Search similar:

uniqs

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter

su - authentication failure

I've been an Debian based distro user for years. I want to give Fedora 20 a spin. I was a RedHat 6,7, and 8 user back in the day before Fedora existed, but a lot has changed. Well my noob is showing, becasue I'm stuck on something very basic. On Ubuntu we generally use the sudo command to perform admin tasks. I would use su -i if I wanted to open a root shell. I'm following some instructions to install b43 drivers, and it said to first do su - then install a package using yum. su - asks for a password. It doesn't accept my user password, I only have one user, so I don't know what it wants.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

It wants the root password. Sudo is not set up by default.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

Ah, yes. I forgot that I had to set a root password during install. I'm not used to doing that.

Got it. Thanks

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
Now use that to set up sudo and you will be good to go and can keep using things as you are used to.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

I'll probably do that. I need to get the wireless working first. It's pretty useless right now.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
sudo is actually setup by default nowadays on Fedora, but during the installation you need to be sure to check the Administrator box during the user creation part of the installer.

Also, I would recommend installing the b43 drivers or any other 3rd party items from the RPMFusion repos.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
And make sure the b43 drivers aren't included. They are in many distros. They still may not work(or work properly with decent performance) without the proprietary firmware which is available in many distros via the repos though not included for being proprietary. Some purist distros without many third party repos and all open source software may need fwcutter and the Windows drivers which then fwcutter will extract the firmware from. Had to do that in Debian in the old days with my old 43xx chipset based card but now the firmware itself is in some repos. Not sure if it is with Fedora though I would say likely with RPM Fusion.