All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
corbin
join:2013-09-13

corbin to Marcer

to Marcer

Re: Shaw Almost Unusable!

It sounds to me like you are on Wifi? I'd suggest that you're having Wifi connectivity issues?

To learn about DOCSIS (the technology behind cable broadband service), Ars Technica has written a great article:

»arstechnica.com/business ··· -access/

This will teach you terms like Head End. When the folks say Chassis, they are referring to a Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).
said by Marcer:

Initial investigation to this would be for the OP to access their modem (typically located at 192.168.100.1) to determine the errors stored within the unit's logs (if accessible)

This page is not accessible on Shaw modems.

I'd suggest opening a thread on community.shaw.ca so one of the mods can have a look.
Karyudo
join:2011-03-01

Karyudo

I'm trying to keep up, but the response has been great and I'm falling behind!

Some point-form answers:

%u2022 Nope, not on WiFi. Gigabit ethernet over CAT6.
%u2022 Nope, no tech has come out.
%u2022 I haven't timed it, but it's about three minutes on, three minutes off, lather, rinse, repeat.
%u2022 I checked the lights on the modem: exactly NO change in the lights between working and not.
%u2022 Haven't tried accessing the modem -- although it sounds like I wouldn't be successful, anyway. I don't know what the Shaw Tech folks are doing in the background, while the CSR puts me on hold.
%u2022 Shaw says it's their problem, backed up by some refundage, so I don't have any reason to believe my end is at all responsible for the problem. Do I?
%u2022 I'll check out the Ars Technica article. Thanks!
%u2022 Luckily, I have a Mobilicity unlimited data plan running on a Nexus 5, plus a couple of WiFi USB sticks, so I'm able to bypass Shaw for non-downloading Internet use.
20424689 (banned)
join:2014-04-08

20424689 (banned) to corbin

to corbin
id suggest someone fire dumbass in shaw who decided it was cool to lock people out from being able to check your own power levels and change your own mac address (something you can do bridged with your own pc our router easy) almost every router in the world has the option to change mac. and almost every modem in the world has the option to view power levels

shaw locks people out

sense made = 0

biz 50 used to be 50/5. now its 50/3

excuse me while i go killmyself

if ANYONE can explain to me any reasons why locking users out from seeing there own power levels makes sense i will give them a cookie. if people can get the levels read of to them by calling into tech support anyway. good job wasting your own employee's time shaw.

same goes for the mac adress thing. people who are bridged can do it? why can't people who want to use shaw all in one modem have the option?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Because then people will complain, and start reporting that their signal level changed, and want Shaw to fix it, people are afraid of negative numbers for example, but Rx +6 vs -6 makes no difference

So it is to prevent calls from people reporting their signal is slightly off what it should be, and wanting Shaw to fix it.

And the Shaw employees aren't supposed to tell you what your signal levels are, believe the term prosperity data is used for it
20424689 (banned)

20424689 (banned)

well that would be shaws fault for hiring undertrained phone support that arent smart enough to simply explain it doesnt make a difference.

if shaw retentions are so good at not budging, why should it be so much harder for tech support.

if peoples levels are off. then shaw should fix them. and id bet over 50% of customers are worse then -6 -> +6

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

-6 and +6, there is still nothing wrong though.

The people who set Shaw's standards say -10 to +10 is good/acceptable
corbin
join:2013-09-13

corbin to Karyudo

to Karyudo
I still think OP should post on Shaw community, tell the mods I sent you, and I'll have a look on a coffee break, see what I can't see on the modem/CMTS for you.
20424689 (banned)

20424689 (banned)

shaw community is useless its run by mods who are looking out for the company

shaw community = awful

i usually laugh alot when i read posts on there. the mods are trained worse then half the phone tech support staff.

people report congestion and problems like this on a regular basis. shaw community employee's are nothing but stubborn and almost never admit its shaws fault. even if your first hop time is like 90ms but not 100. they'll say

"anything below 100 is acceptable" lmfao
Karyudo
join:2011-03-01

Karyudo to corbin

to corbin
said by corbin:

I still think OP should post on Shaw community, tell the mods I sent you

Done! »community.shaw.ca/thread/14318