Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

michieru

Premium Member

!

What "is" cord cutting?

Is it the process of switching from a cable package over to just VOD from provider x?

If a user was able to access a large library of content and pay for what they want to watch via a cable box provided via the Cable provider does this constitute cord cutting as well?

Is the definition of cord cutting just simply going with an alternative solution vs a cable plan?

It's a very vague definition and I think the real debate here is whether or not we want to pay via al la carte vs channels. I can pay for "just" national geographic.

Whether in the short and long term I save any money is all based on what I am subscribed to. If I want anything and everything available I would most likely end up paying more.

However I think we need to define correctly what cord cutting is.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

3 recommendations

TechyDad

Premium Member

Cord cutting is cancelling cable tv service and getting any video entertainment from OTA, Internet-based, or disc-based (DVD/Blu-Ray) sources. For example, I have Time Warner Cable. If I cancelled my TWC service and went with DirecTV, it wouldn't be cutting the cord. However, if I cancelled my TWC service and only used OTA, Netflix/Amazon, and my local library's DVD rentals, that would be cord cutting.

Cord nevers are people who never signed up for cable TV in the first place. I don't think this is a huge movement right now, but will only grow since the younger generation doesn't have the same view of video entertainment as the older generation did. Namely, that you watched shows on the days/times when the channel told you watch them and only on a television. Unless cable companies start innovating, they will lose the younger generation to other entertainment sources.
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to michieru

to michieru
A cord cutter is someone who does not subscribe to a traditional pay CATV package, and typically gets their TV needs met through an old school over-the-air antenna, and/or an internet subscription providing access to IPTV or VOD programing.

Cord cutting is the action of canceling one's pay CATV subscription.

Kuro
@75.151.50.x

Kuro to TechyDad

Anon

to TechyDad
If anything I think Nevers are a shrinking breed because Comcast and the like advertise packages that have basic cable and internet at a lower price, for the first year or so, than just a plain internet. I know I am in this category even though the cable box is in a box in a closet unused.

TechyDad
Premium Member
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

Good point. People like you might be classified as "invisible cable nevers" because you pay for TV service only because it is more expensive not to and because it would be impossible to count how numerous you are.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

I'm in the "cord-maybe" column where my Fios package is $10 more for 150 channels than simply internet. Outside of broadcast, no more than 5% of family viewing happens on pay tv--the rest the dearth of on demand streaming options..

So for $10 I get 150+ channels and I think that is a good deal. However I'm not so sure that the base price of just internet is fine. So I pay $79 for 2-play inc my cablecard. THATS IT.

The big distinction is that I don't get soaked w/ operator DVR/STB fees which when you read these forums most people say they are paying x amount but guess what if I payed the Verizon bounty for my 6 TVs that would be over $60 a month more taking my cost from $80 to $140... Not insignificant.

Now could Verizon have an app and eliminate STB/DVR today by using a Roku or Chromecast. Absolutely. And they don't because they make obscene margin on equipment and try to lock you in to their proprietary platforms. This new VMS stuff costs them even less than the last generation equipment, and guess what Verizon is charging $20 more to enter the game.

Nobody ever talks about the "actual" price which is what you pay every month, not the package price.

Why is he saying this...Well valuation. They don't want to say to Comcast you are buying a turd. It's all sunshine and roses. TWC trucks are like model T's in my area. I don't think I've seen a truck around in quite some time. We still have 2002 speeds here. Verizon has lapped them, so maybe they just go for the suckers.

TechyDad
Premium Member
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

said by elefante72:

I'm in the "cord-maybe" column where my Fios package is $10 more for 150 channels than simply internet. Outside of broadcast, no more than 5% of family viewing happens on pay tv--the rest the dearth of on demand streaming options..

I'm in a similar boat. Time Warner Cable gave us a good deal last time. We're essentially paying $50 a month for cable TV. Most of our watching is Netflix/Amazon Prime/Roku, but there are enough cable TV shows that we'd still want to watch if we cut the cord. Paying for them would eat into the $50 a month savings until cord cutting wasn't worthwhile. Once that deal expires, though, cord cutting might be completely viable. Especially given that we're getting more and more used to watching TV without relying on cable TV as our source.
said by elefante72:

Now could Verizon have an app and eliminate STB/DVR today by using a Roku or Chromecast. Absolutely. And they don't because they make obscene margin on equipment and try to lock you in to their proprietary platforms.

That's one good thing about Time Warner Cable. They have a nice app that lets you view channels - even some on demand channels - via your Roku box. So you could use your Roku as your cable box and avoid any set top box fees.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to elefante72

to elefante72
said by elefante72:This new VMS stuff costs them even less than the last generation equipment,[/quote :
What?!?!?!?!??? They are going to VMS! ! Does HP know???? I would hope it costs less since its been around for 36 years! !! . . Nahhhh not with HP...

(Yes, I know your not refering what I am refering to, but when I read it and it said they were going to VMS... the brain only engages that one way. I am still all for it! )
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Ha. I started on a VT100 terminal programming on an 8650... I know of what you speak my friend... My big update was my own VaxStation.

michieru
Premium Member
Denver, CO

michieru to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
Would it still be considered cord cutting if you are simply changing the transport method to view your content via IP rather than a traditional cable box yet are still using the same provider as your transport medium?

This is part of what I mean by the definition being vague. The other is the following.

If provider X(Comcast) has a internet based streaming service. I have provider Y(TimeWarner)[Internet only]. By me subscribing to provider X I am still obtaining an "internet-based" service even though on this internet based service I am still paying a traditional cable provider.

So....Is the only reason I qualify as a cord cutter is because I am using IP? Or is the real argument al la carte versus channels?

If it's al la carte versus channels then doesn't this solution exist such as VOD?

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

at this point there is not a viable full featured ip only video solution like your how cable tv solution. Once that happens (yes small startups nothing mainstream yet) then it will blur. Right now if you dont get traditional channels as a bundle on a schedule everyone has to watch at the same time then you are a cord cutter.

TechyDad
Premium Member
USA

TechyDad to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
If you are paying a cable company for that streaming package but not using their set top boxes (e.g. using a Roku) then you're not a cord cutter.

michieru
Premium Member
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

A cord cutter is simply one who does not pay for TV services provided via a cable company then by any transport medium. However if Target tomorrow started offering streaming services for their box store collection I am still classified as a cord cutter just because it's not the cable company.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to TechyDad

to TechyDad
See above- cord cutting can't be alive as much as bloggers like to push. DirecTV and others are seeing customers added every quarter. If it was truly happening nobody would be adding customers like they are.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to michieru

to michieru
Yes because youre not using regular cable you would be a cord cutter. Look at DirecTV's numbers and others adding customers over cable. Those customers transferring companies for deals are NOT true cord cutters. they're just playing the promo game.

OhReally
@24.192.115.x

OhReally to TechyDad

Anon

to TechyDad
No. Your wrong. Cord cutting is getting rid of TV and Internet. All those who say they are cord cutters but keep forking it over for internet are only living a pipe dream. The ONLY cord cutting is OTA. Period. Get it right.

TechyDad
Premium Member
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

There are plenty of cord cutters who continue to use Internet and get some video entertainment from Netflix, Amazon, etc. OTA is part of the cord cutting formula, but not the entire thing. (Of course, if a cord cutter is satisfied with OTA, that's perfectly fine as well.) I don't think you'll find any cord cutters on BBR who have ditched their Internet connection as well.