uniqs

thescinema
join:2005-03-29
Cleveland, OH

thescinema to Zupper

to Zupper

Re: [Internet] NEO TWC Problems

Click for full size
Was told by a TWC rep in TWC direct that they are aware of the issues plaguing us.
ThirtyReset
join:2014-05-28
Akron, OH

ThirtyReset

Good to know they at least seem to be aware of it now. No one I spoke to yesterday would acknowledge any problems.
blackride5
join:2011-05-31
Brecksville, OH

blackride5 to CCat

to CCat
I am still having problems in Brecksville just like everyone else it seems. I have a tech coming out at 7pm tonight. I will post after that if I hear anything...
rkountz
join:2001-01-25
Northfield, OH

rkountz to rainlake

to rainlake
Exactly -- I wish there was someway to just force my modem to ignore 105Mhz. When the SnR gets low enough that it drops off the stat page and isn't bonded, my bandwidth is great.

Then it comes back, and with it, sub 1Mb/s speeds and packet loss.

aas000
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
Willoughby, OH

aas000 to CCat

Premium Member

to CCat
Still bad in Kirtland...
blackride5
Brecksville, OH

blackride5 to CCat

to CCat
Here is what they told me so far "I do apologize, I'm detecting an area issue causing this, it's being worked on & will be fixed ASAP, no timeframe. Take care."

Being in IT myself, I would love to know what is actually being worked on though...

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

The system maintenance techs are working on fixing the sources of "noise" being let into the system. Problem is, they are used to noise in the return spectrum that funnels back to the headend and comes from one to a few sources.

"Noise" on the forward spectrum doesn't funnel back to the headend. It's blocked from traveling back at each of the amps and nodes, but because it's in the forward spectrum it's amplified and distributed downstream to all the customers connected to that section.

A relatively powerful and close fm station can and does usually get in at multiple points in a cable distribution system. Strong enough signals will overpower shielding in devices in homes and the distribution system. Weak points such as loose connectors and damaged cabling will also let the signals in. Fix one point and that branch is fixed but it does nothing for the other branches poisoned by other entry points. But it can't be monitored by the normal tools used to track and fix return signal noise, it's invisible to that. Cable techs have to interrogate all the end points having problems and trace upstream from there. Also problems like this are hard to keep "fixed" as one bad install, device, connector, or cable can ruin the local distribution branch all over again.

That's usually why cable systems don't put anything important in channels that overlap the fm band.

I fought it for years as an installer, service tech, and line maintenance tech for different companies. Different Engineering groups would put channels there because they'd see open space on their channel spreadsheets. My team would troubleshoot for days and weeks until management got the point it was a loosing battle and told engineering to change it. New engineering group, new channels attempted. Then I got a position in the local headend and I can say no ( with documented proof) before it's launched.
blackride5
Brecksville, OH

blackride5

said by DocDrew:

The system maintenance techs are working on fixing the sources of "noise" being let into the system. Problem is, they are used to noise in the return spectrum that funnels back to the headend and comes from one to a few sources.

"Noise" on the forward spectrum doesn't funnel back to the headend. It's blocked from traveling back at each of the amps and nodes, but because it's in the forward spectrum it's amplified and distributed downstream to all the customers connected to that section.

A relatively powerful and close fm station can and does usually get in at multiple points in a cable distribution system. Strong enough signals will overpower shielding in devices in homes and the distribution system. Weak points such as loose connectors and damaged cabling will also let the signals in. Fix one point and that branch is fixed but it does nothing for the other branches poisoned by other entry points. But it can't be monitored by the normal tools used to track and fix return signal noise, it's invisible to that. Cable techs have to interrogate all the end points having problems and trace upstream from there. Also problems like this are hard to keep "fixed" as one bad install, device, connector, or cable can ruin the local distribution branch all over again.

That's usually why cable systems don't put anything important in channels that overlap the fm band.

I fought it for years as an installer, service tech, and line maintenance tech for different companies. Different Engineering groups would put channels there because they'd see open space on their channel spreadsheets. My team would troubleshoot for days and weeks until management got the point it was a loosing battle and told engineering to change it. New engineering group, new channels attempted. Then I got a position in the local headend and I can say no ( with documented proof) before it's launched.

If it takes them weeks to solve this I am headed back to UVERSE that's for sure.

DrDrew thanks for explaining that.
rbrenner87
join:2014-03-14

rbrenner87 to CCat

to CCat
Still experiencing very heavy packet loss and speeds less than 1mb/s download.
Google homepage fails to load 50% of the time.
Posting on my phone because the cell network can actually pull up this webpage.

Kirtland Ohio here.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to CCat

MVM

to CCat
Amazing how one channel can ruin the whole experience. Thought maybe D3 modems would be smart enough to use other channels.

I guess the CMTS is deciding since that is downstream channel ID 1, it gets priority, and unfortunately for you guys that's right in the heart of the FM radio noise issue. It still would be nice if the modem said upstream "Hey my channel at 105 Mhz signal sucks, please only register / talk to me on the other channels", but I guess they don't do that.

Again we are not allowed to use Ch 97 (105 MHz) here and it will be vacant maybe forever. Also the system I'm in, all new cabling is Commscope quad shield. Still too much old stuff out there to risk using Ch 97.
blackride5
Brecksville, OH

1 edit

blackride5 to CCat

to CCat
double post
blackride5

blackride5 to CCat

to CCat
It's funny how their support is saying that they don't inform operational resources what the area issue is or what the ETA is. I told them they are not being honest to me and how to use BMC Remedy to look up the issue. They were , umm, speechless....
brian0159
join:2010-07-29
Sheffield Lake, OH

brian0159 to CCat

to CCat
Yep getting same issues here in Sheffield/Avon last 2 days. Tech support acts clueless as usual and just gives the generic troubleshooting tips. Hopefully they get this fixed as it really cripples the entire connection for us and might as well be down.
speedyd718
join:2014-01-30
Cleveland, OH

speedyd718

Just wanted to add that I am experiencing issues in South Euclid. I've had spotty connection for the better part of a week. Lots of T3/T4 and MDD error logs. Also getting downstream channel 1 consistently dropping out. Hope things get sorted out soon.
erk0700
join:2009-09-07

erk0700 to CCat

to CCat
I'm in South Euclid and have the same issues. Sometimes it'll be fine for up to 10 min but I'm getting about 11% packet loss over an hour or so.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
It's not a good idea to use FM band especially around my House I see the FM towers. & there is some Very strong stations coming from them.
ThirtyReset
Akron, OH

ThirtyReset to CCat

to CCat
Seeing signs of life again in Copley. SnR is back up to normal levels for me and speeds look good. The TWC forums have a good thread going on this now as well, several positive responses (and a post from the Community Manager earlier tonight finally acknowledging the issue).
subeffect7

subeffect7 to CCat

to CCat
Decent thread here with some details, along the lines of what some of the more cable-tech savvy folks have said.. also a post from a TWC person (without details, but at least acknowledgement): »forums.timewarnercable.c ··· -p/32530

Being an IT guy, i don't know anything about cable/docsis/QAM signaling, but it's all fairly interesting to me, it's just not my area. So, are folks saying the third modem channel was not on 105 mhz last week, so a change has been seen? Does make sense to me..

In my world, we roll back changes that cause outages/performance degradation... must not be that simple.
wilsoda
Premium Member
join:2007-07-06
NE Ohio

wilsoda to CCat

Premium Member

to CCat
The problem seems to be resolved for me. The 105Mhz channel SNR is back to my normal 38 with very few errors.
rainlake
join:2006-10-03
Twinsburg, OH

rainlake

Same here

aas000
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
Willoughby, OH

aas000 to CCat

Premium Member

to CCat
Good in Kirtland, OH again.

thescinema
join:2005-03-29
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

thescinema to CCat

to CCat
Click for full size
Aaaand we're back with the bad channel 1 and uncorrectable codewords. Pffft.

(forgot to mention I'm in Cleveland proper, near Garfield)

OhioGuy
@170.218.219.x

OhioGuy

Anon

Same here. I called and they are denying that it is a area issue. They did this last time but its the same issue on the 105mhz.

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Well, it seems the engineers know that the webmail server is having problems...again...it's been happening every week since I last posted *sighs* everything is fine from 5AM until noonish...then webmail doesn't work until maybe 4PM or so...that was yesterday...it was fine at 5AM...but problem started again at 7AM !!! and this is today
LadyL

LadyL

Premium Member

Webmail is still not working

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Yes its still broken.

Hob

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Well it seems to be working again...just got 25 emails...starting time of 1:05PM today until 9:42 PM today...I was on pogo since last post and I did check at various times during the afternoon/evening...so I guess those 25 emails were in a 'holding' pattern ... let's see if 'problem' happens again tomorrow !
LadyL

LadyL

Premium Member

keeping fingers crossed...webmail seems to be working properly...so far...today

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by LadyL:

keeping fingers crossed...webmail seems to be working properly...so far...today

There are still a few issues.

Hob

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

yup...it works when it wants to...but it isn't working for several hours now. *rolls eyes*