All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Ike1
join:2012-06-02
Brooklyn, NY

Ike1

Will TWC still activate service w/older modems like SB5101?

I'm moving into an exclusive TWC building in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. I've never had to deal with TW before. Will they still activate service if I buy a Motorola SB5101? I notice it's no longer on their list of approved modems, but it was until just recently. Are they really strict about this new modem list? Keep in mind I'm not trying to get turbo speeds here. I might just get the cheapo 2/1 plan since I don't download a lot of big files.
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA

spdickey

I've had them active modems that were never on their list before.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to Ike1

Premium Member

to Ike1
If you're buying a new modem, get a DOCSIS 3 modem already. It doesn't matter what speed you want, your modem has to play in the same sand as everyone else.

That said, I don't think they much care about old DOCSIS 2.0 modems anymore. I just turned in my decade old 5100.

Ike1
join:2012-06-02
Brooklyn, NY

Ike1

said by cramer:

It doesn't matter what speed you want, your modem has to play in the same sand as everyone else.

What does that even mean? At speeds that low, would having DOCSIS 3.0 instead of DOCSIS 2.0 still actually eke out a few more kbps somehow? And if so, then what kind of potential difference are we talking about? 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 mbps? You'll have to forgive me, I'm not too well-read on the technical aspects of cable modems.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

It means please purchase a modem on the approved list.

Hob

xer008
Premium Member
join:2000-05-22
socal

xer008 to Ike1

Premium Member

to Ike1
No but if you get the 2/1 plan on the DOC2 modem, and its congested, you'll only get (for example) 500k, but if you're on a DOC3 you'll get the full 2/1. Or you may not notice a thing.

Doesn't matter what we say, TW will either say yes or no
Expand your moderator at work

jacko15
@174.100.251.x

jacko15 to Ike1

Anon

to Ike1

Re: Will TWC still activate service w/older modems like SB5101?

My ancient Moto SB5120 works fine. I have 15/1 plan and my speeds are rock solid, always. A docsis 3 modem will definitely help if your node is congested. Mine isn't, so I haven't upgraded. If you want to save money on buying a new modem, and have a plan without real high speeds, like 15/1 or less, I'd try the SB5101 and see how it works. I'd bet dollars to donuts it will get provisioned when you start your service. If you have issues, then upgrade your modem.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to xer008

to xer008
typically CMTS' are not that congested to get that low of speeds, generally it's in the ~2-5Mbps when congested from my experiences across multiple cable companies.

to the OP, just use the 5101, it's way more than sufficient for a 2/1 plan considering you're jumping on a 38Mbps channel to share.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to Ike1

Premium Member

to Ike1
people still using old docsis2 modems may not be sensitive enough to their isp service to realize how unstable a connection they really have, or how poorly docsis2 may deal with primetime network congestion. i went back nearly 3 years of my twc isp test data, and the stability difference between my current docsis3 sb6141 versus the rca and ubie modems i have before was obvious and dramatic, but if you don't "feel" you need to, then stick with docsis2 until your provider tells you they will no longer support them. btw, it's unlikely your firmware has been upgraded for years, which increases the potential that someone nefarious could exploit them somehow.