uniqs

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Trimmer off switch

I've got a Troy Bilt gas trimmer that has a failed 'off' switch. It's a momentary-type switch where you push it to the 'off' position and it returns to 'on' on it's own. Looking at Parts Express' selection of rocker switches (»www.parts-express.com/ca ··· hes/1574), they don't seem to have a SPST momentary switch.

Can't I use a standard on/off instead, like this one ? »www.parts-express.com/sp ··· -060-670

I realize that if I leave it in the 'off' position without remembering, the trimmer won't start, of course !!

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

That will work fine.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 edit

Msradell to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
The one you specified will work fine but this one looks like it's exactly what you're looking for »www.parts-express.com/ca ··· rtalID=1 is also waterproof which could be nice.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

1 edit

Hall

MVM

Yeah, I saw that one. Did you notice the price ?

The existing switch is not waterproof plus I don't use the trimmer when it's raining or leave it outside...
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned) to Hall

to Hall
said by Msradell:

The one you specified will work fine but this one looks like it's exactly what you're looking for »www.parts-express.com/ca ··· rtalID=1 is also waterproof which could be nice.

Ouch $20 for a switch!

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium Member
join:2000-08-08
Alfred, ME

bewhole

Premium Member

Yes but if you buy 4 or more you can get it for $19.24 such a deal.
Op the one you linked to should be fine or you could probably use a toggle switch.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to Hall

to Hall
you could disconnect the switch and put the choke on full to stop the engine..

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by iknow_t:

you could disconnect the switch and put the choke on full to stop the engine..

It's been broken for well over a year. The Trimmer has a 1/2/3 switch for the choke (3 is "run") and turning it to the 1 position kills it (same thing you're suggesting).
Hall

Hall to bewhole

MVM

to bewhole
I love 10-minute fixes, especially when they work! I turned it off and had my son try it start it. I played along for a minute before I told him. When he shut it off, he treated it just like a momentary switch, wisely. He pushed it to the off position, engine killed, and then put it right back to on.

Unimportant
@68.71.44.x

Unimportant

Anon

Cool story, but is this what you're looking for?
»www.repairclinic.com/Par ··· /1840869

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Yeap, but $12 and receiving it 4-5 days vs $1.25 (grand total) and in my hand a few hours after I posted this thread - I'll live with a non-momentary version of the switch.

Unimportant
@69.131.78.x

Unimportant

Anon

Fair enough, but I'd get ticked off if I inadvertently left it "OFF" and spent the next 10 minutes yanking on the starter cord in vain.

Howabout $7 shipped?

»cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP ··· 49209718