Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer

Re: [Internet] Ubee Modems

said by neonhomer:

Maybe.... You notice we've never seen him in the wild?

said by geo44:

Are you implying that Gary is a Cardassian?

LOL!

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Still smelling like a permanent marker... after a week..

That's what that was... it wasn't a battery, it was a burnt marker scent cartridge...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to neonhomer
I admit it...you got me It's hidden in the battery compartment ....

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

No, it *is* the battery... It's why BHN wants you to buy the battery from them.... LOL

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

just for grins and giggles , log in to modem and click on battery status.
Just curious as to what temp you are getting there NH

Mine is:
Temperature : 100 deg.F / 38 deg.C

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

My battery is 96 deg.F
gigahurtz

gigahurtz to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
I know this began as a joke for you, but since it's a BHN modem why not go and swap it out? I would imagine smelling that in an office or any room wouldn't be an enjoyable thing to deal with.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Because my local BHN office will not swap a modem on a walk-in. I have to have a tech come out, and that's kinda hard to deal with when i don't get home until 6-7 pm.

Geo44 - I will look at it when I get to the house and post.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Wow, they won't swap a modem in office? That seems a bit ridiculous, especially under these circumstances.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

Because my local BHN office will not swap a modem on a walk-in. I have to have a tech come out, and that's kinda hard to deal with when i don't get home until 6-7 pm.

Geo44 - I will look at it when I get to the house and post.

There are always weekends
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to neonhomer

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

Because my local BHN office will not swap a modem on a walk-in.

Odd. I swapped out 3-4 D2 modems last year with no problem at my local lobby. Has BHN changed its policy on this, or does this apply to D3 modems?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to neonhomer
D2 one thing... D3 another...

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to geo44

Premium Member

to geo44
Temperature : 123 deg.F / 51 deg.C

Weekends are my time.. Not to be used for waiting for BHN to show up... Though I will give them this... the last couple of times I have had to have a BHN tech out here, they were here within 30 min of the start of the window.

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

123 F seems a bit warm for a battery. Cant find any spec for that battery so I dont know if thats safe or not
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by geo44:

123 F seems a bit warm for a battery. Cant find any spec for that battery so I dont know if thats safe or not

What you can't see is NH's hand holding the hair drier to the battery compartment

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by geo44:

What you can't see is NH's hand holding the hair drier to the battery compartment

LOL Im beginning to think thats the case.

At any rate the general info that I have found on Li-ion batteries is that the upper limit for charging is 113 F / 45 C
so it would seem that the temp is a bit high.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

He's trying to get the temp up to the point where a self sustaining reaction starts (see Seconds from Disaster)

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

1 edit

neonhomer

Premium Member

I'm trying to invent nuclear fusion... then we get fusion reactors.. then we get impulse drive.. then warp drive... then we're mixing it up with the Vulcans...

My modems have always run hot. I think it's because it's mounted to the side of the shelf that holds up the top of the computer desk. That and we don't have central air (we use window shakers), so this room gets a bit warm during the day.

My old (keyword... MINE.. not BHN's) Surfboard used to have a fan on it. If I could get away with it, I would find a way to mount a fan on this thing...

I could always grab one of the $300 MNL-20 programmable controllers, a platinum temp sensor, and a fan, and program it to turn on a fan onto the modem when the room temp gets above 80deg... Of course that requires a separate 24VAC transformer to run it, plus the $1500 software tool to program the controller.... Then I could add a JACE-700 to create graphics and monitor the room temperature using Niagara AX.... Hmmmmm

With the air running...

Temperature : 118 deg.F / 48 deg.C

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

said by neonhomer:

If I could get away with it, I would find a way to mount a fan on this thing...

The handy mans secret weapon, duct tape (Red Green)
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

I'm trying to invent nuclear fusion... then we get fusion reactors.. then we get impulse drive.. then warp drive... then we're mixing it up with the Vulcans...

My modems have always run hot. I think it's because it's mounted to the side of the shelf that holds up the top of the computer desk. That and we don't have central air (we use window shakers), so this room gets a bit warm during the day.

My old (keyword... MINE.. not BHN's) Surfboard used to have a fan on it. If I could get away with it, I would find a way to mount a fan on this thing...

I could always grab one of the $300 MNL-20 programmable controllers, a platinum temp sensor, and a fan, and program it to turn on a fan onto the modem when the room temp gets above 80deg... Of course that requires a separate 24VAC transformer to run it, plus the $1500 software tool to program the controller.... Then I could add a JACE-700 to create graphics and monitor the room temperature using Niagara AX.... Hmmmmm

With the air running...

Temperature : 118 deg.F / 48 deg.C

Me thinks you are just looking for reasons to buy new toys...sounds good to me

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Buy? My company just received five JACE 700's, and we ordered ten more for a project in Jacksonville. I wonder if they would miss one of them.... LOL...

Temperature : 113 deg.F / 45 deg.C - After the air running last night and the room maintaining 74 deg space temp.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to neonhomer

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

You might have been half joking, but that could be a cool project (sorry) to take under. In fact, you can do this in under $100 of hardware: relay to drive the fan, temp sensor (really high accuracy might be more expensive), and any one of the cheap embedded system with analog input on the market (Arduino comes to mind), or even just a potentiometer.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

1 edit

neonhomer

Premium Member

I have an Arduino sitting here doing nothing....

I also have a Schneider Electric MNL-20 Lonworks controller sitting here as well... (had bad caps.. out of warranty.. Company gives me these things.. I recap them and they are good!)

Combine that with a MN-S3 (or MN-S3HT for humidity), a BAPI Platinum temp sensor, and I have the beginnings of a disaster.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to neonhomer
Please I beg of you do not plug into the grid in any way. I just picture something going wrong and you somehow finding a way to take down power or water for half the USA.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Actually, all this stuff runs off of 24VAC... And I have 24VAC power supplies.

I do this for a living... so I know what I am doing.. LOL
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

I do this for a living... so I know what I am doing.. LOL

That IS what scares me

telijah