Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

Just sayin'....

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

So exactly what are you "Just sayin'...". Details- is it cable, or fibre? How much does it cost? Is it unlimited or capped?

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

Cable,(quebec) 500gb cap, $99. a month
120 down, 20 up.

Eros
@108.168.17.x

Eros

Anon

Nothing special about that, with that cap limit.

so, not sure what you are trying to tell us?

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

1 recommendation

Rickkins

said by Eros :

I bet you must be real fun at parties.
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to Rickkins

to Rickkins
I pay half what you do for unlimited and there isn't anything you can do with your connection that I can't do with mine.

Except download less and pay more I suppose. Are there any applications where a connection this fast with a cap is actually of benefit?
buttaknife
join:2007-06-01

buttaknife

said by Samgee:

Are there any applications where a connection this fast with a cap is actually of benefit?

Speedtest.net app!

I guess it really depends on your priorities. If you don't need a lot of usage but really like instant gratification (well, depending on site/service and their throughput), it's a pretty good connection to have.

Just the same, some people just need a compromise between the two or favour unlimited usage, in which case there are other options.

Neither side has anything to gloat about; instead, we should be be united against the crappy state that is Canadian internets.

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

Geez, yanno you guys really suck. I must have been absent the day they passed around the sticks ya'll got stuck so far up your arses....

I can remember when we used to have fun in here.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

I can appreciate that it's exciting for you to get that speed. Obviously, anyone who gets to hit speeds such as those should be happy.

I think it's just that those speeds aren't really "new" and although not available everywhere, they aren't really scarce either. I think you'd find more people who refuse to pay that much for that type of a connection then you would people who would. Which is why the excitement isn't really there for others.

Now...if you were hitting 1 Gig....

MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to Rickkins

to Rickkins
Wouldn't mind the 20Mbps upload. They haven't upgraded this area yet (well, they did some upgrade work last month, so I guess it's coming). But I'd have to go back with Rogers (250/20/500 $99.99)

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to Eros

to Eros
said by Eros :

Well, with videotron now. Same price, same speed, but unlimited bandwidth.

Atticka
join:2001-11-26
Montreal, QC

Atticka to Rickkins

to Rickkins
Some people don't get it....

we should go back to 56K dial up for a day and then get excited about our high speed again!

I recently switched my ringtone to a 56K modem initialising just for nostalgia sake.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to Rickkins

to Rickkins
Just saying, how lucky you are....

Here is a test from today. No DSL, Fibre, nor cable available to my address. Bell Turbo Hub LTE (except LTE doesn't come to this address).

DSL available either side of me. Cable in another direction all within 1.5 KM.

Average bill is around $400 to $600 using about 60 gigs.

Lucky you, no so lucky me.

Ryan
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by jumpingryan:

Average bill is around $400 to $600 using about 60 gigs.

You'd be better off moving to where you can get better service and put that money towards a mortgage.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

I am pretty sure "he makes enough monthly\yearly, to cover both internet bills + mortgage (where he is), in this case."
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

1 edit

jumpingryan to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

You'd be better off moving to where you can get better service and put that money towards a mortgage.

We have thought about renting an office, etc etc. Or possibly buying a rental unit upstairs, and using downstairs as an office.

We do our computer updates at a public library whenever possible.

It is just the inconvenience of the whole issue. Travel to use the internet. Much like travelling to use a payphone way back in the 20's/30's.
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to damir

to damir
said by damir:

I am pretty sure "he makes enough monthly\yearly, to cover both internet bills + mortgage (where he is), in this case."

Well, we do survive and can afford to eat, but I often lament about the money wasted because of corporate refusal to upgrade. We pay roughly 5 to 8 times the OP.

I also love it when people post their 15/2 line stats complaining about their service!

Costs of business and/or recreational usage is outrageous for me. The Turbo Hub isn't bad technology, but the crazy unregulated usage costs are a real drain.

I am also drafting a letter to the Minister of Industry and my MP to request funding under the Digital Canada 150 program. We are in a "served" area, so we do not qualify for funding (reference one of my threads on the Digital Canada 150 program).

Anyways, good on the OP for posting! I wish good internet on everyone, and hope he enjoys it along with future upgrades!

At least I know where I will be maybe 10 years from now (approximate upgrade timeframe) if Bell has their way!

R

pducharme
Premium Member
join:2010-06-29
Sherbrooke, QC

pducharme to jumpingryan

Premium Member

to jumpingryan
If you know neighbors on DSL or Cable, even Up to 14Miles away, you can look at installing AirFiber24 or AirFiber5 from Ubiquiti Networks. You can mount that on a pole at each location and literally have a GIGABIT link between the 2 locations. If you are really close, You can even use NanoBeam at real lower price.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by pducharme:

If you know neighbors on DSL or Cable, even Up to 14Miles away, you can look at installing AirFiber24 or AirFiber5 from Ubiquiti Networks. You can mount that on a pole at each location and literally have a GIGABIT link between the 2 locations. If you are really close, You can even use NanoBeam at real lower price.

Won't happen.... 125 to 150 foot forrest in the way. Would need towers that tall for line of sight.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra