MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY

1 recommendation

BAINCH to nameisKane

MVM

to nameisKane
said by nameisKane:

What ipv6 setting would I choose? 6to4, native, or what?

So normally I would say native but technically either should work depending on the use case. 6to4 is designed to allow IPv6 encapsulation into IPv4 headers. That is useful if your IPv6 traffic needs to traverse a network segment that doesn't route/support IPv6. The Mediacom network supports IPv6 from you home to the edge where we hand off to various tier-1 providers. So you don't need to encapsulate anything for our network. It may be needed into you are tunneling into a network (say a corporate network that doesn't support IPv6.) Since we are still (and will continue to) provide IPv4 address as well, I don't see many scenarios where that would be needed.

Make sense?
nameisKane
join:2015-03-12
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

nameisKane to Riverpilot

to Riverpilot
Yeah it does. I have native dhcp with pd enable on my router but im not getting any ipv6 addresses. I have a docsis 3 ipv6 cable modem also.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

1 recommendation

Lazy Senior

I have been reading this thread with some interest and have a few questions. I understand what IPV6 does but my questions comes from a everyday internet customer point of view.

When is it going to be NECESSARY to change to IPV6? Is it something I am going to have to worry about doing in the next few months?

I own my own Router - Asus RT-N66U with the latest firmware which supports IPV6.
The router is configurable for IPV6 with many settings available. I have not yet figured out what settings to use.

I own a Moto SB6141 D3 Modem. This modem on the Configuration page says Modem's IP mode - IPV4 only. There is no way I can see to change this setting. Is this setting controlled via Mediacom thru a firmware update?

BAINCH
MVM
Blooming Grove, NY

1 recommendation

BAINCH

MVM

said by Lazy Senior:

When is it going to be NECESSARY to change to IPV6? Is it something I am going to have to worry about doing in the next few months?

Well that is kind of the million dollar question. I think the easy answer is you will NOT need to do anything in the next few months. It is very likely you won't need to do anything this year (my opinion.) After that things will get more interesting. Mediacom plans to continue giving out IPv4 for the foreseeable future so you don't need to worry about us. The unknown is whether various internet "destinations" you might want to visit will still have IPv4 availability in the future. I suspect sites outside the US will have issues first but eventually it will happen here too. When that happens, you will need a functioning IPv6 to reach those new sites.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to Lazy Senior

MVM

to Lazy Senior
said by Lazy Senior:

It will become necessary the moment there exists a web site you wish to visit which is IPv6 only. Currently, nobody has a list of such sites. Most likely would first be a foreign site, as some places in the world are already IPv6 only by virtue of there being no more IPv4 IP addresses available.

I own my own Router - Asus RT-N66U with the latest firmware which supports IPV6.
The router is configurable for IPV6 with many settings available. I have not yet figured out what settings to use.

Assuming that Mediacom is deploying native IPv6 with prefix delegation, that is what you should use in a compatible router.

I own a Moto SB6141 D3 Modem. This modem on the Configuration page says Modem's IP mode - IPV4 only. There is no way I can see to change this setting. Is this setting controlled via Mediacom thru a firmware update?

Again, I have no experience with DOCSIS systems. But, if you want to learn how it is done, check the Comcast forums. They have already deployed DHCPv6-PD across their footprint. Unlike the 6in4/6rd/6to4 tunneling protocols, you don't need to configure any IPv6 addresses. As I understand it (but can't test), your router should get a /128, and be delegated a /64 to assign to connected IPv6 capable devices. That seems to be how Comcast is doing it.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

1 recommendation

drslash (banned) to BAINCH

to BAINCH
said by BAINCH:

said by Lazy Senior:

Well that is kind of the million dollar question. I think the easy answer is you will NOT need to do anything in the next few months. It is very likely you won't need to do anything this year (my opinion.) After that things will get more interesting. Mediacom plans to continue giving out IPv4 for the foreseeable future so you don't need to worry about us. The unknown is whether various internet "destinations" you might want to visit will still have IPv4 availability in the future. I suspect sites outside the US will have issues first but eventually it will happen here too. When that happens, you will need a functioning IPv6 to reach those new sites.

Will Mediacom take an active role with customers to transition them or will Mediacom wait for customers to have issues and work with them at that point? Or is that yet an unknown?
nameisKane
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

nameisKane to Riverpilot

to Riverpilot
Ipv6 capable modem(check), router running native ipv6 with pd(check), yet no ipv6 addresses capable of communicating with the public... Am I missing something?

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

1 edit

1 recommendation

RyanThaDude to BAINCH

to BAINCH
Sadly, I'm not seeing any IPv6 addresses using Native on my Asus RT-AC68P router, but do when I'm using 6to4. »test-ipv6.com confirms this as well. Modem is Cisco DPC3008.

Attached is the IPv6 section of the router. As you can see, there are no IPv6 addresses here at all!

ssego
join:2014-06-16
USA

1 recommendation

ssego

Click for full size
I get an address but only for the router. I flashed back to stock Netgear firmware and got the same results. I'm working with the gentleman who wrote the IPv6 code for OpenWRT, maybe he can help me get it figured out. So far as I can tell, the modem is assigning a working IPv6 address to the router, but the router isn't actually routing anything from LAN to WAN.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

1 recommendation

thedragonmas to BAINCH

Premium Member

to BAINCH
said by BAINCH:

IPv6 rollout is essentially done. If you aren't getting an IPv6 we need to confirm that 1. You have a D3 modem. 2. You have an IPv6 supporting router (may need firmware upgrade) and 3. each individual CPE device supports IPv6.

We are assigning a /64 block to each customer, so unless you have a TRULY incredible quantity of devices in your home, each an every device will get its own IPv6 public IP.

These are being deployed in dual-stack or hybrid mode, which means you will still get an IPv4 public IP address (still very useful for reaching the many portions of the internet that don't yet support IPv6.)

thats the info i needed. but. motorola sb6180 (moto says its ipv6) router is running a tomato variant by shibby, and is apparently ipv6 capable here are some screen grabs.

and looking at the routing table seems to show that address routed correctly, but admittedly i have no idea what im looking at or if posting that would be such a bright idea..

BAINCH
MVM
Blooming Grove, NY

1 recommendation

BAINCH

MVM

said by thedragonmas:

and looking at the routing table seems to show that address routed correctly, but admittedly i have no idea what im looking at or if posting that would be such a bright idea..

I think it is fair to say IPv6 is new to just about everyone, including the router manufacturers and us. So it will likely take a few weeks for us to (hopefully) work together and figure out just how we make this work well for everyone. That may include some firmware updates and trial-and-error on your side. It may also mean tweaking settings on our side frankly. We've deployed using fairly standard settings recommended by our vendor (Cisco in this case) but we aren't necessarily assuming adjusting some settings may not improve compatibility or performance. I'm working with a few customers one-on-one to start, and see if we can build a few success stories to get us going.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

1 recommendation

tsduke

Premium Member

Not seeing IPv6 yet here. Not that I need it, just providing feedback.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

1 recommendation

thedragonmas to BAINCH

Premium Member

to BAINCH
said by BAINCH:

I think it is fair to say IPv6 is new to just about everyone, including the router manufacturers and us. So it will likely take a few weeks for us to (hopefully) work together and figure out just how we make this work well for everyone. That may include some firmware updates and trial-and-error on your side. It may also mean tweaking settings on our side frankly. We've deployed using fairly standard settings recommended by our vendor (Cisco in this case) but we aren't necessarily assuming adjusting some settings may not improve compatibility or performance. I'm working with a few customers one-on-one to start, and see if we can build a few success stories to get us going.

i think its a bug but cant be sure with out posting the routing table, so, ill include it with this post (i figure im behind a firewall and im guessing these are dynamic?)

shibby utilizes the linux ipv6 implamentation and the previous version of the tomatoUSB firmware had a bug that was suposadly fixed with the latest update (which i have) but i "think" im still seeing the rogue "default" entry that was fixed. see here »[IPv6] TomatoUSB and Comcast IPv6 -- bugs found

and ive tried using the "work around" WANup script
# http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27234575-TomatoUSB-and-Comcast-IPv6-bugs-found
#
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/`nvram get wan_iface`/accept_ra
ip -6 route flush default dev `nvram get wan_iface`
echo 2 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/`nvram get wan_iface`/accept_ra

and the firewall script
# alternate fix per http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/ipv6-and-comcast.38006
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/`nvram get wan_iface`/forwarding
ip6tables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -p icmpv6 --icmpv6-type neighbor-solicitation -i vlan2 -d ff02::1:ff00:0/104 -j DROP

both of which found here »www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· t.38006/

i tried them as one at a time and together. no dice. heres my routing table

nameisKane
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

nameisKane to Riverpilot

to Riverpilot
For feedback I've been able to get an ipv6 address through the modem directly but am unable to get one through the router unless I use 6to4. When I select Native with PD it fails. Also, I am getting an error for ipv6 dns too and I have to add a static dns to fix it in 6to4. All of this is running the latest firmware on an Asus Rt-n66u.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by nameisKane:

For feedback I've been able to get an ipv6 address through the modem directly but am unable to get one through the router unless I use 6to4. When I select Native with PD it fails.

Do you know whose IPv6 IP address you get with a 6to4 tunnel? For me it used to be AT&T; now it is Hurricane Electric. It will depend on who is routing 192.88.99.1 in your locale.

Also, I am getting an error for ipv6 dns too and I have to add a static dns to fix it in 6to4.

You should have fields for IPv6 DNS servers in the IPv6 section of the ASUS web GUI:

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
Walkerton, IN

1 recommendation

RyanThaDude to nameisKane

to nameisKane
I connected directly and I received a IPv6 address without issue. With the Asus router, not so much. It does work, though, using 6to4 but AFAIK it uses a 3rd party to tunnel IPv6 through IPv4 and doesn't involve Mediacom.
ssego
join:2014-06-16
USA

1 recommendation

ssego

I confirmed my suspicion with the OpenWRT devs. The modem is giving the router a single IPv6 address, not a block. Until the router gets a /64 address space nothing but the router will be able to connect to IPv6.
nameisKane
Springfield, MO

nameisKane to Riverpilot

to Riverpilot
I have no idea whos ipv6 it is, I can a tracert later on to figure out though.
nameisKane

1 recommendation

nameisKane to Riverpilot

to Riverpilot
Nvm I have no idea how to tracert the relay on 6to4. What I do know is that your ISP doesn't need to provide IPV6 for 6to4 to work since ipv6 packets are only being encapsulated in ipv4 packets. So if you say that ipv6 is being provided to you but you have your router set at 6to4 that doesn't mean that you are being provided ipv6 by Mediacom. It could mean that someone else is performing the relay. I'm curious though. Does anyone reading this have Native ipv6 up and running through their router on Mediacom?

ipv6movement
@pppoe.ca

ipv6movement to Riverpilot

Anon

to Riverpilot
It is pretty clear from the posts made so far that DHCPv6-PD is not working. So Mediacom will have to look into that.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to nameisKane

MVM

to nameisKane
said by nameisKane:

I have no idea how to tracert the relay on 6to4.

Trace to the remote tunnel endpoint:
Tracing route to 192.88.99.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  koyomi.aosake.net [192.168.102.1]
  2    21 ms    21 ms    20 ms  173-228-7-1.dsl.static.fusionbroadband.com [173.228.7.1]
  3    20 ms    20 ms    21 ms  gig1-4.cr1.lsatca11.sonic.net [70.36.243.13]
  4   653 ms   798 ms   956 ms  ae2.cr2.lsatca11.sonic.net [50.0.79.178]
  5    20 ms    21 ms    21 ms  50.ae4.gw.pao1.sonic.net [142.254.58.158]
  6    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  ae2.0.gw.equinix-sj.sonic.net [50.0.2.14]
  7    31 ms    30 ms    21 ms  10gigabitethernet2-3.core1.sjc2.he.net [206.223.116.37]
  8    21 ms    22 ms    21 ms  192.88.99.1

Trace complete.

The last identifiable router, in my case, belongs to Hurricane Electric.
nameisKane
Springfield, MO

2 edits

nameisKane to Riverpilot

to Riverpilot

Tracing route to 192.88.99.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 4 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 122 ms 13 ms 16 ms.client.mchsi.com
3 16 ms ]
4 29 ms 39 ms 28 ms 172.30.81.25
5 16 ms 99 ms 16 ms 172.30.3.209
6 16 ms 15 ms 18 ms 12.250.192.121
7 28 ms 30 ms 33 ms cr1.kc9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.150.70]
8 38 ms 33 ms 29 ms cr2.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.2.169]
9 29 ms 32 ms 27 ms ggr3.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.138.17]
10 37 ms 47 ms 43 ms v205.core1.dal1.he.net [216.66.78.121]
11 35 ms 28 ms 28 ms 192.88.99.1

Trace complete.
C:\Users\>
nameisKane

nameisKane to Riverpilot

to Riverpilot
I have no idea who that is but it doesn't look like mediacom.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

NetRange:       192.88.99.0 - 192.88.99.255
CIDR:           192.88.99.0/24
NetName:        6TO4-RELAY-ANYCAST-IANA-RESERVED
NetHandle:      NET-192-88-99-0-1
Parent:         NET192 (NET-192-0-0-0-0)
NetType:        IANA Special Use
OriginAS:       
Organization:   Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
RegDate:        
Updated:        2013-08-30
Comment:        Addresses starting with "192.88.99." are used by anyone running a 6to4 relay router.  Many different organizations use these addresses, which means they cannot be used to identify an individual network operator.
Comment:        
Comment:        The 6to4 protocol provides tunneled IPv6 connectivity for networks without native IPv6 access.
Comment:        
Comment:        These addresses were assigned by the IETF, the organization that develops Internet protocols, in the Informational document RFC 5737, which can be found at:
Comment:        http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5737
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-192-88-99-0-1

OrgName:        Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
OrgId:          IANA
Address:        12025 Waterfront Drive
Address:        Suite 300
City:           Los Angeles
StateProv:      CA
PostalCode:     90292
RegDate:        
Updated:        2012-08-31
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/IANA

OrgAbuseHandle: IANA-IP-ARIN
OrgAbuseName:   ICANN
OrgAbusePhone:  +1-310-301-5820 
OrgAbuseEmail:  abuse@iana.org
OrgAbuseRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/IANA-IP-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: IANA-IP-ARIN
OrgTechName:   ICANN
OrgTechPhone:  +1-310-301-5820 
OrgTechEmail:  abuse@iana.org
OrgTechRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/IANA-IP-ARIN

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to nameisKane

MVM

to nameisKane
said by nameisKane:

I have no idea who that is but it doesn't look like mediacom.

It would be reasonable to assume, from the second to last hop, that it is Hurricane Electric.

BAINCH
MVM
Blooming Grove, NY

1 recommendation

BAINCH to ipv6movement

MVM

to ipv6movement
said by ipv6movement :

It is pretty clear from the posts made so far that DHCPv6-PD is not working. So Mediacom will have to look into that.

We agree. Prefix Delegation does not appear to be working, at least not in many cases. We had a call yesterday with the vendor and have some changes we will be testing next week. I will post updates as appropriate.

The single-IP delegations do appear to be working in all cases we've investigated, so you should get one if the CPE is directly connected to the modem or you should see one assigned to the WAN-side of your router if supported.
qcarm
join:2009-12-18
Moline, IL

1 recommendation

qcarm to Riverpilot

to Riverpilot
Like the others, my Zoom 5341J modem provides an ipv6 to my Zyxel USG router only when prefix delegation request is disabled.

ipv6movement
@pppoe.ca

ipv6movement

Anon

said by qcarm:

Like the others, my Zoom 5341J modem provides an ipv6 to my Zyxel USG router only when prefix delegation request is disabled.

Well to be pedantic it is not the modem that provides the IPv6 address it is the DHCP server at Mediacom that is.
ipv6movement

ipv6movement to BAINCH

Anon

to BAINCH
said by BAINCH:

We agree. Prefix Delegation does not appear to be working, at least not in many cases. We had a call yesterday with the vendor and have some changes we will be testing next week. I will post updates as appropriate.

The single-IP delegations do appear to be working in all cases we've investigated, so you should get one if the CPE is directly connected to the modem or you should see one assigned to the WAN-side of your router if supported.

Good to hear that. Users will be pleased when this issue has been resolved.

Yes, it seems from the feedback that the /128 is working just fine via DHCPv6.