Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

bulb shapes in downlights

I was wondering about this and I did not see anything on google.. OK for say LED's you have a downlight fixture that's say 8 inches long with the socket to the bulb about 5 inches into the fixture, and you have two bulbs, a A shape and a BR30 bulb, would the BR30 throw more light due to the way the bulb is or would both be about equal?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Reflector bulbs will direct more light out.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Keep in mind that the LEDS themselves are directional. So anything made to make the light go in one direction (BR30) is going to be better.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Well see it seems like BR30's top out at 65W eq for LED's if you want to go brighter you need to go to a par bulb.. now being as the ceiling is 12.7 ft in this area I don't know if the beam would be wide enough and I don't know (don't think) a par bulb would fit because it's too wide for the fixture.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

Well see it seems like BR30's top out at 65W eq for LED's if you want to go brighter you need to go to a par bulb.. now being as the ceiling is 12.7 ft in this area I don't know if the beam would be wide enough and I don't know (don't think) a par bulb would fit because it's too wide for the fixture.

you can get one bulb, and a socket, put a plug on it, go on a ladder, and see how it works for it's intended use.. also, I'm thinking a PAR bulb may stick out enough from the fixture to fit. it won't be inside the fixture though..

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Well I was looking and I think these might fit but I will check the opening first

»www.homedepot.com/p/t/20 ··· 04632230

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

Well I was looking and I think these might fit but I will check the opening first

»www.homedepot.com/p/t/20 ··· 04632230

Those look interesting, let us know how they work.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I hope it's better then the countless ecosmart CFL's that went out on me.. *shakes fist*

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
What about a BR40? They are pretty cheap at Costco. Unfortunately they are Feit brand (low quality), but they have a warranty.

Without knowing which lamps the trims are listed for, it's all speculation.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Br40 is too fat for sure I will snap a picture
Subaru

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

Man not too sure a par38 is going to fit.. Might have to settle on a par30

Just checked and it would of fit but it would of had very little spare around the bulb like less then a inch. so stuck with par30.

eighths
@50.138.50.x

eighths to Subaru

Anon

to Subaru
par is just abbreviation for parabolic. parabolic mirror telescopes take light from ONE direction and concentrate it to a focus. for bulbs, the filament is at the focus, and the light goes to the parabolic reflector and then out in ONE direction.

wider angles can be gotten from spots or floods or even from a regular round bulb.

to find the angle in practice, just darken the room and
hold a big sheet of white cloth or paper or plastic near the center of the fixture, with just that bulb on. note the angle, if any. par bulbs should be almost straight beam. or maybe you are getting a 20 degree angle width of the beam? you can extend that line into the room to see what area it covers

a par 20 is one whose diameter is 20 eighths of an inch, i.e. 2 1/2 inches. etc etc
par also come in many different lengths and styles.

as mentioned, led bulbs already emit in mainly one direction, so don't need to be called par nor use the parabolic reflector.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Yeah I knew what the par stood for, however the brighter BR40 bulbs are too large.. these I don't know if it was called a recessed light (not likely) or what.

Being higher then normal should make the spot wide enough for where it's going.

As for LED's and being called PAR I guess it's for old timers..
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Click for full size
Ugh well I got it up and its perfect for that area however like most of the lights someone only screwed in one of the holder for the fixture so its hanging right now.

Now the top landing can use a 65w one. These fixtures suck