All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks

Re: The white paper claims about 100ms latency...

That was my thought... but I think they said its like 12 miles up. Have to be either a good shot or state sponsored thuggery im guessing.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned)

it would be nearly impossible to shoot any thing down that is 12 miles up from the ground.

Also does any one know if the 100 ms is round trip or one way? I know most sat net providers will talk about 500ms and make it out like this is round trip when in reality it is each way and that's only in best conditions. Im thinking that it is round trip. Potential is allot better though id say 75ms pings once its all up and running would not be out side the realm of possibility with this. Basically is you can get sub 100ms from a server half way around the world then the 12 mile altitude is not going to make a huge difference. It will be a limit on what their transceivers can push out wattage wise. Higher watts better pings lower watts higher pings. Granted other factors will effect it clouds etc. Pretty much any thing that will effect sat signal will effect this but to a much less extent.

anonasdasdas
@50.170.133.x

anonasdasdas to BosstonesOwn

Anon

to BosstonesOwn
Well duh, lasers?
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz to Nanaki

to Nanaki
I'd think it's one-way too but not sure. They are saying 4-5 times better than traditional SAT for round trip but I'd think just from device to SAT, not the entire path of other systems involved.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Ahh 4 to 5 times better that would be 1 way. Sat net is 500ms 1 way 1 second round trip. That seems a little slow to me honestly.

A tv satellite (same orbit as a satellite internet satellite is 22,236 miles high above us. Now 12 miles is 1/2000 the distance. See why 100ms one way seems a bit high to me? Ahh well looks like there is plenty of room for improvement with this tech. Id say in 5 years after it is in place we should see ping times round trip in sub 100 ms. Doubt we will see any thing much better than mid 70s. But of course like sat net this is not meant for heavy gaming etc just for getting net to places where your not normally able to. You just know googles gona pump out ip tv service with this to. If they do it will kill satalite tv out right i suspect and honestly id love to see dish and direct tv get smashed esp direct tv. The fee you to death sobs need to be put to death heh. Got to love $90 for tv packages advertised at sub $30.