Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Time to remake When Worlds Collide?

I just saw the original, and it was as good as it ever was. Considering what little they knew of space travel, and the lack of CGI special effects. Sure the ending scenes with the painted back ground sucks by todays standards, but it's still a decent SCI-FI movie.

I was wondering if they were ever going to remake the movie, and possibly do the sequel After worlds collide as well. IMDB has a placeholder for the remake: »www.imdb.com/title/tt0455856/ but not much else.

»www.scifimoviepage.com/u ··· ake.html
quote:
First announced as long ago as 2005 when Spielberg remade War of the Worlds, this remake of this 1951 sci-fi “classic” (it isn’t really that good) still seems to be alive. According to recent press reports it is one of the projects that Steven Spielberg will continue “developing” for Paramount (along with the Transformers sequel) despite DreamWorks’ recent split with the studio.

“Developing” however doesn’t mean “directing” and it seems that the director’s chair will unfortunately not be filled by the great bearded one. Instead Stephen Sommers (of Mummy and Van Helsing infamy) will be directing – so expect a loud soundtrack with loads of CGI effects in which major global landmarks will probably get destroyed.

The original When Worlds Collide was somewhat staid – a polite disaster film for a more polite era (despite the Earth about to die screaming there are hardly any social unrest!), so expect this remake to make up for all that quiet . . .

UPDATE

In the July 2009 issue of Fantastique magazine, director Sommers had the following to say in an interview: "Steven Spielberg and I have a great script for When Worlds Collide. We just have to wait now because of Roland Emmerich’s 2012. It’s too close a project."

I kinda hope the remake is still on. As I recall reading some of the sequel book. Life on the planet was more interesting then expected because there was an intelligent alien species.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Hollywood destroys most anything that had been good literary SF.

Asimov's Nightfall, Asimov's "I, Robot", Heinlein's Starship Troopers, just to name a few.

Harlan Ellison has written extensively about how Hollywood for decades fucked around with "I, Robot". He even described one executive as a turnip who walks like a man.

For what "Star Trek" COULD have been (ie even far better than it was) I highly recommend "Tales of the Star Wolf" by David Gerrold.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I read an omnibus decades ago about Star Wolves. How they live in a heavy gravity environment, which allows them to push their ships harder then earthmen. They were pirates. The hero of the story was an earth man who had been raised by the Star Wolves.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

I read an omnibus decades ago about Star Wolves.

Different but in a sense overlapping.

David Gerrold (the Tribble guy) wrote about a ship called the "Star Wolf" which was a much darker and gritter portrayal of Star Trek's USS Enterprise.

(He really manages to stick it to Gene Roddenberry's much hated lawyer, turning the lawyer into the personality of a sadistic ship's computer).

In the "Star Wolf" stories, one of the main antagonists are the Morthans who are genetically modified humans with great strength.

A similar race are the Nietzscheans from Roddenberry's "Andromeda" TV series....

Lots of borrowing back and forth, just as with late night TV or with Microsoft, Xerox, and Apple.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

while not exactly darker and gritter in the modern sense. DS9 was certainly a lot less cheery than TNG. Something I think was a good idea.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

while not exactly darker and gritter in the modern sense. DS9 was certainly a lot less cheery than TNG. Something I think was a good idea.

Right.

I think that DS9 got even a little darker after Babylon5 came on the next year.

If you read David Gerrold's comments in his "Tales of the Star Wolf" he tells how Star Trek (TOS) while making some social strides could have been even bolder.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

well Gene had a very utopia vision for the federation. I still think one of the best episodes of television period was the DS9 episode "In the Pale Moon Light".

But then again I am a huge fan of Garak...