All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
markbx
join:2010-06-12

1 edit

markbx

[Connectivity] New Comcast router/modem/phone - use ONLY as modem?

Since I installed Comcast's latest modem, it also acts as an ethernet router/switch, wi-fi, and phone connection. Now all my port forwarding apps don't work. It seems it sees this comcast modem as the router, but I don't want it to be the router, I want it to be a MODEM ONLY. I don't want it to do anything except manage packets to and from the internet like my old modem does. Is there any way to do this? Also turn off the wi-fi?

I put my Asus router as the DMZ, hoping it would pass all packets through to it, and then let my router filter everything. But that didn't work either.

This is annoying.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Welcome to the forums!

For starters, what was your old modem (make / model) and what is the new one that Comcast gave you.

If you could also tell us why you got a new modem, that could be helpful too.

As far as turning all that stuff off, you can contact Comcast to put the modem into "Bridge Mode", and it will act like a normal modem would.

However, and this is just my personal recommendation, I would suggest you return the modem to Comcast, and ask them for a non-gateway device, or go buy your own. The gateway devices are more trouble then they are worth, IMHO.

--Brian

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to markbx

Premium Member

to markbx
In order to get one of Comcast's gateway boxes put into bridge mode, you will have to call Comcast support and beg them to do it for you (that capability is almost always disabled for the customer...only a Comcast CSR can do it).

Don't be surprised if you have to call multiple times before you can find a CSR that even knows what you are asking, much less knows how to do it. Also, you can look forward to having to do this multiple times in the future when firmware updates, power surges, or an evil/ignorant CSR resets the gateway and takes it out of bridge mode.

The best solution is just to get your own standard cable modem if you don't subscribe to Comcast's VoIP service. Getting your own eMTA activated, or getting Comcast to supply a rental eMTA that is not a gateway is almost guaranteed to be an aggravating (if not impossible) activity.
markbx

3 edits

markbx

Thanks for the responses.

I got the modem because I needed it for the 100Mbps internet download speeds. I have Comcast Phone in addition to Internet so I don't think I can just buy a modem unless there's some with phone built in?

My "old" modem is Arris TM602G/CT
My "new" modem is TG862G/CT

Edit: I did call them and they set it up in bridge mode. But my WHS still is having issues....

Edit Edit: Everything seems to be back in working order (I hope). Maybe I will request just a non=gateway device as suggested.
luckmann
join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM

luckmann to markbx

to markbx
It is my experience recently that Comcast is no longer giving out standalone modems. I have an Arris 722g with battery that worked great but had it replaced due to an issue. I was told when it was replaced that the only thing they are giving out at least in the west region is the new Arris Gateway the 822g EMTA / Router. However, I had no problem getting it switched into bridge mode (the tech did it before he left), and it has been reset both by me and by Comcast phone support several times and have had no problems with it. I agree that as a router it sucks but I have had no difficulty with it in bridge mode. As always YMMV.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by luckmann:

I was told when it was replaced that the only thing they are giving out at least in the west region is the new Arris Gateway the 822g EMTA / Router.

i don't have this particular unit, but i thought i'd read that it was just a plain modem, not a router?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by train_wreck:

said by luckmann:

I was told when it was replaced that the only thing they are giving out at least in the west region is the new Arris Gateway the 822g EMTA / Router.

i don't have this particular unit, but i thought i'd read that it was just a plain modem, not a router?

I have that model. The ARRIS TM822G is an eMTA (aka "Telephony Modem" or "voicemodem") which is not equipped with a router or Wi-Fi: »www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· AN10.pdf
luckmann
join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM

luckmann to train_wreck

to train_wreck
I screwed up... The 822 is a modem... I have the ARRIS TG862 EMTA / Router I had a senior moment and used the wrong designation.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to markbx

Premium Member

to markbx
said by markbx:

Edit Edit: Everything seems to be back in working order (I hope). Maybe I will request just a non=gateway device as suggested.

If Comcast won't allow you to rent a non-gateway device (which, sounds more and more like they won't do that anymore), if you have the money, you can purchase this one from Amazon.com for around $160.00.

»www.amazon.com/Arris-TM8 ··· 0721TUNS

If you go that route, make sure that it is a NEW modem, and not used. Never ever ever purchase one from eBay or Craigslist.

As telcodad See Profile has mentioned, they have that exact modem, purchased (I believe) from Amazon, and zero issues getting it activated on Comcast.

--Brian

FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO

FarmerBob to markbx

to markbx
If you want a modem only, get yourself a SB6141 for less than $100 and save yourself a lot of trouble.
markbx

1 edit

markbx

Thanks everyone. So the 822G should work with modem and voice, and give me the download speeds (~ 100Mbps)? I'll see if they rent them. I bought my own modem years ago and found it difficult to get any support inside the home, then when I started renting it, any future concerns they helped without issue. Maybe just a matter of company changing or not, I don't know. But I've heard the same from others.

So far this multi-purpose device seems to be working in bridge mode so far, but I'd rather just get a unit that that's it's sole job.

How about this one: »www.ebay.com/itm/Arris-T ··· 47110313

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by markbx:

Maybe you missed what I said
said by plencnerb:

Never ever ever purchase one from eBay or Craigslist.

While that modem's make and model is what you want to get, I would highly suggest that you purchase it elsewhere. Even though it says "New" in the listing, that does not mean that it is. You are just asking for trouble getting any kind of modem from ebay.

The reason is, the modem could be stolen, or it could be from someone who had comcast, was renting it, and did not want to turn it back to them and is trying to make a few bucks. In either case, if you were to purchase the modem, and it was a stolen or non-returned rented modem from Comcast, Comcast WOULD NOT activate it, as it would come up in their system either stolen or belonging to another account. No matter what you told them they would not budge, and you would be stuck with a (in regards to that particular listing on ebay) $119 paperweight.

So, if you want to purchase that modem, do so from the link I provided to Amazon.

--Brian

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to markbx

Premium Member

to markbx
said by markbx:

Thanks everyone. So the 822G should work with modem and voice, and give me the download speeds (~ 100Mbps)? I'll see if they rent them. I bought my own modem years ago and found it difficult to get any support inside the home, then when I started renting it, any future concerns they helped without issue. Maybe just a matter of company changing or not, I don't know. But I've heard the same from others.

So far this multi-purpose device seems to be working in bridge mode so far, but I'd rather just get a unit that that's it's sole job.

I say buy it because you have 30days to return it from what the listing says and if not then you have Paypal on your side but all jokes aside you should have no problems getting it working on Comcast as I for one bought one off eBay in Oct. and never been billed since.
markbx

markbx to plencnerb

to plencnerb
I understand. Just thought because they had hundreds for sale and claimed as new, that it might be OK. At least one of the user reviews at Amazon said their modem was already activated by another user so either used or stolen or something else.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

the one you posted looks brand new and it still has the wrappers on it so I don't know why it would be already activated lol.
adam9c1
join:2014-05-01
USA

adam9c1

I recently had my Arris swapped for a X1 Gateway. Only few seconds after it was installed I found out this:
- it was broadcasting the Xfinity WiFi
- I was unable to set it as a modem only...

Few days later I was able to swap it for Arris modem again.
Learned a lesson that if the www access is only sometimes messed up don't call support as you'll end up even worse.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to markbx

Premium Member

to markbx
Never buy a modem from ebay. If you do expect about 9 out of 10 to have a issue activating it. FWIW, comcast compatible does not mean comcast will activate it.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to iNick

Premium Member

to iNick
said by iNick:

the one you posted looks brand new and it still has the wrappers on it so I don't know why it would be already activated lol.

Not sure how much one costs, but the same machine that the factory uses to add the "new" wrapper is something people can have in their homes as well. Just because it is in a wrapper with all the right tape and so on does not mean it is new.

This is why you don't buy Modems from ebay. You cannot trust the source / seller. Directly with the manufacturer or Amazon, where the seller can be trusted.

--Brian

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

Not sure how much one costs, but the same machine that the factory uses to add the "new" wrapper is something people can have in their homes as well. Just because it is in a wrapper with all the right tape and so on does not mean it is new.

This is why you don't buy Modems from ebay. You cannot trust the source / seller. Directly with the manufacturer or Amazon, where the seller can be trusted.

Even buying from Amazon does not guarantee that a modem that is advertised as "new" is actually a new modem. Several years ago I ordered a "new" Motorola 3347 DSL router for a customer (and a couple of extras for my stock) from Amazon. The devices I received were shrink wrapped, and had the "factory" protective shields over the display panel, but they all had the PPPoE login credentials from the previous owner in the config rather than the normal factory default values (and the warranty counter had already been activated indicating that they had been in use for over a year). Caveat emptor is always the rule when purchasing anything on-line.