cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

[TV] Did TWC abandon national channel lineup / auto HD?

Just curious if TWC is abandoning deployment of the more organized national lineup that also has the convenience of auto tuning the HD feed (like DirecTV and Cablevision do).

With the impending potential Comcast merger, do you think they will wait so that they don't have to shift channel lineups around twice? Also Comcast only auto tunes HD on the X1 platform (which doesn't run on Cisco/SA or Samsung STB's yet). So if they roll out auto tune HD, then comcast buys TWC and pushes iGuide, it would confuse customers after losing auto HD.

Wondering if all innovation stops here until further notice. I notice in Orange County NY, the auto tune HD is only a small select handful of channels. I'm at my inlaws this weekend and basically if it's not a major network like NBC, CBS, etc... They do not watch HD because it doesn't auto tune, even though it's turned on in the settings.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

The Carolina's got the National Channel Line Up in March, I believe somewhere on here there is talk of LA or some other area getting it soon. So no, it doesn't appear to be put on hold. And the 'Auto HD' that is available in areas without the NCL is different then areas with it. In areas without the NCL, Auto HD can be disabled, it's a software feature of the box and is only available on a handful of channels, usually locals and other non SDV channels. In areas with the NCL, it is not a end user controllable software feature. If you have an HD set top box, and Time Warner offers the HD feed of a channel, it will tune to the HD feed.

I also don't see any of this going backward. I don't see another channel realignment, really how can you get it any better or more logical then it is now?, I don't see the single channel number for SD and HD going away, and I sure as hell don't see iGuide being replaced by Navigator.
CJ777
join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

CJ777 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Just curious if TWC is abandoning deployment of the more organized national lineup that also has the convenience of auto tuning the HD feed (like DirecTV and Cablevision do).

With the impending potential Comcast merger, do you think they will wait so that they don't have to shift channel lineups around twice? Also Comcast only auto tunes HD on the X1 platform (which doesn't run on Cisco/SA or Samsung STB's yet). So if they roll out auto tune HD, then comcast buys TWC and pushes iGuide, it would confuse customers after losing auto HD.

Wondering if all innovation stops here until further notice. I notice in Orange County NY, the auto tune HD is only a small select handful of channels. I'm at my inlaws this weekend and basically if it's not a major network like NBC, CBS, etc... They do not watch HD because it doesn't auto tune, even though it's turned on in the settings.

No. In LA, I just rec'd a brochure showing the new lineup and saying it will be effective in June. The merger has not even gone through yet. Even if it does, only the name will change. It takes a few years for infrastructure changes to be made.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
San Diego is on May 27.

mckenna797
Premium Member
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY

mckenna797 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
NYC in June
me2153
join:2013-12-03
Dublin, OH

me2153 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
We are supposed to have it in August.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Happydude32

MVM

to Happydude32
Ok I know it's even a long time coming and seeing it's still not deployed in a rather large county in NY, and the impending potential Comcast merger... Wasn't sure if this was still on yet.

I guess if they just added TNT and USA, all premiums and some kids networks to auto tune, then these inlaws would watch more HD.

I know Comcast has their own disorganized lineup and they have a master channel lineup they were pushing for a little, but they didn't get remotely as involved or far as TWC got. If the merger goes through, hopefully Comcast absorbs TWC's master (and auto HD) lineup instead of the other way around.

fasdfasdf
@76.190.234.x

fasdfasdf to cypherstream

Anon

to cypherstream
Got a recorded call the other day telling me it will happen on or about Wednesday for me.
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz to cypherstream

to cypherstream
They attempted to switch to the national lineup here last month, but they had some major issues and had to postpone it until June.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to me2153

to me2153
Does that include ex-Insight as well?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Phroz

MVM

to Phroz
I wonder if the major issues are running out of bandwidth. If HD is auto tuned, that could put a significant load on the SDV system. Most people hit up the first channel in the guide, which would be a lower number and likely SD. Making things easier makes the picture quality better for all, but maybe they have to reclaim some bandwidth or devote more QAMs to SDV to use.

I'd be curious to the SDV stats before and after. That would tell what percentage had HD equipment, but was inept and could not bother to put it on the right channel.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
HD boxes set to 480i (no HD resolutions) and SD boxes only get SD channels.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

I knew about the SD boxes but HD set to 480i, that's smart.

I see the auto tune HD setting in the menu, but I understand either that line item goes away, or if it stays there either on or off won't make a difference.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
Mine is June 17th, 2014 IIRC.
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Auto tune has nothing to do with the switch digital video system. If you enter SD NBC, the TWC cable box will switch to the HD NBC, neither are SDV. If you enter BBC SD, it will switch to BBC HD which in my system is SDV, but I don't think viewership of the HD feed will significantly effect the SDV system. And SDV will be slowly going toes up as more bandwidth is reclaimed and the need for SDV is reduced.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

It can affect it though. Lets say out of the HD-DVR / HD set top boxes deployed connected to HDTV's properly, 80% of them don't tune the correct channel. Well a few do auto tune today.. CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, ESPN, etc.. But say they put on NY1 or TNT or MTV or Bravo, or TV Land or Nick Jr, or Disney, etc... (the list goes on)... those lazy people get the SD channel. So now say all of a sudden you auto tune everything to HD. You will have a sudden surge in HD feeds being "switched in" to the node, presuming they are switched feeds. Previously only SD feeds were switched in and maybe a QAM was loaded 12:1. Now with HD feeds being switched in, at most they put what... 3 HD's on it? Ok if you had 16 SDV QAMs thats 48 unique programs for the entire node, not counting any SD only channels that could be playing.

I'm sure it works fine, but I'd still be interested in seeing the statistics of people with perfectly good working HD setups, but tuning the SD channel instead.... vs the load on the system once everything is forced HD.
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

All the channels you mentioned are rather low viewership channels. And I think the "lazy people" are also another very small subset of those viewers. Nothing to worry about, IMHO. And if "lazy people" live in the same node as the so-called "non-lazy" the node won't see a difference since the system is designed to not double play the same channel in the same node on two different frequencies.
rjbasye
join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
Netgear R7000
Linksys PAP2

rjbasye to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

Does that include ex-Insight as well?

Yeah.. it does seem like Time Warner has forgotten about us Ex Insight customers.
me2153
join:2013-12-03
Dublin, OH

me2153 to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
It does. It looks like they are doing it in one fail swoop.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream

MVM

Ok well according to someone at tivocommunity, I think the system I am talking about is being done June 17th.

»www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· 10088480

I'm pretty sure Orange County, NY is considered Hudson Valley. Not sure if that TWC system extends the whole entire county but if it does it would be from Port Jervis to Newburgh, with Middletown in the center.

Though when visiting twc's site it says TBD for Hudson Valley, so who knows where that poster on tivocommunity got their information from.

STATEN ISLAND (as of 5/28/14)

MT. VERNON (as of 5/28/14)

BERGEN (as of 5/28/14)

QUEENS (as of 6/3/14)

BROOKLYN (as of 6/5/14)

MANHATTAN (as of 6/10/14 & 6/12/14)

HUDSON VALLEY (TBD)