Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Pets] Found this retail treasure dumped in the woods

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I was walking the dog (I was holding the leash) with my mother and she noticed a shopping cart in excellent condition in mint condition that belonged to Bradlees dumped alongside the road by the woods.

This had to be in someone's house/basement considering they went under in 2001.

In Springfield, MA we have a big problem with stolen shopping carts but this one caught my eye as this chain has vanished into retail history.

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683

So what did you do with it?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Just left it, I didn't know who it belonged to.

Many times small businesses will buy fixtures from store liquidations. I'm guessing it's stolen but I find it ironic to find a shopping cart in mint condition from a chain that went out of business nearly 13 years ago (when I was still in high school).

We have a big problem with homeless people helping themselves to shopping carts to carry their stuff around or to collect deposit containers out of trash receptacles or that have been littered to redeem them for the 5 cent deposit. I find bottle collecting rather annoying, especially when they tear into trash receptacles and leave a mess or they go onto private property (such as private residences) to collect bottles, which is one of the reasons I'm against the bottle bill. And now they want to add water, juice and sports drinks to the bottle bill. I myself would rather just put soda containers out in the recycling bin on trash day but I redeem them.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
My only memory of Bradlees is as a child when we lived in Bristol, Ct. We moved to Maine in 1976 and there never was a Bradlees here.
DoctorStinky
join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

DoctorStinky

said by Dominokat:

My only memory of Bradlees is as a child when we lived in Bristol, Ct. We moved to Maine in 1976 and there never was a Bradlees here.

The anchor store of the Topsham Fair Mall in Topsham, ME was Bradlees when it opened in 1985. I moved to from Waterville to Bath around the time the mall opened and shopped at that Bradlees a few times.

When Bradlees folded, the building sat vacant for a while, then was leased by Yankee Candle for a number of years. Reny's now has a store there (or at least did when I was last at the mall).
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz

said by DoctorStinky:

The anchor store of the Topsham Fair Mall in Topsham, ME was Bradlees when it opened in 1985. I moved to from Waterville to Bath around the time the mall opened and shopped at that Bradlees a few times.

There were a few in Maine. There was one in Lewiston and one in Westbrook too, I believe.

I went there many times as a kid.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Maybe Mrs. B is living in the woods?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Hope there's no body dump there too! That's kinda spooky.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Many missing persons cases (that unfortunately end up being homicides) have been solved by people walking their dogs. I guess it has to do with the dog having a highly sensitive sense of smell, which is why police departments rely on K-9 units.

I guess I watch the news more often than I should, not to mention we watch Law & Order along with a few crime drama shows. I used to watch COPS a lot too.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show
join:2000-01-05
Lynn, MA

Madness to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Yup, I remember Bradlees as a kid. There were two in Dorchester & one in Quincy. Used to get a discount there when I worked for Stop & Shop during high school (~early '90s).

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to Phroz

Premium Member

to Phroz
said by Phroz:

said by DoctorStinky:

There were a few in Maine. There was one in Lewiston and one in Westbrook too,
I went there many times as a kid.

I don't remember Bradlees in Maine. But obviously they were here!