join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

guess they don't ever want my business

FreedomPoP nonworking qualification widget
What's one of the first things we see on their home page? Why, a "see if it's available in your area" widget of course. But if they're unwilling to take perfectly valid inputs, I guess I can't depend on how else they'll be screwey. No, thanks, I'll pass.

kieranmullen
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Portland, OR

kieranmullen

Premium Member

It may not be programmed to deny + gmail addresses, however it just may not me programmed to accepted characters in the email address. Who else does this?

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

The point is, if they can't be bothered figure out what constitutes a perfectly legal address, I probably don't want to do business with them. Addresses should not be rejected because they contain unconventional characters, or unexpected amount of domain labels (it's actually been suggested that the domain for my email, because it's a three label domain under .us, is not acceptable), or whatnot. My suggestion would be to follow the RFCs and not some corrupted notion of them. It may be a bit more complex than this, but anything to the left of "@" is domain-specific and should be neither tampered with nor interpreted. It should be an opaque token which is passed unaltered. There are extremely few restrictions on what that may contain, and I'm reasonably certain "+" is not one of those prohibitions. Based on that I'm also annoyed at servers which have been programmed to "think" that upper-casing the LHS is acceptable.