uniqs
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Port number from Verizon to Charter?

I'm considering adding phone service to my account. We currently have a Verizon home phone that we would be replacing it with. I've never ported a number before so I don't know much about it or what kind of hoops I would need to jump through. Can I port a number from Verizon to Charter? Will it matter that the Verizon account is in a different name than the Charter account? Thanks!

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

Don't know if the different name will give you any problems, but it shouldn't. I transferred my old AT&T number easily, and didn't know anything about porting numbers either. Good luck!

Forgot to say, Charter did all the work.

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL

neofate to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
Yes.. you can port from Verizon..

Though be careful. Definitely call Verizon first about it. If not, they often try to hit you with fee's.. be it an early termination, or some other bogus fee. If you talk to someone who says it won't be an issue.. It's on record. If a rep later on gives you an issue.. You can refer back to the phone call and they must honor what was told to you by their representative. At any rate.. porting numbers is handled universally.. be it ATT, Charter, Verizon, or any phone operator/carrier.

It definitely can and will be done.. just make the calls necessary to both companies to ensure everything goes smoothly. Be careful about cancelling any service with the current phone provider until the phone port successfully goes through or you can lose service during that period. Unless, of course, a few days of no service is no big deal to you on this line.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

On this line, it's not a big deal really if we are without it for a little bit. We got the home phone because at the time we were calling a lot of non-verizon numbers and it was a cheap way to handle it instead of bumping up the plan with more minutes. Now it's mainly used for occasional calls and we aren't calling all those non-verizon numbers. To be honest we could probably do without this phone now in general as we all have cell phones we use primarily but it's one option I'm considering as I'm coming up on my 1 year mark with Charter's promo rates.

I honestly haven't looked to see if this "line" is off contract yet or if it even has a contract (I assume it does). If it does/did, it's been over a year, probably close to two years so it won't take long for it to disappear. An ETF I could understand if it's still under contract but I didn't think about other bogus fees.