spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Spencer
@173.57.67.x

Spencer

Anon

[Networking] Setting up Asus router with Westell router to keep TV guide

Hello, I used this forum for troubleshooting and instructions to help me get to where I currently am, but I have been running into the same issue for months now being unable to get the TV guide to work no matter what I do and I really need some help.

My current set up is LAN (from Asus) to WAN (Westell 9100EM Verizon router). The Asus router works perfectly wired and wireless but the Verizon router isn't doing it's job. The "Internet" and "Wireless Ethernet" lights are green but blink 3 times every few seconds, plugging a PC into the Westell Verizon router through ethernet does not provide connection.

DHCP and wireless are turned off on the Westell Verizon router and turned on on the Asus. I also had a static IP set (on the Asus router) to the MAC addresses of our three Verizon STBs in the house but that didn't do anything. I turned off the Verizon router, unplugged all the STBs and then reset everything and still no data.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or what the final step is? I feel like there's something small somewhere that is shutting me down but I can't figure out what it is. Thanks in advance.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

With Asus LAN to Westell WAN, Westell needs to have DHCP enabled, otherwise none of its LAN connections will get an address. In this configuration both routers will have different LAN addresses. Ex: Asus 192.168.1.1, and Westell 192.168.0.1

Leaving the routers like they are, if you connect the Asus LAAn to Westell LAN, see if your guide comes up.

Use either one of these FAQs as your setup, depending on how you want both routers to work together.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier)
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 4): LAN-to-LAN keeps all devices on one network

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival to Spencer

to Spencer
call up support and have them enable ethernet, then plug that into your Asus' WAN and every other device accordingly, with the FIOS connected thru one of the LAN ports as well (or wireless if you want, your Asus will apply IP's to the STB

trying to go thru hoops of those other methods for the MOCA is just pointless work TBH

Spencer
@173.57.67.x

Spencer to birdfeedr

Anon

to birdfeedr
That's the exact guide I followed (the part 3 one) that has led me to where I am now, the problem is that guide is for Actiontec Verizon routers not the Westells. I'll try enabling DHCP on the Westell.
Spencer

Spencer to eival

Anon

to eival
I'll try calling them. For some reason even though I've been told the phone number is 24/7, and I talked to them last night around 10pm, now it is saying to call back during normal business hours. Unless there's another phone number I don't know about, I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Spencer

MVM

to Spencer
said by Spencer :

The problem is that guide is for Actiontec Verizon routers not the Westells.

For the purposes of that FAQ, the Westell and the Actiontec are interchangable.
said by Spencer :

My current set up is LAN (from Asus) to WAN (Westell 9100EM Verizon router).
DHCP and wireless are turned off on the Westell

As birdfeedr See Profile pointed out, in a LAN-to-WAN configuration, DHCP must be enabled on the secondary router and the primary and secondary routers must be on different subnets.

Spencer
@173.64.207.x

Spencer

Anon

Thank you very much everyone! After being told by numerous tech support agents that it is impossible to do, it has been done. Thanks for all the help, I think it was the DHCP on the Westell router that everyone pointed out. I appreciate all the assistance!