spc
uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to Zoder

to Zoder

Re: Wrong direction

Actually, the VOIP fees charged now are going up nationwide due to many local municipalities tacking on their OWN local-yocal surcharges on VOIP (based on actual called minutes, not cost to the consumer) this means your voip surcharges, taxes & fees could end up being what a regular line was years ago.. $10 a month in fees/taxes/line charge from the fcc.

This fee basically goes to the Verizon profit column and nothing else. It makes triple play less attractive since it's YOU that's getting played (for a fool).

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

"due to many local municipalities tacking on their OWN local-yocal surcharges"

It's out of control. Just in the county I live in there are something like 13 tax districts and probably a hundred just in this LATA alone. Every town has their hand out looking for their cut. There isn't a set rate so you can't do a one side fits all.
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Ooma (my provider has a by zip code breakdown) luckily many municipalities in NY aren't as bad as some in say, Tennessee or Arkansas

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Here some zip codes span multiple jurisdictions. For example 37421 includes The city of Chattanooga and Hamilton County which are two different tax rates.
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

I think it's possible you pay both fees, which is corruption at it's finest.
It'd be best to work on getting another "billing address" zip code so that large taxes wouldn't apply making VOIP expensive. You can always MOVE your E911 address with Ooma since it's a voip box that is allowed to be moved from residence to residence. Just as bad as paying sales tax on regular groceries in Tennessee.