carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Sprint

We like freedom of choice and use.

TMO lets us root our phones to get rid of carrier crap. We can also buy unlocked GSM and use them on TM network. We don't get charged extra for LTE service when we don't have it. Sprint charged a friend an extra $10 for the non-existant service years ago, and it's still not here.

I can have data on one line only. I have 2 lines that don't. One doesn't want it, the other phone is held for a family member when she comes Stateside once a year.

I don't need to be told how to use the phone.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

The extra $10 4g dates back to WiMax when Clear launched their first market.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Wile I like choice and competition, the scope and size of TMO and Sprint are too small to compete w/ ATT and VZW because they are too capitally intensive and are under scarcity (spectrum), so eventually they will need to combine. Look up rules of three.

And before you guys light me up on Mhz, the only juicy spectrum those guys have is the old Nextel Sprint. Everything else is physically challenging.

The new spectrum auctions will be telling, and if Sprint/TMO get adequate low-freq that may change the valuation somewhat, and will make the merger even more likely--the capital outlay still there.

Verizon/T have many more users and low-freq, less towers, and own more backhaul. These are all assets Sprint/TMO as separate entities cannot overcome without massive price discrimination which they can't afford. Check the profitability of T/VZ versus Sprint/TMO...

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to carpetshark3

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

TMO lets us root our phones to get rid of carrier crap. We can also buy unlocked GSM and use them on TM network. We don't get charged extra for LTE service when we don't have it. Sprint charged a friend an extra $10 for the non-existant service years ago, and it's still not here.

Add to that Sprint refuses to unlock my paid off iPhone 4S for domestic SIM usage. Apple says it can be done but it is up to Sprint to authorize. Sprint says "go to hell. We will NEVER unlock it". So if I got another Sprint phone, my 4S becomes a domestic brick. And this is the policy Son wants to bring to T-Mobile??? No thank you. I hope to switch back to T-Mobile at some future date and kiss off Sprint, their crappy policies and lousy network. I don't even try and use their cellular data any longer and have had 0 bytes of usage since December opting for public WiFi instead. Of course Sprint will not allow my employer to terminate the data component of my service so we pay $20 a month on my line for a service I do not use.

Bite me Sprint...

atcotr
@65.60.144.x

atcotr to elefante72

Anon

to elefante72
the 2 smaller carriers might be able to get some lower band spectrum. But with respect to market share they're probably screwed until they can get the coverage which requires the spectrum and capital outlay. Both of which kind of require market share. Another thing working against the small cellular company is backhaul. T Mobile actually planned ahead by bringing faster lines to their sites so now all they have to do is install faster radios. Since the 2 smaller companies aren't monopoly telcos it's going to be harder for them to get backhaul everywhere even if they have sub-1Ghz channels because the two big companies aren't dying to help out a competitor. I don't think the DOJ/FCC can magically even the playing field even with the screen.

bkwest77
@70.169.193.x

bkwest77 to n2jtx

Anon

to n2jtx
»www.cnet.com/news/sprint ··· ebruary/

They actually plan on allowing it!

/b
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks
Regardless 4g in St. Louis on Sprint sucks to the point I never even turn it on yet I have to pay a $10 enhanced data fee for it.

That is one reason I will not be a sprint customer much longer.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to elefante72

to elefante72
There are several rules of three. Which rule of 3?

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx
Heck even Verizon sells unlocked iPhones!

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to n2jtx

to n2jtx
the 4S on Sprint is a CDMA phone you won't be able to unlock it
Eagles1221

Eagles1221 to chip89

to chip89
LTE phones are required by law to be unlocked when sold. The Iphone 4S is not an LTE phone and that invalidates your point (sorry about that(

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to bkwest77

Premium Member

to bkwest77
I didn't see any legally binding commitment in the announcement. Given their past history, it isn't real until it happens.

Aoxxt
join:2010-12-13
Dearborn, MI

Aoxxt to elefante72

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

Wile I like choice and competition, the scope and size of TMO and Sprint are too small to compete w/ ATT and VZW because they are too capitally intensive and are under scarcity (spectrum), so eventually they will need to combine. Look up rules of three.

History proves you wrong.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to bkwest77

Premium Member

to bkwest77
said by bkwest77 :

»www.cnet.com/news/sprint ··· ebruary/

They actually plan on allowing it!

Did you even read it?
quote:
And sorry, iPhone users, Sprint still won't be able to unlock Apple's flagship phone due to various restrictions, a Sprint spokeswoman told CNET.
So no, n2jtx will still be SOL even if he buys a new iphone after 2/2015.

/M
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
Sprint has the spectrum. They arguably have by far the best spectrum position, since they have nationwide low-band AND a massive pile of 2600.
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

rahvin112 to Eagles1221

to Eagles1221
There is no such law.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Eagles1221

Premium Member

to Eagles1221
Well knowing Verizon they are choosing to they just have to give $ to the right people and they are fine. Like with Google Wallet. »phandroid.com/2013/04/30 ··· -wallet/
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to rahvin112

Premium Member

to rahvin112
bn1221 is talking about phones that use 700c on Verizon, but completely misstated it to apply to all phones, which is not the case.
FlyBoyMark
join:2012-01-11
Lake City, FL

FlyBoyMark to elefante72

to elefante72
Boy .....You have no idea....Sprint is the largest wholesaler to MVO's in the country. How about dumping the MVO's that pay wholesale prices, except (Boost and Virgin ; wholly owned by Sprint)and selling the spectrum to higher paying consumers....NOOOooooooo, shortage of spectrum and caps are all horse pucky to fork you in the anus for money! Wake up and smell the coffee!