spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Crazyhorse9
join:2010-08-26

1 edit

Crazyhorse9

[HN9000] 2½ year old modem overheating

Late yesterday my HN9000 started acting very erratically. Jumping in status from red to green to yellow and so on. We had some weather but that doesn't cause problems of this sort. I noticed the coax terminals get blazing hot when the problems begin but later at night it was doing okay.

Between last night and this morning I did waste an intolerable amount of time with the tech support script readers/Gen4 peddlers who did all sorts of remote testing and a gave me a whole lot of useless and ridiculous suggestions. About the only thing they didn't tell me was put ketchup on it and spin it on the corner 50 times before reconnecting it.If they had, it would have been the most useful suggestion they offered.

This morning it was shut down with a red power light. I got it to reboot a few times and got some work done. Eventually it got to the point it wasn't able to even complete the initialization sequence before it shut down with the red power light. At that point I RTFM and learned what the red power light actually meant

I gave it a good rest and set it up with a fan blowing on it and it stayed good for 1½ hours. At that point I decided it must need a good cleaning after collecting dust for 2½ years. I was gonna take it apart for cleaning but I don't have the proper bit for disassembling the modem. I did take it outside and gave it a good blowjob with compressed air. I didn't see dust coming out of it.

Do these things collect a good amount of dust over the years that make them begin overheating in their golden years?

For now, it's running along nicely with the fan blowing on the left side. Is this thing near death or can it be saved with a good cleaning?
Crazyhorse9

Crazyhorse9

Additional question. Is it possible that a sudden and elusive fault in the grounding system could cause this overheating of the modem?

james1979
Premium Member
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

james1979 to Crazyhorse9

Premium Member

to Crazyhorse9
I can't help you with your question about overheating modems, exactly. I formerly owned an audio amplifier that was overheating. I disassembled it, cleaned off all of the dust, and it worked fine for a while longer.

I have never had a problem with satellite modems overheating.

Since you have a case number, I would suggest posting it as a problem on »community.myhughesnet.co ··· ughesnet and "politely insisting" on swapping out modems.
A Tech
join:2008-11-10

A Tech to Crazyhorse9

to Crazyhorse9
upgrade to Gen4 you will love it compared to spaceway.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to Crazyhorse9

Premium Member

to Crazyhorse9
When 9000 first came out and I went for the mandatory hands on training, it took forever because the modems kept over heating and had to let them cool down between techs 'doing their training thing'
Crazyhorse9

Crazyhorse9

I found out where Jupiter lives and ran my plots. I will have a clear shot at it through my trees. Although I hate making another deal with the devil after being contract-free, it make more sense to invest probably less money into brand new junk than start throwing money at old junk.

james1979
Premium Member
Quinault, WA

james1979 to A Tech

Premium Member

to A Tech
said by A Tech:

upgrade to Gen4 you will love it compared to spaceway.

I assumed that Gen4 wasn't available, or the un-metered period was important.

Crazyhorse, if you have Gen4 installed, please report back how it works!
Crazyhorse9

Crazyhorse9

I went with the Gen4 and so far I'm very pleased. It's blazing fast compared to the old system and seems very consistent.

I am hoping I will have better weather tolerance with the Gen4. Time will tell but I imagine I will since I suffered with a poor installation of the Gen3. If it was raining hard enough I wouldn't want to briefly walk out without an umbrella, my internet was down.

james1979
Premium Member
Quinault, WA

james1979

Premium Member

You will definitely have better weather tolerance with Gen4.
Crazyhorse9

Crazyhorse9

We had a good test of it tonight with 1.8" of rain since dark. The system was down for a total of around 20 minutes and hanging on the ragged edge for more time but worked fairly well compared to the Gen3.

It was easier for me to more accurately know what was going on at any given time with the old one but I lived with it for a long time. I'll guess I'll get a better feel for this one too as time goes by. This one would be easier if it worked with power word and I could find something like the old initialization page.