St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

[TV] Cut Cable

Cut the "cord" last week.

Canceled Extreme HD TV package with cable card and reduced FiOS internet from 20/5 mbps to 15/5 mbps.

Will be nice having the extra $60+ every month in my pocket.

Using an antenna and network dual tuner along with Windows Media Center HTPC for live TV pause and recording.

What I miss most is the Weather Scan channel.

McPolygon
join:2013-11-25
Bonney Lake, WA
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD
MikroTik RB4011

McPolygon

I have been contemplating doing the same for some time now. TV Fool says I can get around 25 station in the Seattle area... I just wish there there was a way to get HBO Go and all the other restricted (cable subscription required) live streaming services without paying for traditional linear TV.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Quite a few HBO shows are available with Amazon Prime these days. This article covers most of them plus what else is available via netflix and hulu+ (see links at the bottom of the article).

»www.tomsguide.com/us/bes ··· 896.html
tomab7
join:2006-06-13
Everett, WA

tomab7 to McPolygon

to McPolygon
In Everett make sure you don't have trees / hills in your line of sight. Not always as painless as other terrain friendly parts of the country.

klipko
join:2006-06-28
Portland, OR

klipko to NOYB

to NOYB
NOYB,

What is your total bill now with only Internet service (plus any tax)?

We are contemplating dropping FiOS TV and Phone but keeping Internet and purchasing one Tivo Roamio and mini. 90% of what we've been recording on the FiOS DVR can be received from the local OTA stations so I'm having a hard time justifying pay TV.

(Why Tivo some might ask. I'm not interested in building Windows Media Center systems and want something similar to Frontiers DVR HMI with minimal learning curve. If there are cheaper Tivo like devices out there, do share.)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

For OTA you might check out »www.tablotv.com/ -- fairly new but getting better reviews lately than its slightly older competitor »simple.tv/

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to klipko

Premium Member

to klipko

First post change bill should be posted near end of the month. But it is supposed to be $39.95. Don't think there should be any tax or fees associated with internet.