GuruGuy

GuruGuy

Premium Member

And here:

»java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
GuruGuy

GuruGuy

Premium Member

I'm confused with this version number. Getting late and my eyes are tired.

Java 8 was released in March. Now we are back to version 7 at the end of May?
wolfy339
join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

1 recommendation

wolfy339

I think JRE 8 and JRE 7 are parallel development lines for now. Eventually Oracle will kill off updates for JRE 7, leaving only JRE 8, much the way they have done with JRE 5 and JRE 6
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Which one should be used, then?

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

Guess I'll stick with the higher version number. I have version 8 update 5 from March.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
When Oracle came out with Java 8, I was quick to update to it. I couldn't do a single Java speed test (including dslr's) or use Java 8 for anything I use Java for. I went back to Java 7. I will not upgrade again until all the Java programs are updated for Java 8.
Mele20

Mele20 to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
I installed it just now and tested on both Fx and IE 10 on Windows 8. IE gave me a popup saying the new version wanted to activate.

But the speed test I did on both Fx and IE reports the earlier version of Java was used. UGH. Java panel says the latest version is installed. I shut the browsers down and restarted them before testing. So, I don't know what is wrong but I have a horrible time every time I need to update Java.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I installed it just now and tested on both Fx and IE 10 on Windows 8. IE gave me a popup saying the new version wanted to activate.

But the speed test I did on both Fx and IE reports the earlier version of Java was used. UGH. Java panel says the latest version is installed. I shut the browsers down and restarted them before testing. So, I don't know what is wrong but I have a horrible time every time I need to update Java.

Maybe the site is just misreporting the version? Have you tried going to »java.com/en/download/ins ··· lled.jsp and see what is reported.
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

Fickey

I guess there's no critical security patches in this release?
»www.oracle.com/technetwo ··· 106.html

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

angussf

Premium Member

said by Fickey:

I guess there's no critical security patches in this release?
»www.oracle.com/technetwo ··· 106.html

That's what I read, that it's still on the 7u55 level for security

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to PX Eliezer1

MVM

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Whichever one works?

Speed test fail.

Can't seem to override the block.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by PX Eliezer1:

Whichever one works?

Can't seem to override the block.

What do you see when you click the details button

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by GuruGuy:

Java Plug-in 11.5.2.13
Using JRE version 1.8.0_05-b13 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Users\Norman
----------------------------------------------------
c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
l:   dump classloader list
m:   print memory usage
o:   trigger logging
q:   hide console
r:   reload policy configuration
s:   dump system and deployment properties
t:   dump thread list
v:   dump thread stack
x:   clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

Mele has stated that she could not get the DSLreports speedtest to run properly using Java 8 and had to revert to version 7 to get the speedtest to work.

7 posts down from the top of this thread:
"When Oracle came out with Java 8, I was quick to update to it. I couldn't do a single Java speed test (including dslr's) or use Java 8 for anything I use Java for. I went back to Java 7. I will not upgrade again until all the Java programs are updated for Java 8."

I'm sure she'll see this and chime in.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
Click for full size
I can get the nac.net test to run but good lord! Something is REALLY WRONG with that test and it is not due to the new Java version as I just ran the test on my XP computer where I have not installed this new Java version and I got the same extremely off results. So, what Java test here are you trying to do?

nac.net had been giving me excellent results showing my full speed but now the download test takes forever and gives ridiculous results. Upload test is correct.

I'm using Java 7 latest version on Windows 8 and on XP 7x55 version as I have not yet updated on that computer. It was not just the Java speed tests here that I could not do when I upgraded to Java 8 but also Visualware's MySpeed and the Web 100 NDT tests.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by GuruGuy:

Java Plug-in 11.5.2.13
Using JRE version 1.8.0_05-b13 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Users\Norman
c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
l:   dump classloader list
m:   print memory usage
o:   trigger logging
q:   hide console
r:   reload policy configuration
s:   dump system and deployment properties
t:   dump thread list
v:   dump thread stack
x:   clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>

I just tried the same test and got the same result. Using java 8 update 5.
GuruGuy

GuruGuy to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

So, what Java test here are you trying to do?

I believe it's this one which is also the one I just attempted.
Test speed to Parsippany, NJ, USA
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
Where's your Java slider at? It needs to be all the way at the bottom (you can always slide it up higher once you finish with the tests here). The java tests here and the old Web100 NDT tests are NOT signed so you will get that error even on Java 7 unless you put the slider all the way to the bottom and/or add the tests to the exceptions list in Java panel. You would not need, any longer, to add Visualware's tests to the exceptions list as Visualware has finished signing all their test stations across the nation. You'll get a popup about allowing the test and then a second popup to allow so actually putting the slider to the bottom is not that dangerous and I have left it there.

I don't think signed or unsigned that speed tests are going to work with Java 8.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I don't think signed or unsigned that speed tests are going to work with Java 8.

Speedtest.net worked fine for me with that new Java 8 (the only version present on my Windows7 computer because I removed the older one).

And my slider is all the way up!

So....?!

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Mele20:

Speedtest.net worked fine for me with that new Java 8 (the only version present on my Windows7 computer because I removed the older one).

And my slider is all the way up!

So....?!

I'm using Java 8 update 5 and speedtest.net works fine for me. Also went to the nac.net site Mele mentioned and it works fine too.

The DSLreports speedtest will not work though and I get the same result that NormanS gets.

And my slider is all the way up too.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Err...speedtest.net is a FLASH test. We are talking about JAVA tests.
Mele20

1 edit

Mele20 to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

I'm using Java 8 update 5 and speedtest.net works fine for me. Also went to the nac.net site Mele mentioned and it works fine too.

The DSLreports speedtest will not work though and I get the same result that NormanS gets.

Speedtest.net is a FLASH TEST.

nac.net is the Parsippany test here at dslr. It works ok for you? I hadn't used it since end of March so it is possible that the routing has changed for me since then and is horribly conjested now but still....for it to show SUCH A POOR download speed makes me think there is some other problem with that test...back in March it showed close to my full download speed which is 34mbps.

There are THREE dslr Java speed tests. Palo Alto which is working correctly, Linkline which has given a "server busy" error for ages, and Parsippany where the download speed is really wacky low for me currently but that could be bad routing since I last did the test in end of March.

There is fourth dslr Java speed test in New York but it is clearly marked as currently offline. So, I am not clear....what one here is NOT working for you...Palo Alto or Parsippany?
Mele20

Mele20 to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
Click for full size
Click for full size
On Java 7x60 I get a popup here asking about whether I want to run a Java test and it asks if I want my response to be remembered or not. Then I next get the security popup from Oracle's Java itself.

The screenshots are for Linkline test as I had told Java to remember and allow the others here so there is no longer that first popup for them. But the second security popup which is from Oracle is there every time I want to do a speed test here and it appears even with the slider set as low as possible which I think makes it safe to leave the slider down low (since I don't blindly click on security popups but carefully read first).
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Err...speedtest.net is a FLASH test. We are talking about JAVA tests.

Right, sorry.

-----

Although while on that topic, any reason you have against speedtest.net?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Java tests are more accurate and some of them (Visualware's MySpeed and Web 100 NDT) give you a LOT of useful information that you don't get with Flash tests.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
"nac.net is the Parsippany test here at dslr. It works ok for you?" YES

"So, I am not clear....what one here is NOT working for you...Palo Alto or Parsippany?" Posted right above your question where you asked where the slider was set at......I believe it's this one which is also the one I just attempted.
Test speed to Parsippany, NJ, USA
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I'm sorry if I am being dense, and missing something, but it sounds to me like you are saying in one place that the nac.net (Parsippany) test works but in another place that it doesn't work. It appears contradictory.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

2 edits

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I'm sorry if I am being dense, and missing something, but it sounds to me like you are saying in one place that the nac.net (Parsippany) test works but in another place that it doesn't work. It appears contradictory.

»www.nac.net/speedtest/ This Java test DOES work for me. When I test with it, the server I connect to shows Cedar Knolls NJ.

»/speedtest The java test does NOT work for me. It is the same one that NormanS tried and posted a screen shot. It is Parsippany, NJ, USA

It's interesting that both are nac.net and one works and the other doesn't. If you try from dslreports it doesn't work. If you go directly to nac.net it does work.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
I just saw your edit.

Am I the only dslr member these days who knows the DIFFERENCES between Flash speed tests and Java speed tests? Jeez.

You are the SECOND person in this thread to confuse the two! They are VERY DIFFERENT with Java tests being much more accurate. The nac.net speed test that works for you with Java 8 is BECAUSE THAT IS A FLASH SPEED TEST. It is NOT a Java test.