Search similar:

uniqs

R32Raines
Premium Member
join:2003-03-01
La Vergne, TN

R32Raines

Premium Member

Some details about TDS' 1gig fiber service...

Since the 1gig fiber service is available in Hollis, NH now.. I got some info about it from their website.

- Cost is $109.95/mo. plus a $10 bundle discount with TDS IPTV, essentially making it $99.95/mo.
- Speeds are NOT symmetrical: 1 gig down / 400megs up.
- Service uses an Actiontec T2200H router, which supports wireless dual band N and AC standards, has a dual core 1ghz ARM Cortex A9 cpu, 256mb ram, 256mb rom, and obviously all gigabit on its ports.
- Includes free remote support
- Appears to REQUIRE a tv bundle.

Not quite as good as Google fiber, but its getting close.
Note also that the 300meg package has dropped to $85/mo. with the 1gig release, but still uses the Actiontec V1000H. All other speeds are staying the same price; 100 meg @$45, 50 meg @$35.

Im excited!

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

2 edits

davidc502

Great information! Thanks for researching.

Question: Do they still have the threshold on download/upload data like the 250GB advertised limit?

With 1Gbps service, one could go over the "cap" of 250GB of data in 33.3 minutes (if my calculations are right).

David

R32Raines
Premium Member
La Vergne, TN

R32Raines

Premium Member

Other than the DSL TOS, I've never seen hard documentation about a data cap. I've always been told by their reps that there's not one with fiber. It seems their reps actually know what they're talking about too... so I don't think there really is a cap... or "threshold" as comcast wants to call it lol.

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

1 edit

davidc502

said by R32Raines:

Other than the DSL TOS, I've never seen hard documentation about a data cap. I've always been told by their reps that there's not one with fiber. It seems their reps actually know what they're talking about too... so I don't think there really is a cap... or "threshold" as comcast wants to call it lol.

After all of the SuperHD Netflix watching my family and I have done this month, not to mention the downloading, I know I easily went over 250GB.

It's nice to know I don't have to sweat it anymore!

R32Raines
Premium Member
La Vergne, TN

R32Raines

Premium Member

Seriously! Back in february, I used about 1TB...not a peep from tds about it... no extra charges either.

BernieV
@96.61.84.x

BernieV

Anon

I live in Hollis NH and had TDS's new gigabit service installed yesterday. The installer was professional and accommodating. I have 3 TVs and one office were the router was placed to service a pair of computers that do not have wireless. The installer proposed that he run a CAT5 wire from the ONT to the Actiontec T2200H modem/router in the office and then drive all 3 TVs wirelessly from there via a dedicated Cisco WAP. I preferred to keep 2 of the set top boxes wired and he obliged. The wiring was a little messy. 1 cat5 from ONT to router in the office on the 2nd floor and then then wires from the router to the 2 TVs both located on the first floor.

As far as I can tell, EVERYTHING needs to be behind the modem. I tried putting a switch in front of the router and wiring the set top boxes directly to the ONT, but that did not work. I've read before (perhaps in dslreports) that you HAD to wire the set top boxes directly to the ONT. That does not appear to be correct, at least not here in Hollis.

The modem router is 802.11 a/b/g/n capable, but NOT ac. Stupid for a gigabit network because I can't get much more then a 150 Mb/s (up & down) using wireless at the moment (over dual band N). I am sure part of that is me being on a learning curve with wireless N mode and perhaps router setup will improve it. When connecting the laptop visa USB 3.0 + gigabit Ethernet adapter, I consistently see 770 Mb/s down and 388 Mb/s up when testing against speedtest.net in Springfield Vt. Ha! Imagine that.. having to live with ONLY 150Mb/s wirelesslly. Still, it bugs my inner systems engineer that I can't get close to what I should be able to. Well.. off to learn more about wireless N mode and/or shop for a cheap wireless AC WAP.

I've only played with IPTV for a day, but so far its been rock solid. The only bug I've found is that movie thumbnail images don't consistently display in the VOD menu. Its supposed to look like the Netflix interface, but you see blank boxes where you should see pics making it almost unusable.

Overall video quality is excellent and the single shared DVR seems to work fine. The user interface is, well, different that what I've used in the past (charter) and feels a little clunky... but as I play with it more i'm finding more efficient ways to browse and am becoming a little more familiar with the channel lineup.

Overall, I am pleased the price and performance of the new setup and would recommend it. If you are primarily a wireless user, I think the 300 Mb service would offer almost indistinguishable service at a few bucks per month less unless you are fond of running network speed tests

I'll try to follow up after a few weeks of using it.

-Bernie Velivis
Hollis NH
BernieV

BernieV

Anon

Oh, forgot to mention... I got verification by email that there are no data caps on the gigabit service plan in Hollis NH from TDS.

-Bernie Velivis
Performax Inc

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

This is awesome!

Would you be able to share the email about the data-caps? Minus personal information?

David

R32Raines
Premium Member
La Vergne, TN

1 edit

R32Raines to BernieV

Premium Member

to BernieV
said by BernieV :

The modem router is 802.11 a/b/g/n capable, but NOT ac.

Interesting that you point this out. Actiontec has removed the AC feature from its specs list on their website. Maybe it was having some issues, and removed the capability.

Or perhaps I'm the dummy and misread that AC was on it when I originally posted about it, because now I can't find anything anywhere about it being AC.

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to R32Raines

to R32Raines

Response from BernieV

Bernie responded via email.... I was concerned that 1gig service had a data cap, and that one could over-run that cap in hours. Good news -- No data caps.

Thank you Bernie!

David,

You asked if i could provide more information about "no data caps" for TDS gigabit service in Hollis NH. I posted as a guest, and just saw your question... apparently I can't reply to post more than 14 days old. Hopefully this info is still helpful to you... The person at TDS I spoke with was John Cowan.

Cheers,
-Bernie

Jun 8

to John
John,

I do have one follow up question. Hopefully you can answer this prior to my install on Tuesday. With the 1 Gb service in Hollis, are there any monthly data caps? I don't do any file sharing or participate in torrents, but I do work out of my home and manage 10s of servers at Amazon and occasionally have to do large file transfers.
Cowan, John
Jun 9

to Bernie

Mr. Velvis,

There are no data usage caps

John