uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal

Dan A

join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

4 edits

[Content] Comcast of Central NJ Middlesex to add KVNV 3 MeTV on July 31st

The cross country move of KVNV from Ely, NV to Middletown,NJ/New York has not yet been made as far as I know, but according to Comcast of Central New Jersey's (Middlesex County) June bill we now have launch date likely for all Comcast systems in the New York DMA.

Basic; TBS ch 21 will move from Limited Basic to Expanded
Basic; Community Access will move from ch 3 to ch 26; and
TVGN SS ch 26 will no longer be available. Effective July 31,
2014 KVNV SD and HD will be added to ch 3 and ch 803
respectively.
Effective 7/16/14, access to FearNet On Demand via channel
166 will be discontinued.

It should be also noted that Comcast of Central New Jersey in Mercer County (and other Comcast systems in the Philadephia DMA) added KVNV's Wilmington,DE/Philadephia(Via Jackson, WY) sister station KJWP on channels 2 SD and 788 in HD back on February, 27th but did not give it the prime 802 position in HD as they are now aperently giving KVNV 803 in HD in the New York DMA.

MrJitters

join:2003-11-29
East Montpelier, VT

1 edit

They were able to pull off the move as automatic due to the fact that there is a law that if there is a state that does not have a VHF transmitting station operating, the FCC must permit an existing licensed station to move to the area if they so desire. NJ and DL are the only two states in the country that no longer have a VHF TV station transmitting since the digital changeover. The FCC was and is required to permit this move based on this little known law. Interesting. Also interesting is the fact that you will be getting MeTV in HD. That should improve the old shows a bit due to the fact that at least around here these SD channels are so heavily compressed with a simply awful picture quality as to make them almost unwatchable by today's standards. Horrible. Basically no better than the old VHS IMHO. Enjoy.

cheers.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

I didn't know metv was in hd. Wish somehow I could get antenna tv because it has all in the family which I used to love watching.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

said by mikedz4:

I didn't know metv was in hd.

It's NOT; it's called upconverting (by a local station)...

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit

said by dishrich:

said by mikedz4:

I didn't know metv was in hd.

It's NOT; it's called upconverting (by a local station)...

Yeah, the Wikipedia page for Me-TV (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me-TV) states:
quote:
Picture format: 480i (SDTV) (January 1, 2005–present)
But maybe we'll be able to at least enjoy any locally-inserted commercials in widescreen full-definition on Comcast's HD channel!

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

1 edit
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

I didn't know metv was in hd. Wish somehow I could get antenna tv because it has all in the family which I used to love watching.

We get Antenna TV via WPIX 11.3 on channel 252 unfortunately WPIX looks for places to replace Antenna TV programming with reruns of the mediocre Brad Garrett Fox sitcom Til Death. WNBC is even more annoying with Cozi TV on 248. Cozi Tv programming such as late night reruns of I Spy is replaced by infomercials.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to Dan A

I'm confused because I'm in central NJ and get both the NY and Philly programming and on channel 3 I have QVC. Does this mean it'll be replaced?
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm confused because I'm in central NJ and get both the NY and Philly programming and on channel 3 I have QVC. Does this mean it'll be replaced?

My guess is that QVC will be moved like our community acess channel and you will get KVNV on 3 in SD and 803 in HD
Here the SD version of TVGN with the scrolling listings at the bottom of the screen is being dropped. they have another SD version of this channel full screen without the listings on ch 100.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by Dan A:

said by Mike Wolf:

My guess is that QVC will be moved like our community acess channel and you will get KVNV on 3 in SD and 803 in HD
:

Yes, that's correct. I was just able to view my full bill for June online today and here is what is says for us here in Monmouth County :
quote:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Effective July 23, 2014 the
following channel lineup changes will occur: ... QVC will move
from ch 3 to ch 8; TCN will move from ch 8 to ch 72; ... Effective July 31, 2014
KVNV SD and HD will be added to ch 3 and ch 803 respectively.

said by Dan A:

Here the SD version of TVGN with the scrolling listings at the bottom of the screen is being dropped. they have another SD version of this channel full screen without the listings on ch 100.

And BTW, here are the other channel changes that it says will be occurring for us:
quote:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Effective July 23, 2014 the
following channel lineup changes will occur: HSN ch 52 will
move from Expanded Basic to Limited Basic; TBS ch 17 will
move from Limited Basic to Expanded Basic; ... and TVGN
SS ch 51 will no longer be available.
:
Effective 7/16/14, access to FearNet On Demand via channel
166 will be discontinued.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Dan A

By me we have TVGN on 29 and 100 in SD and 1316 in HD.

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

Here TVGN is 26 (With holdover Prevue Guide Scroll) and 100 in SD and 1316 in HD. I assume the one on 29 in your area will be dropped. Here 29 is WTXF SD and QVC SD is 16.

KYW SD has not been on Ch 3 since the late 1980's when it moved to Ch 37 and was removed from the Middlesex County lineup from September 1993 when it was removed at the request of WNBC until it returned to our system after a 14 year absence on 256 in December 2007.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Dan A

I must have missed something, why is this move even happening?
--

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

2 edits

Press Communications purchased KVNV 3 in Ely NV and through a legal loophole created by WWOR 9 (NJ's only commercial VHF station until 2009)moving to UHF 38 and is in the process of moving it to Middletown NJ (with an antenna in Manhattan) and has requested a must carry on Comcast channel 3 in the New York DMA. They also moved KJWP 2 from Jackson Wyoming to Wilmington and have been given ch 2 and HD 288 through must carry on Comcast systems in the Philadelphia DMA

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Nice, but why HD? I'm currently on vacation in Surfside Beach South Carolina and we have MeTV here on Time Warner and pretty much all the programming are old tv shows shot in 4:3 from the 40''s through 70's like Adam-12 and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Dragnet, shows I would have thought TVLand would have carried. This channel would have been perfect for my Grandfather if he was still alive. »www.metvnetwork.com/shows/
--

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by Mike Wolf:

Nice, but why HD? ... pretty much all the programming are old tv shows shot in 4:3 from the 40''s through 70's ...

Yes, good question.

Like I said above, Me-TV network programming is provided only in 480i SD and, according to the RabbitEars site info on KVNV (»www.rabbitears.info/market.php?r···id=86537), KVNV itself will only be transmitting an SD signal (SD 480i 720x480 4:3).

So like what dishrich See Profile said above, Comcast's HD channel for it will be SD-upconverted-to-HD KVNV/Me-TV programming (does that really make it look any better?) plus maybe an occasional Comcast-inserted, local (in actual HD) commercial.

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

Comcast can't insert comercials on brodcast channels any local inserted HD commercials(or informercials) will be from KVNV it's self.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by Dan A:

Comcast can't insert commercials on broadcast channels, any local inserted HD commercials (or infomercials) will be from KVNV itself.

OK, wasn't sure about that, thanks.

So, as KVNV will only be transmitting an SD signal, all the programming on Comcast's HD channel for it will be upconverted then.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to telcodad

In my experience up converted SD content is gonna look like crap. I just hope they don't try to stretch it into widescreen or make it anamorphic.
--

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad

Sister station KJWP Wilmington/Philadelphia is broadcasting in 720p HD so I assume this will also be the case for KVNV.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by Dan A:

Sister station KJWP Wilmington/Philadelphia is broadcasting in 720p HD so I assume this will also be the case for KVNV.

Yes, that's what the RabbitEars site info on KJWP (»www.rabbitears.info/market.php?r···_id=1283) shows, so maybe its info on KVNV was preliminary. Interesting.

Trip

join:2014-06-09
Alexandria, VA

It is. I anticipate KVNV (to be WJLP, I hear) will look very similar to KJWP, but until I know that for sure, the current listing stays put.

- Trip
www.rabbitears.info

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by Trip:

It is. I anticipate KVNV (to be WJLP, I hear) will look very similar to KJWP, but until I know that for sure, the current listing stays put.

OK, thanks for that update and keeping your (very useful) site accurate and up-to-date!

["join:2014-06-09" -- And I see you just signed up as a member - welcome to the forum!]

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ
reply to Trip

Wonder why PMCM/Press changed the call letters of KJWP from KJWY before the move east thereby retaining a "K" call sign yet are waiting until after the move to change KVNV call sign and thereby getting a "W" call sign. I think a K call sign would stand out even more in New York considering Philadelphia had/has KYW-TV.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I just hope TiVo will show all the correct information with program data and channel logo. I'm still waiting for them to fix Bloomberg HD moving to 814 and the EAS channel being on 1994 and so forth.
--

mdamco25

@108.7.177.x
reply to Dan A

If "WJLP" is true, that could make sense. Press Broadcasting's first (radio) stations were WJLK-AM-FM in Asbury Park, NJ. They sold both stations in 1989 and then purchased WKXW and WBUD in Trenton, NJ. Many years ago, after Press sold the stations, WJLK (AM) became WADB (AM) and the WJLK calls still live on the FM station (branded as 94.3 The Point). So I wonder if WJLP is some sort of tribute to their original station(s). Incidentally, "JLK" was a tribute to J. Lyle Kinmouth who was the publisher of the Asbury Park Press around the time of World War II. When the FM signed on in 1947, it took his initials as their call letters.

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

I also thought similarity to the WJLK call letters.

How many years after Press sold WJLK-AM-FM did they buy the nearby WHTG-AM-FM?

mdamico25

@153.31.113.x

>>How many years after Press sold WJLK-AM-FM did they buy the nearby WHTG-AM-FM?

Dan- they bought WHTG AM-FM in 2000 from the Gade Family. The year before (1999) they sold WBUD/WKXW/WXKW (97.3 FM Millville, NJ, which was a WKXW simulcast at the time) to Millenium Radio. Around that time is also when they sold their Orlando, FL radio and TV station.

-Mike

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

They also sold the Asbury Park Press and the Home News Tribune to Gannett around that time too.

gwilliam

join:2010-03-20
reply to Dan A

I hope we will see some new changes in South Jersey as well.

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

South Jersey already got KVNV's sister station KJWP on SD ch 2 and HD 788 back on February 27