that could go.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost

Anon

I've been pretty disappointed with the episodes this season. Maybe the Robin Hood episode was the best (despite the plywood holding up the targets something like 1000 years ago) in that The Doctor had to figure out what was going on and solve a problem.

Tonight's episode should have George Clooney in it. And that's not a compliment. Slow motion scenes of them walking in a bank? Come on, that's not Doctor Who.

I'm also disappointed with Capaldi. But I survived watching Peter Davison and enjoyed those episodes, and I'm sure it will be the same with Capaldi.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

I've heard rumours Jenna Coleman, (Clara Oswald) could be leaving the show around the xmas holidays. Not confirmed but I really don't want her leaving.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I still missed how we started with her deaths (twice) and now she's a normal companion. I thought she spread copies of herself over time and space.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

1 recommendation

ZZZZZZZ to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
This season sucks........
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

2 edits

91862239 (banned) to darcilicious

to darcilicious
Click for full size
the master in disguise
hey I watch this show and this seasons kinda boring but I did find out some kinda spoiler for you guys it seems this doctor is not the real doctor but in fact he is

the master

hey spoiler 2 don't watch it unless you already saw tonights episode

»youtu.be/h-OTYT02W7E

spoiler 3 don't look at it !

»youtu.be/vqJb4OmNn_U

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
I will say the past couple of episodes have improved on the storytelling, and I'm digging the Doctor. He fits the role more and more as the season progresses, which is expected. At least Rory II isn't as annoying as Rory I was, but he's close. I get he's the reason for her to eventually leave, but ugh, 3rd wheels are sooooo annoying.

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

Getting Better!

Lovin' that "Mini Tardis"