spc
Search similar:

uniqs
thunder15
join:2008-01-18
Chicago, IL

thunder15 to stinger6

to stinger6

Re: Neighbor uses 3 AP's and 1-7-11 channel range.

I might miss the reason for this, and maybe someone can shine a light on this for me:
Why would you set your wireless routers/AP to different channels vs keeping them on the same channel?
What's the advantage of choosing one over the other?

I assume your neighbor wanted to use several devices to cover the entire house with good wifi signal.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

said by sonarman: :

With some routers, you can go to 200mw-400mw.

Just for my own edification... which EXACT ASUS model do you know you can crank to that kind of power with DDWRT, sonarman See Profile ?

I do think that there is often confusion between software display and actual power measurement. As you probably know, measuring power radiation isn't that easy and it is unlikely that anybody here has such expensive equipment unless they're a transmitter tech. Also, even measuring the power dissipation of the output stage does not indicate radiation from the antenna. That's a perennial issue for radio transmitters.

My Shibby install indicates a range of 0 to 400mW, but Shibby says that those numbers don't indicate actual output and that after somewhere under 100 the transmitter will not put out more power. No doubt, like me, your were looking at that 400mW number with a gasp. They're just numbers on a screen and don't actually indicate power.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to thunder15

MVM

to thunder15
said by thunder15:

I might miss the reason for this, and maybe someone can shine a light on this for me:
Why would you set your wireless routers/AP to different channels vs keeping them on the same channel?
What's the advantage of choosing one over the other?

Think of it as trying to carry on a conversation with one individual while on a conference call with others, versus talking over a private line. Radio spectrum is a limited resource, and doesn't work as well with multiple transmitters on the same channel. Using different channels allows multiple connections to be active and not interfere with each other.
thunder15
join:2008-01-18
Chicago, IL

thunder15

So, if I have 7 wireless switches/APs setup to cover a 3 story, 6 unit/section building, should I put it on channels 1, 6 and 11 with different SSID, or can I have them on the same SSID while having good performance and avoiding noisy "conversation"?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

If you want seamless roaming, which most do when covering a facility with multiple AP's, you would use the same SSID and security method on all units. If you want to restrict access, or control the number of connections to each AP, then you could use a different SSID on each one. Either way, use only channels 1, 6, and 11 on the devices. Try and arrange them in a staggered layout, with the devices using the same channel as far apart from each other as possible.
hrickpa
join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA

hrickpa to stinger6

to stinger6
I have a similar issue here my neighbors have a netgear 802.11n 300 and has it on ch 6 but some how using ch 1 - 11. causing issues with Wi-Fi, I did ask him about it and he did nothing about it. I did solve the problem by switching to 802.11A. I live in a 3 story rowe house i had to use 3 access points to cover the house. all are diffrent SSIDs and channels

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by hrickpa:

I have a similar issue here my neighbors have a netgear 802.11n 300 and has it on ch 6 but some how using ch 1 - 11. causing issues with Wi-Fi, I did ask him about it and he did nothing about it. I did solve the problem by switching to 802.11A. I live in a 3 story rowe house i had to use 3 access points to cover the house. all are diffrent SSIDs and channels

802.11n can use 40mhz mode i.e. 2 channels max, a single AP cant use 1 through 11, multiple AP's can though.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to hrickpa

MVM

to hrickpa
said by hrickpa:

use 3 access points to cover the house. all are diffrent SSIDs and channels

If you use the same SSID on the access points, you can do seamless roaming across the house.