Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

2 edits

antdude

Premium Member

Edward Snowden by NBC Brian Williams' interview

»www.nbcnews.com/feature/ ··· -n117101 (multiple parts)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· xzOwr7I4

vimeo.com/96870373

and many others.

What did you guys think of it? I wanted to see more of it! :/
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

2 recommendations

Mele20

Premium Member

I saw it last night and thought it was dynamite. I tried to watch the NBC aftermath on NBC.com where you could participate in real time. Sigh. NBC said the live discussion had been over for 5 hours. Well, gee, then NBC should not have told folks in Hawaii that they could participate.

Snowden's comments on burner phones being owned the INSTANT you first turn it on made me even more determined to never get any kind of cell phone.

I agree with Snowden and feel even more strongly, after seeing the interview, that he is a HERO and that this nation needs a LOT MORE Snowdens.

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

1 recommendation

Trihexagonal5

said by Mele20:

Snowden's comments on burner phones being owned the INSTANT you first turn it on made me even more determined to never get any kind of cell phone.

I've never had a cellphone/smartphone either.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to antdude

to antdude
Bright guy, well spoken. Young.

"That includes NBS News ... which has a reporting relationship with Glenn Greenwald."

What did they call that, a reporting relationship?
I think they meant to say a monetary relationship .

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

said by therube:

What did they call that, a reporting relationship?
I think they meant to say a monetary relationship .

Monetary? Greg is working with a variety of other journalists to parcel out bits and pieces of the findings (many to the Guardian, some to NBC News, some to the Wall Street Journal, etc.).

There's no money involved as far as I know.

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
I'm much older than Mr Snowden and at his age, I didn't see the world as clearly as he does. Whatever comes of all this, reform or not, he has given us the chance at making things better. True civil disobedience in the modern world.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Steve

MVM

to Steve
said by Steve:

Got some backup for that statement or is that just a personal belief? No doubt he has been able to monetize this event in a number of different forms including a book (he worked at the Guardian until Oct last year), so this hasn't exactly been purely altruistic work. When you look at Greg's past its clear to see he is a different kind of dude.

Blake

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

1 recommendation

Chubbzie to antdude

to antdude
Eds next interview: I'm running for office!

Seriously though, this interview does help sort out some of the misinformation, rumors, and speculation about Mr. Snowden and the info he has provided.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Snowden's comments on burner phones being owned the INSTANT you first turn it on...

I'm sure that's true. However IMO it misses the point. If you buy a pre-paid "burner phone" anonymously, with cash, at a large big box store and don't use it to call friends and family it would be very difficult for anyone to link it to the owner. The best they could do is use voice analysis which may or may not be definitive.

The whole point of "burner phones" is to use them for some short period of time. junk them, and buy another. Who cares if they're 0wned when used that way?

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to Steve

to Steve
quote:
Well I certainly would not know, but I'd think it to be naive to think otherwise.
And sure, I could be totally wrong.

Fixed .

Greg is [being paid by] a variety of other journalists[,] parcel[ing] out bits and pieces of the findings [to the highest bidders].

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Trihexagonal5

Premium Member

to Trihexagonal5
said by Trihexagonal5:

said by Mele20:

I've never had a cellphone/smartphone either.

I never and own one. I do borrow rarely. Haha.
antdude

antdude to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

said by Steve:

Got some backup for that statement or is that just a personal belief? No doubt he has been able to monetize this event in a number of different forms including a book (he worked at the Guardian until Oct last year), so this hasn't exactly been purely altruistic work. When you look at Greg's past its clear to see he is a different kind of dude.

Blake

IIRC, Brian Williams mentioned no money for this interview?

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Pretty sure the NSA (and others) can monitor landlines as well as cell/satellite phones. The location of landlines is known. Landline phones probably can't be hacked though.

I have a pre-paid dumb cell phone and it is my home phone. That is it sits in the same place (I don't carry it everywhere) plus I keep it in a glove that makes the camera useless. The sound picked up from the mike is probably so muffled as to be also useless.

The bottom line is that a cell phone, with appropriate precautions, is no less secure than a landline.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to Link Logger

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

I can't imagine NBC News paying for news.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Link Logger to antdude

MVM

to antdude
said by antdude:

IIRC, Brian Williams mentioned no money for this interview?

I believe Snowden wasn't paid for the interview, but Glenn Greenwald on the other hand is shoveling it in.

Blake
nony
Premium Member
join:2012-11-17
New York, NY

3 edits

nony to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Snowden Strikes Back -
»www.nbcnews.com/feature/ ··· -n118821

Daniel Ellsberg opines on Snowden -
»www.theguardian.com/comm ··· nage-act

-nony

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

2 recommendations

DownTheShore to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
I am still of two minds about Snowden's actions, but after watching the interview replayed last night on MSNBC, I can't say that I blame him for not coming back to the US to stand trial. In today's climate, and with the mockery the Patriot Act has made of our justice system, he would get a show trial and not actual justice.

I hope a lot of people watched that interview, whatever their position on the political spectrum is, because if they were unaware of the extent to which their lives are currently being watched and their privacy invaded, perhaps it will serve as a wake-up call.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
quote:
But truly to comprehend the growing reach of this formidable organization, it is necessary to recall once again how the computers that power the N.S.A. are also gradually changing lives of Americans - the way they bank, obtain benefits from the Government and communicate with family and friends. Every day, in almost every area of culture and commerce, systems and procedures are being adopted by private companies and organizations as well as by the nation's security leaders that make it easier for the N.S.A. to dominate American society should it ever decide such action is necessary.
»www.nytimes.com/1983/03/ ··· nsa.html

I couldn't help but recall that passage from a 1983 article about the NSA. I only read the article within the last year or so (actually, when it was posted here sometime last year ). It's a good read and I think it bears mentioning again.

Everything Snowden said about the capabilities of the NSA meshes with that article. Capabilities that were built on powers slowly granted--or just taken, without repercussions--over decades. If anyone wants to play the blame game for how the NSA abuses its power, they have to start a lot further back than the past few administrations.

Maybe someone showed the article to Snowden before he jumped ship.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

3 recommendations

jvmorris to DownTheShore

MVM

to DownTheShore
Anyone who simply thinks Snowden is a coward for not coming back and subjecting himself to a "fair and open" trial in the US would be well advised to have their eyes opened by Daniel Ellsberg. »www.theguardian.com/comm ··· nage-act

If anyone wants to maintain that Ellsberg is simply making this stuff up, it should be a fairly simple matter to rebut his claims, . . . but I rather doubt that anyone can be bothered (or able) to do that.

John Kerry's challenge to Snowden to return and face trial is either disingenuous or simply ignorant that current prosecutions under the Espionage Act allow no distinction whatever between a patriotic whistleblower and a spy. Either way, nothing excuses Kerry's slanderous and despicable characterizations of a young man who, in my opinion, has done more than anyone in or out of government in this century to demonstrate his patriotism, moral courage and loyalty to the oath of office the three of us swore: to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. loc cit

And please note that the oath in question is to the Constitution, not to whoever happens to be President or Commander-in-Chief at the moment.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by jvmorris:

Anyone who simply thinks Snowden is a coward for not coming back...

Many consider Snowden a traitor because he revealed information to the US's enemies as well as it citizens. That is a legitimate concern. However, IMO, it misses the point that when a government uses the same techniques to spy on citizens/friends and enemies alike there is no way to reveal that fact without the side effect of letting ones adversaries know as well. If the NSA was only spying on foes there'd be no such conflict of interest. Since they aren't there is.

So, IMO, damage has been done to US national security. However US citizens now know, for certain, that they're also targets. All in all it's quite a mess. That said Snowden didn't create that mess he merely brought it to public attention.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
I saw it and thought it interesting. But someone mentioned in the other thread [somewhere on this site] a couple of questions.
One was how many times did they rehears the Q&A, before it was taped.
What would the raw tape look like compared to the edited tape?

And just how truthful was Snowden being about not being able to get a fair and public trial.

Still I though it fairly interesting when he went over the burner phone. Question is how do I remove a battery from an Iphone without breaking it?
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

3 edits

nony to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
For those who are not deeply rooted in certain communities, you can view the frontline interviews to get a better perspective.
»www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/f ··· secrets/

You may also want to view this frontline follow-up -

How the NSA’s Secret Elite Hacking Unit Works
»www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/f ··· t-works/

-nony
nony

1 edit

nony to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
said by jvmorris:

And please note that the oath in question is to the Constitution, not to whoever happens to be President or Commander-in-Chief at the moment.

There is an order of precedence starting from the U.S. Constitution -

U.S. Constitution
Federal Statutes/Presidential Executive Orders (EO)
Department of Defense (DoD) and Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) Regulations
NSA/CSS Directives and Policies
USSIDs-
SID Management Directives and Policies
Office Policies
»cryptome.org/2014/05/nsa ··· wden.pdf

-nony
JarmoP
join:2013-10-11
Finland

2 recommendations

JarmoP to antdude

to antdude
I saw this video on your link when there was just you and Mele posting. I was wondering why not much more posts. Must have been the the time difference between us europeans and you fellows.

He is young, but mature in his words. And has payed a big dues for all. I respect him.
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

4 edits

nony

Premium Member

Consider, that if the tables were turned, he would have been given polonium.

Also consider that the US authorities have to bear down covertly/overtly to prevent/stop further national security leaks at all costs. That is the mind think. Did he consider that?

Perhaps he is precocious for his age, but his orchestration is subpar.

We will eventually balance things out, as we always do, but in the interim other folks/institutions may take a hit out of necessity- similar in many respects to military discipline -

When someone breaks the rules, the entire platoon or barracks is disciplined (punished).

Only, in this case, the platoon equates to our cherished institutions.
»www.theguardian.com/medi ··· rk-times
»www.washingtonpost.com/n ··· ts-next/

Related:

Criminal Prohibitions on the Publication of Classified Defense Information-

»www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/N ··· -084.pdf
"The publication of classified information related to National Security Agency (NSA) surveillance activity is the latest in a series of leaks to the press that has riveted Congress's attention. Press reports describing classified U.S. operations abroad have led to calls from Congress for an investigation into the source of the leaks, and Attorney General Holder appointed two special prosecutors to look into the matter."

"While prosecutions appear to be on the rise, leaks of classified information to the press have relatively infrequently been punished as crimes, and we are aware of no case in which a publisher of information obtained through unauthorized disclosure by a government employee has been prosecuted for publishing it."

-nony