Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA to DannyZ

Premium Member

to DannyZ

Re: Mold in basement behind paneling and in closets.

said by DannyZ:

All molds have the ability to release mycotoxins. They are not continuously released, and also different molds release different mycotoxins, but they absolutely can be dangerous and downright deadly. In Kenya during 2004, mold contaminated food killed 125 and almost 200 more were sickened. That was certainly not dreamed up. Neither was the outbreak in India in the 70's that caused 400 cases with over 100 deaths.

Some mycotoxins are carcinogenic. Others can do crazy things to the immune system, which in an otherwise healthy adult most likely isn't going to be an issue (for example, it seems to make your system more sensitive, hence the allergic reaction). But for some, the reaction can be deadly.

I do agree there is a lot of hype about mold, but it can be extremely dangerous and should be taken seriously.

This is not Kenya or or India. I haven't heard of any mold outbreaks here in the U.S. killing people and we definitely have mold here. As someone who has dealt with mold after Hurricane Isabel a little bleach does wonders.

There is a lot of uninformed hysteria driven by excessive hype by those with a stake in it.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ

Premium Member

You won't see those types of outbreaks here because we have a much better food infrastructure. My point wasn't to show that we are susceptible to a massive outbreak, but to show exactly how dangerous mold can be.