join:2002-03-10
Motorola MB8600
Netgear SRX5308
EnGenius EAP1750H

whocares256

Premium Member

VDSL Questions

I do not see a specific forum for VDSL.

My ISP is starting to roll out VDSL GCEC Telecom. I currently have a Planet VC-231(»www.planet.com.tw/en/pro ··· id=26560) on my line and I get about 16.5/2.25 on a single line. I was told my loop length is about 3K feet. My ISP is currently working on line bonding.They are attempting to get me 50MB DSL. They attempted to use a ZyXel 87x series bonding VDSL modem but there was a software bug in the DSLAM/RT. They are currently working with the vender. The VDSL bridge is slightly slower that my ISP provided modem but it improves the latency from 35~85ms to 15~35ms.

My question is do they make VDSL Bridges that can line bond?

My ISP uses DHCP DSL. Originally they gave me a BEC 5200 modem. Last Year They upgraded me to a BEC 8800 Modem (VDSL Gateway). The BEC 8800 gives me 18x2.3 on one pair.

Does anybody have a list of good VDSL Bridges/Modems?

I do not need a gateway/wireless/triple play device.

Thanks and Regards

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ

Modems with G.998 support are rare in general. I'm not aware of any that aren't all-in-ones, but most or all should have a bridge mode.

whocares256
''Hardware Junkie''
Premium Member
join:2002-03-10
Motorola MB8600
Netgear SRX5308
EnGenius EAP1750H

whocares256

Premium Member

Looks like my BEC 8800 modem only supports up to 17a VDSL profile. Tried to sync it to the VC-231 when in CO mode and it would only sync on the 17a profile. This was using a 6 foot phone cord between the BEC 8800 and the VC-231. From what I see VDSL profile 30a supports higher speeds but profile 17a supports the lower speeds of profile 30a father out. for example 50/2 on 30a can go 800 meters where 50/2 on 17a can go for 1400 meters.

Edit: Tried the VC-231 VDSL bridge on my ATT DSL line and no sync. I guess it does not fallback to ADSL standards.
whocares256

whocares256

Premium Member

Anybody have any recommendations on a VDSL2 modem that supports bonding?

TAZ
Tucson, AZ

TAZ

The ones I know of:

Generic/non-carrier-specific:
- Comtrend NexusLink 3101 (up to 12a only)
- Comtrend NexusLink 3100u (up to 12a only)
- ZyXEL P873HNUP (up to 12a bonded, 17a single)
- ZyXEL VMG4325 (possibly only 17a bonded, specs are unclear)
- ZyXEL VMG4380 (possibly only 17a bonded, specs are unclear)

CenturyLink (their equipment is generally not carrier-locked, but I have no personal experience with these and can't be 100% certain):
- Actiontec C2000A (not well-liked at all)
- Actiontec Q2000 (probably EoL; Actiontec in general is not well-liked, nor is the C2000A specifically so the Q2000 probably isn't any better)
- Technicolor C2000T (very well-liked by the few that have them. I hope to get my hands on one at some point)

AT&T (good chance there are some firmware limitations for other carriers, but again no personal experience):
- Motorola NVG589

Check specs on whatever you look at to ensure G.998 is supported with the desired profile.

enon
@66.87.80.x

enon

Anon

said by TAZ:

- Technicolor C2000T (very well-liked by the few that have them...)

That's interesting as these two products look extremely similar on the outside. Even the model number is nearly identical (maybe A for Actiontec and T for Technicolor"?). Technicolor's website is very heavy on clip art and buzzwords but light on substance. Seems like one of these may just be a rebranding of the other.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by enon :

That's interesting as these two products look extremely similar on the outside

Yea, they do. I tried to dig around to find the specs, but they don't make it easy. Couldn't find the FCCID for the C2000T, even doing a broad sweep across the G95 grantee code. My best guess is the C2000A is a stripped down version of the C2000T and handed over to Chinese production companies who they turn around and sold to Actiontec. Maybe something to do with the Thomson/Technicolor rebranding? Anyway, heres what I found

Actiontec C2000A
»imgur.com/H1Tc6Lm

Technicolor C2000T
»internethelp.centurylink ··· 000t.pdf

TAZ
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

TAZ to enon

to enon
said by enon :

said by TAZ:

- Technicolor C2000T (very well-liked by the few that have them...)

That's interesting as these two products look extremely similar on the outside. Even the model number is nearly identical (maybe A for Actiontec and T for Technicolor"?). Technicolor's website is very heavy on clip art and buzzwords but light on substance. Seems like one of these may just be a rebranding of the other.

Both are for and commissioned by CenturyLink, who assigns the model numbers.

Their standard practice is to have multiple manufacturers build modems with the same specs. In this case, the C2000A and C2000T are both bonded VDSL2 modems with 4xGigE switch, 1xGigE WAN (they use the same models for GPON installations). More than likely both use the same SoC, but presumably Technicolor's quality standards are better.

My theory in the past has been that they force a price war between the two manufacturers of the same model, then buy the cheaper one. Actiontec's Qwest-branded equipment was OK but the CL-branded equipment has been universally poor (this especially includes the C1000A which is single-pair VDSL2). As with the C2000A/C2000T case, the ZyXEL C1000z is well-liked. This suggests Actiontec is willing to cut corners for a lower price to gain CL's business. (Apparently the bean counter idiots at CL haven't figured out they're just increasing their support costs, in the form of support calls and tech visits that result in replacements. But those costs won't come until the next quarter so who cares...) Interestingly, a user in the CL forum was told by a CL field tech that the C2000T costs the company less than the C2000A, but that area managers were reluctant to change their orders. They're becoming more common now so CL corporate may have done something about it.
Stunty
join:2013-09-16
Littleton, CO

Stunty

SOC is the same Broadcom 63168 and same for the analog interface (the xDSL 6302).
The only delta between the two vendor is the software.
CenturyLink comes up with the router specification and it is up to the vendors to come up with a design solution.