spc
Search similar:

uniqs
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

new modems june 1st

Existing customers can upgrade to the new ones for 199.99, otherwise you will get another connection hub if you have any issues
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Brand? Make? Model?
phily316
join:2006-01-31
Montreal, QC

phily316 to btech805

to btech805
Sagemcom, 2 models. One of them with 2.4ghz and 5Ghz (802.11ac)
btech805
Canada

btech805 to mr weather

to mr weather
Sagemcom f@st 5250 for vdsl and ftth iptv and pair bond and I can't recall the other one for straight ftth, vdsl and 15 meg and up adsl2+ internet

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M to btech805

to btech805
So .. I have to pay 200$ to replace a modem that was installed when I got FTTH ?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
LOL... More Sagemcoms... Didn't Bell learn anything?

Or maybe they just ignored all the issues these things had...
btech805
Canada

btech805 to Rigor_M

to Rigor_M
No you can get another connection hub for free lol

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M

said by btech805:

No you can get another connection hub for free lol

Thanks, thats good to know

Looking at sagemcom's website, I cant see the model you mentioned. is this a special order specifically for Bell ?
btech805
Canada

btech805

I have no idea, I didn't see it on their site either. Comes with b/g/n/ac 2.4 and 5ghz wireless though. Also has a pair bonding and voip ports so I don't know what that will mean

Qsig
join:2009-05-18
Kanata, ON

Qsig to btech805

to btech805
I wonder if this will fix the bridge mode issue with the peak of 35 Mbps...
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

LOL... More Sagemcoms... Didn't Bell learn anything?

Or maybe they just ignored all the issues these things had...

I think Bell caused more issues.
greg9504
join:2014-01-27
Canada

greg9504 to btech805

to btech805
Any indication if this model does better at syncing over long distances? I'm at 1800 meters from the 7330. I get 17.5 down, 2.3 up. I've gone through a pair bonding debacle when I originally got FTTN+fibeTv service and recently had 4 different techs (yes 4) out to again do "pair bond install" that all turned into either

- "I'm not pair bond trained, I don't know why I'm here."
or
- "I can install pair bonding, but you already have service, the ticket is for a new install, I can't proceed."

Despite clearly going over with phone support each time a tech sent the ticket back, that they were to send someone to do a pair bonding on an existing line...

Anyway I finally gave up (perhaps Bell's plan all along) as I think the pair bonding speed profile only gets me 1M up.

Just curious if this new model will do any better over long distances and if the pair bonding profiles will include better upload speeds? I might check up on my outstanding ticket and try to get the new modem and pair bonding.
phily316
Montreal, QC

phily316 to Rigor_M

to Rigor_M
It was developped for Bell. You won't see the model on Sagemcom's website.

rlmicrosa
join:2013-11-15
canada

rlmicrosa to btech805

to btech805
Any news if the new modems will be available as soon as june 1st.. or will they send the existing one before "shipping" the new one to customers?

I'm planning for a move to Bell Fibe.. maybe I should wait a few weeks?

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to mr weather

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Brand? Make? Model?

Sagemcom FAST4350: 2.4GHz G/N (40Mhz) WiFi. VDSL2/ADSL2+/ADSL chipset (not Ikanos). All new VDSL2 installs will get this modem, but still a 2wire for 5/1.

Sagemcom FAST5250: 2.4/5Ghz A/N/AC (up to 80MHz) WiFi. only new FibeTV/FTTH/Pair bonding installs will get this modem. If customers already have FibeTV and the modem is deemed defective, they'll get another 2864, or they can pay $199 to upgrade to the new 5250.
phily316
Montreal, QC

phily316 to rlmicrosa

to rlmicrosa
They won't be available on june 1st exactly. They'll start deploying on that date, so if you want to be sure, wait at the end of next week to order.

rlmicrosa
join:2013-11-15
canada

rlmicrosa

said by phily316:

They won't be available on june 1st exactly. They'll start deploying on that date, so if you want to be sure, wait at the end of next week to order.

Thank you for the tip! I will keep you informed
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox to btech805

to btech805
Quick question. What does pair bonding do (besides the obvious of using two pairs)?

I'm stuck on crummy wires in a supposed 25/10 zone, but the best I can sync at is 25/4.3. And this is as good as it got after nearly a dozen service calls for horrible reliability issues on my line (some kind of short they couldn't nail down) that did eventually get solved when I finally got an excellent line crew that did, basically, whatever it took to get me going (huge kudos to those guys).
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog to greg9504

to greg9504
said by greg9504:

Any indication if this model does better at syncing over long distances? I'm at 1800 meters from the 7330. I get 17.5 down, 2.3 up. I've gone through a pair bonding debacle when I originally got FTTN+fibeTv service and recently had 4 different techs (yes 4) out to again do "pair bond install" that all turned into either

- "I'm not pair bond trained, I don't know why I'm here."
or
- "I can install pair bonding, but you already have service, the ticket is for a new install, I can't proceed."

Despite clearly going over with phone support each time a tech sent the ticket back, that they were to send someone to do a pair bonding on an existing line...

Anyway I finally gave up (perhaps Bell's plan all along) as I think the pair bonding speed profile only gets me 1M up.

Just curious if this new model will do any better over long distances and if the pair bonding profiles will include better upload speeds? I might check up on my outstanding ticket and try to get the new modem and pair bonding.

I think there's a new process whereby a single pair service can be changed to a bonded service during the original service call.

If not, it might still be possible if the tech calls the business office, but it's hard whether or not it'd work.

Regarding syncing at great distances, getting 17Mb/s over 1.8km is amazing. I just wonder what your signal-to-noise ratio is...

And for the time being, all pair bonding services have upload speeds at 1-1.5Mb/s.
said by Sunfox:

Quick question. What does pair bonding do (besides the obvious of using two pairs)?

It basically doubles the bandwidth available to the customer. At the moment it is only used to get FibeTV for customers who are too far away from the stinger/7330 to get service over just one pair.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to greg9504

Premium Member

to greg9504
said by greg9504:

New modems are not going to magically shrink your distance to the 7330, which is your problem.

At this current time pair bonding is only being used for Fibe TV customer who are up to 1.2km from the SLAM so it isn't and shouldn't have been given to you as an option as you're out of range for it.
Sunfox
Stouffville

Sunfox to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
Ah. Shame. Modem claims my line is theoretically capable of 50/5 data rates, which seems a bit lopsided. Too bad they couldn't use that to give me FibeTV + 25mbit net, but I don't want to lower my net speed just to get TV.
btech805
Canada

btech805

There's something wrong with the line if that what your attainable rates are. There is a new pair bonding profile will take you up to 4 meg upload but the download rates are severely impacted. Bell doesn't want double the bandwidth going to one house so the highest Bell is alotting for now is 27/4 for pair bonding with no speed policy so you see the full rate with tvs off, and it drops when tvs are on leaving whatever is left over for you to surt the net. It really is designed as a last case scenario for now.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

1 edit

JC_ to Sunfox

Premium Member

to Sunfox
said by Sunfox:

Ah. Shame. Modem claims my line is theoretically capable of 50/5 data rates, which seems a bit lopsided. Too bad they couldn't use that to give me FibeTV + 25mbit net, but I don't want to lower my net speed just to get TV.

I agree with btech, if your attainable is 50/5 there might still be a line trouble that is causing issues on your upstream side. Do you know how far from the Stinger/7330 you are?

Since you're in Markham it's likely that you're connected to Stinger and due to distance getting the 10Mbps upload is not going to be possible but it's odd that you're still seeing a 50Mbps download attainable.
Arx160le
join:2013-02-12

Arx160le to btech805

to btech805
If i'm not mistaken, this looks like it may be the model: »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/r ··· ST5260CV

Pictures can be viewed by clicking "external photos".
Documents show its a wireless AC router, seemingly the only AC router sagemcom makes.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell

said by Arx160le:

If i'm not mistaken, this looks like it may be the model: »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/r ··· ST5260CV

Pictures can be viewed by clicking "external photos".
Documents show its a wireless AC router, seemingly the only AC router sagemcom makes.

That's not the exact model, the FCCID for the 5250 is VW3FAST5250.
Arx160le
join:2013-02-12

Arx160le

Oh , I didn't seem to find that in the FCC id search I ran.

Do you know if later on we'll be able to upgrade to these modems from the 2864 for free, without the $200 fee?

And to get the modem exchanged, will a technician visit be required, or can we take it to a bell store for an exchange?

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Arx160le:

Do you know if later on we'll be able to upgrade to these modems from the 2864 for free, without the $200 fee?

Yes, eventually once the Connection Hubs are gone.
said by Arx160le:

And to get the modem exchanged, will a technician visit be required, or can we take it to a bell store for an exchange?

As it is currently, I believe that a tech visit is going to be required.
greg9504
join:2014-01-27
Canada

greg9504 to JC_

to JC_
said by JC_:

New modems are not going to magically shrink your distance to the 7330, which is your problem.

Thanks, when you explain it that way it's not the least bit condescending. New modems do usually have new chip sets which usually do better with distance. No?

I've had pair bonding working at my home. There's no technical reason to not do it.

Anyway I was simply curious if there was anything in the modems manufacturer's literature that suggested it would do better over longer distances.
Sunfox
Stouffville

Sunfox to JC_

to JC_
I'm on a very old above-ground trunk that services a grand total of 7 or so houses, then ends... replaced by all-new infrastructure. As the crow flies, I'm about 350 meters away from the present remote's location. But as the line goes, it's about 850 meters. I also think there's a remote just a few hundred feet up the street from me, but I'm not "officially" serviced from that direction.

Here's what my modem shows:
Extended Port Status
=================
Bme: 1 Port: 1
Downstream line rate: 28896 kbps
Upstream line rate: 4320 kbps
Bearer0 Downstream payload rate: 0 kbps
Bearer1 Downstream payload rate: 26928 kbps
Bearer0 Upstream payload rate: 0 kbps
Bearer1 Upstream payload rate: 4032 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate: 50652 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate: 57116 kbps
Downstream Training Margin: 19.7 dB
Downstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 0.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 0.0 DMT Symbols
Near-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb500494b4e530200
Far-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb500494b4e530100
Downstream delay: 0.0 ms
Upstream delay: 0.0 ms
Tx total power 7.9 dbm
FE Tx total power 13.5 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 2921 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length : 2462 ft
G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length :2789 ft
Current framing mode: 0x10 EFM
Bandplan Type...........: 2
No. of Upstream Bands...: 1
No. of Downstream Bands.: 2
Line Type: 0x00100000 VDSL2 Profile 8A
Downstream FFT Protection (Bearer1 Path): 0.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream FFT Protection (Bearer1 Path): 0.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream Line Attenuation: NA (Only for ADSL1 & T1.413)
Upstream SNR Margin: NA (Only for ADSL1 & T1413)
Upstream Retransmission status: Disabled
Downstream Retransmission status: Disabled

Line Status : Port is in Showtime
Mode : 0x100000 (VDSL2 Profile 8A )
Upstream Payload Rate : 4032 kbps
Downstream : 26928 kbps
=================================================
DIAG Info:
=================================================
Attenuation ( dB ) : 21.3 0.00 (FE LATNpb-0)
46.30 (FE LATNpb-1)
0.00 (FE LATNpb-2)
0.00 (FE LATNpb-3)
0.00 (FE LATNpb-4)
SNR margin ( dB ) : 7.5 0.00 (FE SNRMpb-0)
7.90 (FE SNRMpb-1)
0.00 (FE SNRMpb-2)
0.00 (FE SNRMpb-3)
0.00 (FE SNRMpb-4)
US Aggregate Power : 7.9 dbm
DS Attainable Data Rate: 50652 kbps
US Attainable Data Rate: 5048 kbps
HEC counter : HEC_F:0
HEC_S:0
CRC counter : CRC_F:0
CRC_S: 16

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to greg9504

Premium Member

to greg9504
said by greg9504:

said by JC_:

Thanks, when you explain it that way it's not the least bit condescending. New modems do usually have new chip sets which usually do better with distance. No?

Being condescending wasn't my intention and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

The issue with speeds over distance is that I've found that the upload speed will suffer first and than download speed will be affected. Since you're getting 17.5/2.3 that's pretty good for 1.8km as I've done installs and repairs for customers around the same distance, +200/300m, and wasn't able to get them anything faster than 14-15/0.8.
said by greg9504:

I've had pair bonding working at my home. There's no technical reason to not do it.

There is no technical reason that it can't work it's just the current policy is Fibe TV only and 1.2/1.3km from the SLAM is the maximum distance being allowed.