All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TazExprez
join:2002-04-27
Yonkers, NY

TazExprez

Do you need 2 media servers for FiOS Quantum if you have 7+ TVs?

I currently have FiOS with a 2 tuner multi-room DVR. I currently have 7 boxes, including the DVR, for my 8 TVs (1 is a front projector & in the same room as a regular TV). Would I be able to get 6 extenders & 1 media server? Would I be able to watch different shows on all 7 devices? I am in New York and Quantum service is not yet available here. Also, would I still need to pay for regular DVR service on top of all of the Quantum fees? Thanks a lot for any help and have a great evening!

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

No, you need 2 VMS's once you go over 6 TV's....Each VMS can communicate with up to 5 IPC's.
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by nycdave:

Each VMS can communicate with up to 5 IPC's

Unfortunately you are off by one, you can only have up to 4 IPCs connected to one VMS. See:

»www.verizon.com/Support/ ··· tm#faq06

rollinraver
Buffalo, NY

rollinraver to TazExprez

to TazExprez
The link you posted, actually has a chart that shows the "premium" option of 12 tv's being supported (which would be 2 VMS and 10 IPC). I would therefore say 1 VMS will support 5 IPC's...
justin9876
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by rollinraver:

The link you posted, actually has a chart that shows the "premium" option of 12 tv's being supported (which would be 2 VMS and 10 IPC). I would therefore say 1 VMS will support 5 IPC's...

I do not see any chart that shows that. I think what you are doing is assuming that, because you can record up to 6 (or 12) programs concurrently, you can attached up to 6 (or 12) TVs. That is not correct.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to rollinraver

MVM,

to rollinraver
Fine print under the table:
quote:
*Available with FiOS Quantum TV service on Set top box models %u2013 VMS1100 and IPC1100 ;2-10 TVs
**Available with FiOS Quantum TV service on Set top box models %u2013 VMS1100 and IPC1100; 1-5 TVs only;6+ TVs NA
* is for 2 VMS solution. ** is for 1 VMS.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

1 recommendation

nyrrule27 to justin9876

to justin9876
Actually Dave is correct. Don't question him
justin9876
Mount Juliet, TN

2 edits

justin9876

said by nyrrule27:

Actually Dave is correct.

No he is not. From: »newscenter.verizon.com/c ··· choices/

FiOS Quantum TV customers will use a next-generation set-top box known as a Video Media Server, which is smaller than the existing set-top box and acts as the brains of the FiOS Quantum TV setup.

Each Media Server, connected to one TV, serves as the hub for up to five TVs in a home. Each of four additional TVs can be connected to a Media Client, a compact companion device that communicates with the Media Server. The Premium Service, using two Video Media Servers, can connect up to 10 TVs and is ideal for the viewing needs of a household with six or more TVs.
TazExprez
Yonkers, NY

TazExprez

Thanks a lot for all of your help and I really appreciate the link to Verizon. I will need 2 media servers, then. I noticed that my 7232.2 2 tuner multi-room DVR fee will go from $19.99 to $32.00 for the 2 media servers. I am currently paying $7.99 for my 6 regular 7100.1 boxes, but the site doesn't mention the price for the extenders, so I guess it will remain the same. With my current setup I am paying $19.99 (MRDVR) + $47.94 (6 regular boxes) = $67.93 for all of the TV equipment. I guess when Quantum TV gets to New York I might be paying $32.00 (2 media servers) + $39.95 (5 extenders) = $71.95 for all of the TV equipment. I really hope that my TV equipment charges only go up by $71.95 - $67.93 = $4.02. This would be quite a deal for an additional 10 tuners. I don't need that many, but there have been times, almost always on Sundays, when 1 additional tuner would have been very welcomed. Thanks again for all of your help.
justin9876
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

I am in Texas, I have no idea whether the price here is the same or different in NY. But I just went and priced a 7 TV connection price, and it comes out as $32 for Premium Service and $53.99 for the Equipment Package (2 VMS, 5 IPC boxes), for a total of $85.99.

Again, your price in NY may be different, I don't know.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to TazExprez

MVM,

to TazExprez
Nation-wide pricing here (NY area pricing may be different when it finally gets there because NY is usually a little different):

»Re: [DVR] All Things VMS

But based on that pricing, it'll be $32 + $59.99 (8 TVs) = $91.99. Quite a hefty increase.

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave to justin9876

MVM

to justin9876
Correct. I was off by one. Each VMS can work with up to 4 IPC's...
justin9876
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by nycdave:

Correct. I was off by one. Each VMS can work with up to 4 IPC's...

Thanks Dave. I hated to even think of correcting you because you are always the fount of knowledge here on FiOS, but in this case I just felt like I needed to.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to nycdave

to nycdave
So you get 12 tuners but only 10 TVs? (or 6/5)?

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Yes.
TazExprez
Yonkers, NY

2 edits

TazExprez

I just did a pre-order and got the $24.99 upgrade fee waived. My bill will go up by $84.99 - $67.93 = $17.06, though. It's $52.99 for 7 TVs and $32.00 for premium service. 2 of my 8 TVs are connected to the same box because one of them is a front projector and the other is a regular LED TV. I only use 1 or the other, at a time, but rarely together. The price increase is a rip off, I think, but at least we can pause live TV on any TV, and there will no longer be any recording conflicts, ever, hopefully. The equipment should be delivered on or before 06/13/2014, according to the site.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

said by TazExprez:

I just did a pre-order and got the $24.99 upgrade fee waived

I know it's only $25, but again - this is BS that all of a sudden the NY area and others start getting the fee waived. I'm sure i could go online and bitch about it - but man - it's a bit insulting...
justin9876
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by SeattleMatt:

I know it's only $25, but again - this is BS that all of a sudden the NY area and others start getting the fee waived. I'm sure i could go online and bitch about it - but man - it's a bit insulting...

Agreed! Yes I got the VMS pretty early in the cycle, but I sure wasn't given any option to have that fee waived. Really it is the early adopters that should not have to pay a fee, we are the ones that have had to deal with the problems in the initial code that were fixed in the refresh. Really Verizon should pay us for being willing to debug their stuff!

(just ranting a little here, I really haven't had many problems with my VMS system, I am a happy customer, but it does bug me that I had to pay the $25 and others don't, I think Verizon should treat all of their customers the same)
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

2 recommendations

bsangs to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

said by TazExprez:

I just did a pre-order and got the $24.99 upgrade fee waived

I want to wake up, in a city that never sleeps...And find our upgrade fees waived, cuz we're top of the heap...

Sing it with me Jeep!
TazExprez
Yonkers, NY

TazExprez

I think this waived fee offer is only for pre-orders because the email I received yesterday said that it was only valid until June 2. I also noticed that my 7 room charge is $52.99, instead of $53.99, so I guess the New York market saves $1.00 over the regular $53.99 charge.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to justin9876

Premium Member

to justin9876
said by justin9876:

(just ranting a little here, I really haven't had many problems with my VMS system, I am a happy customer, but it does bug me that I had to pay the $25 and others don't, I think Verizon should treat all of their customers the same)

+1
I never was given the opportunity to pre-order to get the fee waived.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to justin9876

Premium Member

to justin9876
said by justin9876:

............(just ranting a little here, I really haven't had many problems with my VMS system, I am a happy customer, but it does bug me that I had to pay the $25 and others don't, I think Verizon should treat all of their customers the same

They never have before, so why would they start now?

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to TazExprez

to TazExprez
Verizon adds new promos all the time to get people to switch or in this case signup for the VMS. Sheez I missed out on a free DVR for life by ordering my triple play one week early but that's life...