uniqs

chachster
Premium Member
join:2002-08-07
Westerville, OH

chachster

Premium Member

Tech install vs Self Install

Moving into a different place and will be getting TWC for TV and Internet.

I have the choice of self install or tech install. I chose tech install so I could get the order in and chose a date as I don't want to start being billing until I am actually living there in a couple weeks.

With the tech install there is a 14.95 tech charge and one outlet free and since I am also getting 3 cablecards there is a charge for 59.97 (3 additional outlets) I really don't need that.

I'm thinking of calling and switching to self install. That would save me 14.95 tech fee and the 59.97 for three cablecards. (I don't understand that charge... I have 3 SiliconDUST tuners that will also be at the same location as the modem right inside where they bring in the cable)

Just wanted to get some input on how the self install went for TV and Internet (or some self install with all three) or if there is some advantage of having the tech come out.

I need to run additional outlets in the walls and have come to realize I need to do the wall fishing as that's not something in the standard install (and I am running cat6 at the same time)

Total equipment I will have:
Owned SB6141
1 HD DVR from TWC
3 CableCARDs from TWC for my SiliconDust HD HomeRun

Self Install Free..... Tech install 74.92 (I know where I am leaning)

Thanks!

jacko15
@174.100.251.x

jacko15

Anon

Seems like a no-brainer to me. If you have the time and skill sets, doing it yourself is pretty simple. I've always done my own installations, and never had a problem. I've done internet and TV, but never a cable card, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Fredtech
@93.174.93.x

Fredtech to chachster

Anon

to chachster
ima tech and gonna give the best advice so please read and take it. change the order to 1 box and do the $14.95 tech install. its worth the money because tech will come out and make sure all is good that includes connection at tap, no filters on the line installed. twc is trying to push this self install process but the reality more than 50% fail because of the things i just mentioned and then it requires a truck roll wasting more of your time and make you frustrated. after you get the first outlet working then order the cable cards for free with adapters if u need them.
»www.fcc.gov/guides/cable ··· r-rights
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to chachster

to chachster

I recommend having the tech out - Especially if your moving into an MDU [Apt Complex] (I don't know if you are or it's a house) but they will verify you have signal and that it's proper.. Self install is a gamble - If your signal isn't there or there is a break in the connection somewhere between you and the physical tap you would need to get a tech out there anyways.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to chachster

MVM,

to chachster
I prefer self-installs, but will agree with the other posters. Change your order to one box so you can avoid all those other BS fees. Once your service is setup, ask for 3 CableCARDs as self-install and install them on your own.

chachster
Premium Member
Westerville, OH

chachster to Fredtech

Premium Member

to Fredtech
I'm going to call and get the order changed and remove the three cablecards (do you know if I can just go to the Customer Service area of one the the "stores" to pick up the CableCARDS or will they mail them)

Makes sense as I would be frustrated if I couldn't get it working because of the cable coming in to the house.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Maverick
Premium Member
join:2002-01-01
West Hollywood, CA

Maverick

Premium Member

You can pick them up, just make sure you call your local TWC "store" to make sure they have some in stock, so as not to waste your time.

chachster
Premium Member
Westerville, OH

chachster to Fredtech

Premium Member

to Fredtech
said by Fredtech :

ima tech and gonna give the best advice so please read and take it. change the order to 1 box and do the $14.95 tech install. its worth the money because tech will come out and make sure all is good that includes connection at tap, no filters on the line installed. twc is trying to push this self install process but the reality more than 50% fail because of the things i just mentioned and then it requires a truck roll wasting more of your time and make you frustrated. after you get the first outlet working then order the cable cards for free with adapters if u need them.
»www.fcc.gov/guides/cable ··· r-rights

Paying for the tech install was great advice. The tech came in, did the wiring, modem hookup (modem was customer owned, he called and got it added) we verified it was working, then to the HDDVR and nothing. He hooked up his meter and said there is a trap somewhere. Went out to a few different pedestals, found and removed the trap, restarted the cable box and all was well. If that was me I would have been calling and having to get a tech out just as you said. Thanks again for the advice. Best 14.95 I spent to avoid be aggravated and spouting out curse words!