All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

TSI West: Anything (sCable & TDSL) coming down the pike Marc?

Curious if anything is coming down the pike for TSI West? I know people have been clamoring for 50Mb TDSL. sCable pricing and/or speeds going to change any time soon? Don't forget the camp on Vancouver Island (Victoria, Nanaimo, etc.) that are sCableless.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Even just tDSL 25/5... lol

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
join:2012-07-26
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
Would like to know if we have heard back from Telus if they are completing the DSM upgrades or not.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
It would definitely be nice to know if anything is coming down the pipe for sCable and tDSL. IMO, sCable is getting left behind in terms of upload speeds compared to tDSL (after the upgrade) and the rest of Canada.
bluenote73
join:2009-02-17
Canada

bluenote73

Uhm, scable is getting left behind? tDSL on teksavvy has been waiting for what, a year ? more? To get the upload upgrade that direct telus customers got from 25/2.5 to 25/5-7. And it doesn't seem like there's any urgency on teksavvy's part.
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by bluenote73:

Uhm, scable is getting left behind? tDSL on teksavvy has been waiting for what, a year ? more? To get the upload upgrade that direct telus customers got from 25/2.5 to 25/5-7. And it doesn't seem like there's any urgency on teksavvy's part.

You're problem is with Telus not TSI as it's Telus that determines when they turn on the upgrade no matter how much poking TSI does. And at least with tDSL there is an imminent upgrade, on the sCable side it's pretty much stagnant at the moment.
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73

You are delusional. There is no "imminent" upgrade. Teksavvy is showing no urgency on getting answers here either.

Saying things like "we will poke Telus" ... is stupid. It's three phone calls. One to your contact. One to who you are referred to if the first does not know. The third to your lawyer after you've informed Telus that they are not adhering to the speedmatching provisions from the CRTC.

It's a joke. I support Teksavvy in the sense of not being an incumbent, and I appreciate that Marc takes the time to post here. What I don't respect is the complete lack of urgency or hard answers.

I have zero confidence that Teksavvy has done everything possible on its end to find out whats going on. It's quite obvious in their attitude to the issue.
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

SIMMER DOWN. Trying to insult people who are trying give you info only shows your complete lack of understanding on the situation. If absolutely must have it now just switch to Telus. Even if you don't you still should switch since you lost confidence in TSI anyways.
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73

You weren't giving info. You were giving inaccurate information. There is no "imminent" upgrade.
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

Why bother posting and derailing this thread? It's more than apparent that the only answer you will accept is "there will be no Telus upgrade" anyways.

Oh btw, I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to my ignore list.
decx

decx to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
To everyone else, sorry about the derailment, but back on topic. I do hope that there is some sort of upload upgrade for sCable. 2.5Mb is a bit stingy nowadays, but given Shaw's own tiers I fear it might be a while off.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
join:2012-07-26
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

Yeah I would say all bets are off, even the 250 package seems to be on hold, I get the feeling we are just in for price hikes

EDIT: From Shaw and Telus anyways, never from Teksavvy
*Crossing fingers*

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to decx

Premium Member

to decx
said by decx:

I do hope that there is some sort of upload upgrade for sCable. 2.5Mb is a bit stingy nowadays

Yeah, they are exactly the same tiers that Shaw has... And Shaw really doesn't like to increase the upload speed... The 25/2.5 is Shaw's best plan for the download:upload ratio

bbbc
NorthAmerica

2 edits

bbbc

»youtu.be/NP0mQeLWCCo

Replace Bueller with Gaudrault

I also think sCable is screwed uploading-wise (faster) for the near future.

decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx to kevinds

Premium Member

to kevinds
Yep, Shaw's last update actually created tiers that are worse than the 25/2.5 tier both in terms of down/up ratio and price. Which is somewhat surprising given the relatively competitive market especially in Vancouver.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Latest move, dropping the upload on biz 50... But as long as TSI gets the same speeds, they aren't breaking any rules... So nothing to push for
atka
join:2011-11-11

atka to bbbc

to bbbc
I like what Teksavvy is doing and have been a xcustomer for years but the truth is they don't care about the west.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

For TDSL, we have requested a feature be enabled that will raise the upload speeds. I don't know when it will be live but this was done a couple weeks ago after looking into it. Soon the upload speeds should be getting matched with what is on the Telus website.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to atka

Mod

to atka
said by atka:

I like what Teksavvy is doing and have been a xcustomer for years but the truth is they don't care about the west.

You could say they don't care about parts of Ontario and the Atlantic too ... but the reality is that Eastlink don't give a flying fig about providing TPIA service and seem to be ignoring requests to offer it. I suspect Shaw and Telus are playing similar games ... if we ignore the CRTC and the TPIAs long enough, they'll go away.
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
So all the "looking in" for the past 6 months did not uncover the fact that you just had to make a request? I'm happy to hear why this is the incumbents fault, but right now it sounds like this was seriously mishandled on Teksavvy's end.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

it wasn't possible to make the request until recently from everything I was able to gather. they roll things out and it takes a while to make its way to wholesale...
20424689 (banned)
join:2014-04-08

20424689 (banned)

howabout the sCable pricing ? i'd love TSI cable 100
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to sbrook

to sbrook
I'm not in Canada but Eastlink does offer TIPA services. Ikano USA/Canada offers them.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by ITGeeks:

I'm not in Canada but Eastlink does offer TIPA services.

Everything I have found is Eastlink does not...

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to ITGeeks

Mod

to ITGeeks
Intriguing company, Ikano ... it seems they operate as something of a middleman between telcos and a whitelabel operator. But they deal with DSL ... not cable. Given their professed involvement, I don't understand why/how we haven't heard more of them. The only company I've heard of which they own is interhop (although I'm wondering if I'm confusing that with telehop).

Eastlink is a cable operator.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks
Eastlink offers tpia services for cable in nw and ne ontario in their serving areas via Vianet, but the pricing difference isn't that great for the service, though one could argue otherwise. They offer 20/1 (yup that's it) as the highest tier, unlimited for 57.95...same thgru eastlink is 69.95. But I have a bundle that basically tacks on homephone for an extra 5 bucks/mth, and vianets service I'm not too thrilled about so...I pay about 85/mth after tax for phone and internet thru eastlink.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

This looks more like white label reselling more than TPIA services which of course is a somewhat different ballgame.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to bluenote73

to bluenote73
said by bluenote73:

You are delusional. There is no "imminent" upgrade. Teksavvy is showing no urgency on getting answers here either.

said by TSI Marc:

For TDSL, we have requested a feature be enabled that will raise the upload speeds. I don't know when it will be live but this was done a couple weeks ago after looking into it. Soon the upload speeds should be getting matched with what is on the Telus website.

LOL
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73

said by JMJimmy:

said by bluenote73:

said by TSI Marc:

LOL

im·mi·nent adjective \i-m-nnt\
: happening very soon

Before the announcement in this thread (that you quoted), the official stance was that it should "just happen" in the other tDSL West thread. Clearly that was wrong, and any fanbois suggesting it was just around the corner would have been wrong.

Even now, there's no solid information aside from "soon". For those keeping score, "soon" was also used March 3rd. And while it ACTUALLY may be soon now, there's certainly no info suggesting it is "imminent".

Anyone else wanting to imply I'm the idiot here review this timeline first.

From »[DSL] Telus Upload speed increase

Dec 16, 2013
said by TSI Marc:

I'll see what's up.

Dec 19, 2013
said by TSI Andre:

Ah. I am now waiting for a callback from someone. Hopefully I will have the answer today/tomorrow.

Dec 20, 2014
said by JenSuisUn:

We have reached out to Telus, we are still waiting for a reply.

Regards,
Martin

Jan 3, 2014
said by TSI Andre:

That worked. I got put in touch with the right people. I received some details and I passed them internally to see how we proceed. I will provide more details once I have them.

Jan 21, 2014
said by TSI Andre:

I don't have the answers to that yet. Currently sitting higher up.

Feb 8, 2014
said by TSI Marc:

I'll look into it.. We should be getting the same..

Feb 28, 2014
said by TSI Marc:

for speeds other than 50mbit, what is telus doing that's different then us right now?

Mar 3, 2014
said by TSI Marc:

ok. that's good to know. I've reached out to try to see what the deal is with the 5meg upload... no word back yet. but it sounds like it's being rolled out still and not available everywhere yet but will be soon.

so that is likely what I will be told... and it does make sense.

that just leaves the 50meg issue.. and I know that one is in front of the CRTC still. so that will wait some more.

March 21, 2014
said by TSI Marc:

right.. we should totally be getting the same as them.. I'm looking into it still but by accounts here, it looks like some have, and some don't have the higher speeds, even as Telus customers.. so, I don't know. I'll update once I have more info.

April 5, 2014
said by TSI Marc:

Here is the latest:

An update was pushed out to the Telus Wholesale network on March 28, 2014. The update was for a feature called Dynamic Spectrum Management (DSM). With DSM, the 5 meg upload is now be available to our customers who have it enabled.

With this information we will investigate who has it enabled and how we can get it enabled for everyone. Once I have more info on this I will post again.

If some of you are seeing the higher speeds, please let us know.

Apr 5, 2014
said by TSI Marc:

Should be automatic.

Apr 5, 2014
said by TSI Marc:

K. I'll keep pushing from my side. We'll see what happens.

May 13, 2014
said by TSI Marc:

from what I can tell, some are getting the higher speeds.. it's really a matter of when Telus is rolling it out to the various areas it seems.

for the 50meg speed - that's a CRTC thing that is still waiting on a decision. No news yet on that front.

May 13, 2014
said by TSI Marc:

I'm pretty sure it will just happen automatically.. that's the way it happened for those who have had it enabled.

(Only one person on this forum had been able to show that they had the upgrade, on one of several lines).

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

@bluenote73

To give Marc and crew credit, they are the only major IISP giving the West the time of day with DSL and cable offerings. Start and Ebox are on the down-low in the East. The TSI West customer base is low because of Shaw and Telus' lower broadband pricing (compared to Bhell, cCable, rCable, and vCable) and lack of cap enforcement. It sounds like Telus is starting to clamp down on caps, so maybe TSI will start getting more popular in AB and BC. Beyond all this, Marc, Andre, and Martin generally keep us up to what is going down. Sometimes, someone like myself, is an eager beaver for new shit. We'll get something sooner than later.

I do wish TSI West Cable would expand to Vancouver Island. I'm assuming it's a money issue, but I'm still curious how much TSI gets raped (by Shaw) to be in a new area / POI.