how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

projectd

join:2014-05-29
New Orleans, LA

[LA] recommended router for wired ultimate service

I just got the ultimate installed in my house not even a week ago and after lots of headaches I found that I needed to replace my router to get the speed I should. Tech recommended I got one of these Wi-Fi modems from their retail store so I headed to the one off airline and got this Netgear Wi-Fi modem. Called in and was transferred to a t2 tech who suggested I ditch this router modem combo cause they can't handle the constant speed of the ultimate package and I'll constantly see drops in speed. He said since I have a sb6180 which is a nice modem and I can achieve 170+ from directly from it that I get a new router since my n600 Netgear keeps bottle necking me when I connect up to it only letting me get 100Mbs. I'm noticing lots of ups and downs on this Netgear combo modem so I was curious what routers are you guys running on the ultimate service? I'm not really looking to spend $200+ for a router but the tech told me two nights ago that later this year Cox plans to increase ultimate speeds again to compete with Google fiber so I want a router that will be capable of whatever that speed may be.also I stay wired on all devices, my parents are the only ones that use Wi-Fi and they are happy with whatever speeds they get lol.

I've been eyeing the ASUS RT-AC66U and wondering if it's a good choice or what some of you guys are running on this 150Mbs service cause I'd love to see consistent 150-170+ speeds and not these huge peaks and valleys like I'm seeing now with drops down to 80 or even 10Mbs.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

2 recommendations

ASUS RT-AC66U is a real good choice, but keep in mind if you are trying to hit those speeds on wifi it can drastically fluctuate as with any wifi

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

i own this exact model router its by far the best router i have ever used wired or wireless ASUS RT-AC66U for the win!!!!

projectd

join:2014-05-29
New Orleans, LA
reply to projectd
bryant, any otb problems im gonna have to deal with once i get it? ordered it today 169 from newegg plus it comes with a free 1tb external drive which ill probably leave hooked up to it hehe

Azlen

join:2010-05-03
Peoria, AZ
Make sure you upgrade to the most recent firmware especially if you are going to attach a drive to it. ASUS had a nasty bug where people could access your attached drives and read them, delete them, add files to them etc.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
I seem to remember a issue with some clients having problems connecting with the 20/40 bandwidth on the 5Ghz band. Don't see it mentioned in any of the firmware release notes. One of the main reasons that kept me from upgrading RT-N66U to RT-AC66U. That and I don't have any AC clients. Anyone know if it was fixed?

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
I have no problems at all with it. I can connect to the 20/40 bands with no problems at all.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Cricket Broadband
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to projectd
Click for full size
Link speed on HTC one.
Here id the link speed on my HTC one.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Hard Harry
said by Hard Harry:

I seem to remember a issue with some clients having problems connecting with the 20/40 bandwidth on the 5Ghz band. Don't see it mentioned in any of the firmware release notes. One of the main reasons that kept me from upgrading RT-N66U to RT-AC66U. That and I don't have any AC clients. Anyone know if it was fixed?

From the FWIW department...

I had an issue connecting my iPad 4 to my RT-N66R (same router as the RT-N66U but from a different retail source) when the Channel Bandwidth was configured as 20/40. Once I changed it to 20 all was well. None of my other wireless clients ever had in issue.

Interestingly the issue persisted even with the newest firmware release (ie. the 3.0.0.4.374_5517 release) for the RT-N66R. Not a big deal as far as I was concerned though.