SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

2 recommendations

SimbaSeven

Building my board..

Yep, I'm working on rebuilding my old BBS. I have a stack of USRobotics Courier 56k modems, an 8 port serial card, and an OptiPlex 360 w/4GB of RAM and several TBs of disk space.

Now, I just need to find out how much 8 phones lines (incoming only) will cost. Yes, I will be allowing Telnet and SSH access as well.

I will be using Synchronet on a Gentoo box since I can't use my WC! disks (too old).

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by SimbaSeven:

Now, I just need to find out how much 8 phones lines (incoming only) will cost.

Can you successfully relay through VoIP lines, or do you need real copper? could give you a wider client base and save a few $$$ too.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven
Good luck with that, (not sarcastic). I ran multi line BBS's on my Commie 64 then 128. Think it was 3 or 4 lines in..... hard to remember it was 2 lifetimes ago. I did run one on a pc for a bit, was either wildcat, or what was the other one, pcbbs or something like that??

But then the damn internet came along and it went the way of the dinosaurs....

Ah the good old days of Trade Wars.......
JPP
Extremist should be shot
Premium Member
join:2007-05-04
Falls Church, VA

JPP

Premium Member

I did too, RBBS and then PCBoard. Frontdoor for mail tossing. That was high tech back then.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
Is this '80s or '90s tech. I remember when you actually had a choice in internet and I had WebTV.

I just wish we could bring back the '90s, those were happier days for me.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

I had a copy of RoboBOARD/FX, but the disks got damaged while I was enlisted. I plan on being compatible with every system out there, including my old Atari 800XL, Commodore 64, and Apple IIgs.

The system will have enough disk space to handle disk images if anyone wants to upload them. I'll be supporting down to 300 baud, which is the minimum the Courier can handle.

I have ~13 Couriers, so I can support more lines if needed. I also have a few modified BasicTalk ATA's so I can test the VoIP theory.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I remember when you actually had a choice in internet and I had WebTV.

before web TV, in fact before web. Early internet, and before was a very different place then you now see.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to CosmicDebri

Premium Member

to CosmicDebri
I ran a board off of RemoteAccess, I think it was called.
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs to CosmicDebri

to CosmicDebri
Back in "The Old Days" I ran a BBS on a DEC Rainbow with a 5 MB hard drive and another on an Osborne 1 with 2 90 KB floppies using Bell 212 1200 bps modems.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven
wrong thread, delete.
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven
25 or so per line including taxes so you are looking at 200+ for your monthly phone charges for that bbs system.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
said by SimbaSeven:

Yep, I'm working on rebuilding my old BBS. I have a stack of USRobotics Courier 56k modems, an 8 port serial card, and an OptiPlex 360 w/4GB of RAM and several TBs of disk space.

Now, I just need to find out how much 8 phones lines (incoming only) will cost. Yes, I will be allowing Telnet and SSH access as well.

I will be using Synchronet on a Gentoo box since I can't use my WC! disks (too old).

People still use modems?
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved

I was using 56k dialup until about 4 years ago. Now everything is switched over to fiber and I have 30 mbit internet and IPTV.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

People still use modems?

Some people still do. With some systems, it's the only way to connect to the outside world.