uniqs

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

RipTides to robbin

to robbin

Re: Bathroom Restoration

said by robbin:

There is no tile on the walls -- that is some type of hardboard paneling.

ACK! Yeah I see that now.
That makes this even worse then.. since it won't hold up/last very long and is quite possibly covering up more damage. That means all that should come out then.. so should the ceiling at that point. Which is what I meant by spiraling out of control. Because there's going to be more things found... There's ALWAYS more things to be found, when tearing out old wallboard/sheetrock, especially in a 50 year old bathroom. And with the person doing this, (is he an owner or renter, was that clear?), lacking DIY in anything, makes this almost a "call someone" project.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

You could say I am a partial owner currently. It's a family owned house and is in the process of being handed down. I will eventually be the sole owner of the house.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to 66860111

Premium Member

to 66860111
said by 66860111:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Pher9999:

Measure each wall. Sheetrock comes in 4x8 sheets.

Or 4 x 12 Ft. dimensions

Or 4 x 9 Ft. dimensions.
Or 4 x 10 Ft. dimensions.
Or 4 x 14 Ft. dimensions.
Or 4 x 16 Ft. dimensions.

»www.nationalgypsum.com/r ··· oard.pdf

You forgot about 54" wide sizes ...........

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

1 recommendation

RipTides to MineCoast

to MineCoast
said by MineCoast:

You could say I am a partial owner currently. It's a family owned house and is in the process of being handed down. I will eventually be the sole owner of the house.

Gotcha. Yeah it looks like a full tear out would be what's needed, maybe the ceiling, maybe not, it depends. With no experience, the real main issue is going to be finishing out the sheetrock. It's an acquired skill that takes practice, and you need to do it where it's near 95% perfect when mudding, because trying to fix it in sanding is sheer crazy inducing. And when you mess it up you'll see it forever in the wall.

It would be better advised to do the demo on everything yourself, replace what needs to be fixed in the walls, then see about getting, at the very least, someone to come out and do the finishing up of the walls, if not do them all, as some guys rather hang their own in the style they're used to, before finishing. A guy good at it could have it hung and finished out in about 2 days.

On the floor you didn't say if you wanted to keep the tile in or not. I know that those tiles on concrete will present a huge pain to demo. I'd vinyl over it myself, but you might want to think about how much time/money you'll want to put into that. But it's something that could be skipped, but at the cost of later having to pull the toilet..

But getting help on the walls would let you concentrate more on the rest and finishing out with new vanity, if that's an option, tub surround, exhaust fan, learning some plumbing (replace all your old stops/shutoffs while the water is off), and with someone doing the walls you'd definitely be able to "learn" some of the tricks and maybe get a hand in on it.

You got options.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to kherr

to kherr
said by kherr:

Who sells those? I just did a good amount of drywall last year (85 4'x10' sheets) and called around to a dozen places to get sizes and prices. Never heard of it. The link above shows National Gypsum doesn't sell it. Was that the China defective drywall?
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

They use it all the time around here when there's 9' ceilings. It eliminates having a 12" strip in the middle of the wall. They genially buy Missouri drywall because it has a higher fiber content or something that's not required in Illinois. Costs the same on either side of the river. This usually is not a HD type stock item, but a commercial drywall supplier. Never really looked as to who makes it because it's an everyday type thing around here.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by kherr:

They use it all the time around here when there's 9' ceilings. It eliminates having a 12" strip in the middle of the wall. They genially buy Missouri drywall because it has a higher fiber content or something that's not required in Illinois. Costs the same on either side of the river. This usually is not a HD type stock item, but a commercial drywall supplier. Never really looked as to who makes it because it's an everyday type thing around here.

I only got quotes from commercial suppliers since I needed it delivered. I guess it's a regional thing.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to MineCoast

to MineCoast
Your best bet is to gut the whole room down to the studs, replace the tub, and sheetrock the walls and ceiling (if it's in bad shape), set a new low flow toilet and a new pedestal sink or vanity.

For the walls outside the tub area, you can just paint them, tile half way up, put in a chair rail, and wallpaper the top half or use bead board paneling for the bottom half instead of tile.

»www.diynetwork.com/how-t ··· dex.html

If you plan on ceramic tiling the floor, put in new good solid plywood subfloor to get a good base so it won't crack. Otherwise, viny flooring works well. Don't use peel and stick tiles. They move as you walk on them, leaving gaps between them.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

said by MineCoast:

What would be the best way to start this project?

Remove everything down to bare studs.

And remove the studs down to the bare .... joists?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

said by kherr:

Who sells those? I just did a good amount of drywall last year (85 4'x10' sheets) and called around to a dozen places to get sizes and prices. Never heard of it. The link above shows National Gypsum doesn't sell it. Was that the China defective drywall?

Actually a footnote says 5/8" Fire-Shield gypsum board available in 54" widths.
lutful

lutful to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
said by MineCoast:

$2000 or less if at all possible. This bathroom is tiny... It's probably 5 feet by 5 feet would be my guess, so around 25 sq feet? It's only as wide as the bathtub and it's only long enough to the tolite and a tiny single sink vanity with no storage.

I am also planning to renovate a small bathroom with some water damage from my son's experiments. I am going to use mold and moisture resistant boards and cover with vinyl which look like tile. When my son is older, I will probably replace with proper floor and wall tiles.

P.S. For limited budget, Home Depot and Lowes always have deep sales on some bathtub, toilet, and complete vanity with top and matching mirror.