spc
Search similar:

uniqs

robertrust
join:2014-05-23
Decatur, GA

robertrust

Best and Most Useful FireFox Add-ons?

Just downloaded Firefox on my new laptop. Any suggestions as to which Plug-ins or Add-ons I should download?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

»[FireFox] * E s s e n t i a l * Addons 2014

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS TM3402
Asus RT-AC68

MarkRH to robertrust

Premium Member

to robertrust
Half or more of those extensions listed in that thread would not be on my list. For Firefox 29, my 1st 2 extensions would be Adblock Plus and Classic Theme Restorer (to restore my UI preferences).

Every time one of these lists gets started, if you installed everything that everyone listed, you'd have 200 extensions or something it seems. I suppose they give you a sampling of what is out there and available.

Here's my installation: »www.markheadrick.com/fir ··· ig.shtml I am sure that some of the extensions I use, 95% of the folks out there do not.

Many of them I leave disabled until I need them for a specific purpose.

Kit
@108.28.157.x

Kit

Anon

That raises a question I've never seen answered anywhere, i.e., whether disabled extensions and themes add to the amount of memory Firefox consumes when it is loaded? If you or anyone else knows the answer to that, I would appreciate knowing.

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS TM3402
Asus RT-AC68

MarkRH

Premium Member

said by Kit :

That raises a question I've never seen answered anywhere, i.e., whether disabled extensions and themes add to the amount of memory Firefox consumes when it is loaded? If you or anyone else knows the answer to that, I would appreciate knowing.

Disabled extensions and themes do not consume any memory because none of their code is loaded or executed. Think of them as programs on your computer. Until you actually load and run them, they take up no memory other than disk space. When checking for add-on updates, yes they do add to the time it takes to check for updates, but that's it.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to Kit

to Kit
I found this addon useful as to resources being used - about-addons-memory

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· /?src=ss

about:addons-memory provides an experimental about: page for advanced users to display some memory usage statistics about their add-ons.

To use, open about:addons-memory in a new tab.

Kit
@108.28.157.x

Kit to MarkRH

Anon

to MarkRH
Mark: Thanks. I've been reluctant to install some extensions that are useful, but only needed on occasion. Knowing they can be disabled and not consume memory is helpful.

Hortnut: Thanks. I've been reluctant to install that addon precisely because it consumes memory itself