Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone

1 edit

1 recommendation

What's your Security routine for Windows 7 PC?

I use 4 packages for Win 7 security.

Avast! Antivirus runs at all times.

I use the following updated packages, every couple of weeks to do a Full scan & clean:

Scan with Avast! (full or boot time)
SuperAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes AntiMalware
CCleaner

I also use Windows Disk Cleanup.
Free version of each.

I don't encounter many problems. Most frequent finds are Ad Tracking Cookies and the occasional PUP to remove.

Is that a pretty thorough regimen?

(without going to the full obsessive mode).
--
YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably.
»www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
Common sense (hopefully)

Windows Firewall
Run as Administrator (I'm pretty sure?)
Mozilla browser
NoScript

A pretty thorough regimen (without going to the full obsessive mode) .

> Common sense (hopefully)

But then from my reply, perhaps, Uncommon sense.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to koam
I use a program called Buffer Zone pro and Spyshelter along with an AVP.

Works well for me.

»www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/···ro.shtml

»www.spyshelter.com/download-spyshelter/
--
We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools!

Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
reply to therube
I have Windows Firewall as well. I never look at it. It never tells me anything happened. I never change settings.

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to koam
I employ EMET, CryptoPrevent and use a Hosts file list in addition to what koam and theRube mention.
--
If I can only find my keys...

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH
could always take the host file stuff to the next step and install a dns server on your comp. Then you can basically cut the tether to your isps dns. Theres tons out there and all use files stored on your comp. Making man in the middle type attacks impossible long as you get the updates etc from known good sources. I typically set one up on my comps and its nice when you don't get any delays in a web page starting to load cause your isps dns wants to be slow and crappy. I typically see probably a couple second faster page load as i don't have to worry about off comp dns look ups. Pretty much same as if you had every known site listed in a host file.

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
reply to koam
Windows 7 Home Premium

In no particular order:

Standard User Account for everything but program and Windows updates
Firefox or Chrome (with ad blocking and other useful extensions) NO IE!
Sandboxie
Parental Controls to block unknown exe's (I have no kids)
NOD32 Antivirus
Malwarebytes
WinPatrol
HOSTS file
EMET
Windows Firewall

Probably forgetting some other minor items.

I also consider my imaging software as an important part of my security. I make full images and backup my data regularly.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to koam
Forgot to add ,a Hosts file and OpenDns server and Palemoon with an ad proxy.

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
Barberton, OH
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Forgot to add ,a Hosts file and OpenDns server and Palemoon with an ad proxy

Aint it great having basically full control over your own dns?
I had one set up with all sorts of custom dns names for my lan and dozens of fav web sites etc. Ill have to set one up again one of these days.

Chubbzie

join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
reply to koam
MBSA, Advanced Configuration Firewall, IPSec, EMET. Shutting down all unneeded services, ports, apps & modifying particular registry keys.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to koam
said by koam:

I use 4 packages for Win 7 security.

Avast! Antivirus runs at all times.

I use the following updated packages, every couple of weeks to do a Full scan & clean:

Scan with Avast! (full or boot time)
SuperAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes AntiMalware
CCleaner

I also use Windows Disk Cleanup.
Free version of each.

I don't encounter many problems. Most frequent finds are Ad Tracking Cookies and the occasional PUP to remove.

Is that a pretty thorough regimen?

(without going to the full obsessive mode).

That looks good to me. I run MSSE or Avast or both and I use DeepFreeze so every time I reboot any nasties that might have gotten through are discarded and the system is back to the state it was at the last time I committed changes.

'Blob
--
Don't try to follow me, I have a cab waiting. EEEEEEEEradicator!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to koam
1: MSE (Microsoft security essentials) for anti-virus.

2: Normal login is as a limited user. I do login as Adminstrator when doing administration tasks. Mostly, that is doing the monthly updates.

3: Firefox with "noscript" and "flashblock" for browsing.

This works pretty well. But it is fair to admit that I spend far more time running linux than running Windows.
--
AT&T Uverse; 2Wire 3800-HGV router; openSuSE 13.1; KDE 4.11.5; firefox 29.0.1

Velnias

join:2004-07-06

1 recommendation

That's unfair - default Linux distributions are boring security wise - no super tweaks, no best of year security application.
If one likes - its possible to make own security application ( whatever purposes ) or tweak internals of operating system.

But yea - me too install Linux and enjoy the life instead to tracking security disasters. Security as hobby mostly.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to koam
EMET, Spywareblaster, Hostfile, PaleMoon with noscript and adblock, flashblock and ghostery, NIS, CCleaner.

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
Barberton, OH
reply to Velnias
Yeh you just need to track down dependencies to get well most any thing to run. Don't bother saying it has gotten better etc because i have heard that every time i have decided to try linux again. And i am no computer noob. I work on comps and electronics in general for a living and have for 20 years. To many linux distros to many variants in each of them make it impossible to have a program work off the shelf for all of them. So you get security by obscurity big deal.

And i seem to recall reading about a security flaw that went un-patched for what was it 5 years that just got fixed in the last couple weeks?That is the perfect example of security by obscurity. The only reason systems were not compromised all over the place was because no hacker or script kiddy cared there's no profit for them to target linux. There is also the fact very few companies make software for linux so programs like 3d max just do not exist or have counterparts on linux. Games also many/most big games no linux version as linux does not have the market share to make it attractive to them. Add to that that for them to write a linux version they would have to do so for literally 100s of distros and variants. Or write guids on how to track down the dependencies and re write some of the files for the game. With windows to get secure takes 5 minutes a day and 2 to 3 programs that if you pick wisely wont use much of any thing in resources. With it you get access to millions of programs of all types you can imagine.

Velnias

join:2004-07-06
Usability of popular Linux distributions quite long is not worse than Windows ( especially 8).

Please lets stay on topic.

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
Barberton, OH
Um you brought up linux on a topic about windows 7 security routine.

As for the rest like i said linux and usability is a non starter it is not user friendly and to get every thing running takes allot of time more than most people want to spend. I do mess with linux now and then when i have time to burn. But for day to day use it wil always be windows. If / when i have a extra system ill set up a linux box for web email maybe a personal dns server even irc. Some things just work on linux and do so with out hassel. I can set up a properly set up ircd or dns server in about 20 minutes on pretty near any linux distro. Doing the same on windows is a few hours each and a few more hours to get set up so they are stable and can be ran with out baby sitting. But for most all else windows all the way.

To secure any version of windows takes a couple hours max. And let it scan at night or day depending on your sleeping habits when you work etc.

Then there's the fact that with out security flaws we would not have one of the funnest sites on the net to hang out on

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to koam
Something of this design:

Router
Limited user
File sharing - off
Remote Desktop - off
UAC - on
DEP - on
Numerous services set to disabled

All software updated, including:
MBAM
A/V sometimes
CCleaner
Spyware Blaster and or hosts files.
Waterfox / Firefox; no-script, adblock plus, ghostery
FileAlyzer
Firewall sometimes, and wishing some of those older 3rd party walls were still running for present Windows installs.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

psloss
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Lebanon, KS
reply to koam
Nothing specific to a Windows 7 PC.

dnssrvnewbie

@69.120.15.x
reply to novaflare
novaflare,

can you provide a little more info on this topic. I tried all the hosts file stuff like hostman etc and didn't like it as it kept wanting to update all the time. Even messed with my windows 7 pro lan and wan connections a few times. At the moment I just use the dnsmasq/no-dns rebind stuff in my asus rt-ac66u router with my dns using google dns servers. My ISPs servers like to do redirects to a walled garden page for misstyped urls and non-existen domains. I'd love to run my own internal dns server. However, I won't run bind or anything else that requires rocket science training and lots of processor/memory resources. Can you give some recommendations of software or links. Thanks alot.

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
Barberton, OH
hmm i was going to recommend powerdns but they no longer have windows versions.

hmm hard to find them now they use to be every where. Found one but being on source forge the instructions might be lack luster.

i wouldnt bother with the dhcp portion just the dns server

»sourceforge.net/projects/dhcp-dns-server/

And you can simply google for instrutions on how to change your windows settings for dns

As this one supports ad blocking wild cards etc you can point mistyped urls to any html file on your comp by using full path. Me personally id just redirect to google.com for foul ups in urls.

Are some crazy cool things you can do with a personal dns server to things like simplifing urls such as dslreports.com you could just use dsl.z or any thing you want literally. you can have for example 1.1 take you to google.com or to this post etc. If i recal you could even have just 1 do the same.

defcon_1

join:2013-10-19
Use Local Security GPOs to lock down IE and Win7
Use AV with Win7 FW
A router
Running as Admin.Yes. That's correct. And never had issues.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to psloss
said by psloss:

Nothing specific to a Windows 7 PC.

Looking at my list, other than UAC, there is nothing either new that wasn't set for XP in the same way.
It would be interesting to learn if there was some specific settings for Win 7 that were not for XP.

I can hear dave's thoughts "basically still the same underlying NT system".
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to dnssrvnewbie
said by dnssrvnewbie :

I tried all the hosts file stuff like hostman etc and didn't like it as it kept wanting to update all the time.

Then just don't set it to update automatically!

[Edit] ---> [Preferences] ---> [Updater]

And I don't see how it would have messed with your LAN etc....

Been using it for years on both XP and Win7 never had an issue.