Search similar:

uniqs
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

1 recommendation

themagicone

Re: [Carpentry] Simple Deck Plan

Power company stopped by. They said clearance is fine, just don't block the meter so they can read it.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

I don't buy that for 1 second. There is no way in the world that meter can be pulled now.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

... and he has the railing to go up yet also which will make it worse ... The railing nazis
here wouldn't allow pickets to be offset to make a hole for the meter.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

2 recommendations

Critsmcgee to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

I don't buy that for 1 second. There is no way in the world that meter can be pulled now.

You don't have to buy it though. If the OP says his own stuff is fine then it's fine. Why do people need to harp on stuff that obviously isn't getting changed? Too many pit bulls in this thread.
themagicone
Osseo, MN

themagicone to kherr

to kherr
I don't need a railing. It's not over 30" from the ground per code.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to themagicone

to themagicone
did not know about hidden fastners, now makes we wonder if i should switch to them before doing my deck.

does it only work by landing on a joist? so your only doing 2 screws per joist?

any close up photo's of the screw inserts. im using deckmate, but now im reconsidering
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

1 recommendation

66860111 (banned)

said by LittleBill:

did not know about hidden fastners, now makes we wonder if i should switch to them before doing my deck.

any close up photo's of the screw inserts. im using deckmate, but now im reconsidering

I think he used this or something like this.
»www.amazon.com/Kreg-KJDE ··· 03CIP4G2

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to Critsmcgee

MVM

to Critsmcgee
Don't put it on the fucking internet if you don't want people to talk about it.
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned)

said by nunya:

Don't put it on the fucking internet if you don't want people to talk about it.

Talk is one thing. What you guys were doing after the guy said it as fine is entirely another thing. Sometimes it feels like a re-run of Grumpy Old Men here.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to themagicone

Premium Member

to themagicone
said by themagicone:

It may not need one per code but it would sure look a lot better. The deck construction looks great but aesthetically from your pictures it's lacking in eye appeal.
themagicone
Osseo, MN

themagicone

Don't think a railing will affect looks but will price. Would be another grand to put on one. I think wrapping the fascia with white pvc will finish it off well. Plus I am building some planters and benches with the scraps.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200 to themagicone

Premium Member

to themagicone
TBH, it looks like if you had moved it a foot over, you would have got 3 things out of
it:

1. If you ever put handrails up, they would have hit dead at the edge of the door frame by the meter

2. that concrete walkway coming out at a 45 angle would have lined up perfect with the stairs

3. You would have gained another foot away from the meter, possibly making that meter serviceable.
LittleBill

1 edit

LittleBill to 66860111

to 66860111
said by 66860111:

said by LittleBill:

I think he used this or something like this.
»www.amazon.com/Kreg-KJDE ··· 03CIP4G2

i just looked at this for an hour

im going with »www.lowes.com/ProductDis ··· d=detail

*Fixed Link!

this is the camo system with a marksman edge tool. it doesn't use gaps period when installing so the shrink won't be bad. i read the reviews of the other guns and minus the x1 it seems its leaving way to much of a gap, and if you read the tool description they are mentioning composite not PT
themagicone
Osseo, MN

themagicone

The camo is nice but it misses a hit
LittleBill

LittleBill

what does this mean?

which one did you primary use?
themagicone
Osseo, MN

themagicone

Sorry auto correct. It misses once in awhile so you have to take the screw out and redo it. I mainly used the kreg as it seemed to hold better also and hide the screw head deeper. I used the camo for the outside as I didn't have any gaps there.
LittleBill

LittleBill

which camo tool did you use? im literally starting this tomorrow, and was going with deckmate. i have changed directions again
themagicone
Osseo, MN

themagicone

The marksman tool.
LittleBill

LittleBill

edge, pro, x1? they are all different, sorry for being specific, i am planning on buying today
themagicone
Osseo, MN

themagicone to LittleBill

to LittleBill
»m.homedepot.com/p/CAMO-M ··· 98346236
LittleBill

LittleBill to themagicone

to themagicone
nice, the one i was looking at.

did the KERF allow no spacing? PT shrinks bad. i set boards tight years ago on a trailer and they are now quarter to half inch gaps. i did not paint or seal, so i am hoping that is minimized
themagicone
Osseo, MN

themagicone

The kerg is min 1/4" may be a little less. But I used cedar so hopefully the shrinking is minimal.
LittleBill

LittleBill

wish i could afford cedar

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Killa200

Premium Member

to Killa200
said by Killa200:

TBH, it looks like if you had moved it a foot over, you would have got 3 things out of
it:

1. If you ever put handrails up, they would have hit dead at the edge of the door frame by the meter

2. that concrete walkway coming out at a 45 angle would have lined up perfect with the stairs

3. You would have gained another foot away from the meter, possibly making that meter serviceable.

+1 on all that.

You're still too close to the meter, you missed lining up to the existing concrete walk and a handrail could have been easily integrated right next to the door if you'd have made the deck one foot or so shorter on that end.
themagicone
Osseo, MN

themagicone to LittleBill

to LittleBill
Cedar really only cost us an extra $250 for 300sqft. Way worth it with the garbage that is PT now days.
LittleBill

LittleBill

maybe its based where you are, here it was over double and i already sank 2k worth into PT
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned)

said by LittleBill:

maybe its based where you are, here it was over double and i already sank 2k worth into PT

I did a deck in October last year. Cedar was roughly 50% more then PT. Composite was about double cedar. We just did PT and it looks fine.

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic to themagicone

Premium Member

to themagicone
Did you notch the posts for the beams to sit on? That way the load is carried structurally and you don't rely totally on fasteners to support the weight.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to themagicone

to themagicone
Depending on how high off the ground your deck is, it may not pass building code without a railing all around it, with spacing small enough to prevent a child from squeezing through it. I don't have any kids and still had to put up a railing on mine, and it's not any higher off the ground than yours.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by 8744675:

Depending on how high off the ground your deck is, it may not pass building code without a railing all around it...

said by themagicone:

I'd say he's got that covered.