Search similar:

uniqs
Neiljoshua
join:2012-08-20
Astoria, NY

Neiljoshua

Where is Al Jazeera America?

Why did RCN drop this news channel?
Please RCN restore it as soon as possible. Even better if it is only HD.
FitChicago
join:2010-12-31
Chicago, IL

FitChicago

VERY disappointed that RCN has dropped Al Jazeera America.

The very large condo building I live in is an RCN exclusive building that is in the process of evaluating our RCN agreement and examining alternatives. If RCN fails to carry Al Jazeera America then I will lobby against continuing my building's agreement with RCN.

newsies
@207.237.77.x

newsies

Anon

i never watched AJA but it is a good alternative to the CNN and FOX news of the world. apparently i fall into the majority as the ratings for the channel hardly register
»nypost.com/2014/04/11/al ··· layoffs/

but i understand those that like the channel will be highly upset. i'm sure in any agreement with a condo there is fine print that allows for channel adds and drops. perhaps this is a negotiating ploy for rcn w/AJA and the channel will return. certaintly AJA needs RCN more than vice versa.

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost to Neiljoshua

to Neiljoshua
Aren't we supposed to receive notice 60 days in advance of a programming change of this nature?
BackStJoe
join:2009-08-17
New York, NY

BackStJoe to Neiljoshua

to Neiljoshua
I thought it was odd when I got the message last night...I didn't watch often but enjoyed it when I did.

machpost
Washington, DC

machpost to Neiljoshua

to Neiljoshua
RCN is insisting that we received notice in this month's bill, but there's not a single mention of Al Jazeera America in my bill.
tivoNYC
join:2013-11-07
New York, NY

tivoNYC to newsies

to newsies
said by newsies :

i never watched AJA but it is a good alternative to the CNN and FOX news of the world. apparently i fall into the majority as the ratings for the channel hardly register
»nypost.com/2014/04/11/al ··· layoffs/

"Al Jazeera America is averaging just 15,000 total viewers, [...] The channel draws fewer than 6,000 viewers in the 25-to-54-year-old target audience for news."

Those low numbers are slightly above local public-access viewership. Too bad as a different viewpoint is always welcome as long as it's truthful.

I don't understand why anyone would watch FOX news. It's not news. It's a distorted viewpoint of an old cranky billionaire Rupert Murdoch. I've no problem with the station having a conservative bias but Murdoch promotes twisted conspiracy theories. Like Rush they both know that type of rhetoric $ells.
Neiljoshua
join:2012-08-20
Astoria, NY

Neiljoshua to machpost

to machpost
I just double check my April and May statements and I don't see anything mentioning Al Jazeera. RCN promotes that it is adding channels, but it got rid of one of few good channels RCN had in its premiere package...
areyesrn
join:2005-12-24
Wilmington, DE

areyesrn to Neiljoshua

to Neiljoshua
i guess we'd have to watch the online streams...

LL
@207.237.136.x

LL to Neiljoshua

Anon

to Neiljoshua
I am also trying to find out why Al Jazeera was removed from my RCN channel line-up. I cannot find an explanation for this and am frustrated.

machpost
Washington, DC

machpost to Neiljoshua

to Neiljoshua
What I notice most of all is that when a channel disappears without warning, my cable bill doesn't go down, even a few cents.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer RCN over the alternative by a million, but we as customers have a duty to hold them accountable for the value that they deliver. More than ever these days.
FitChicago
Chicago, IL

FitChicago to newsies

to newsies
said by newsies :

but i understand those that like the channel will be highly upset. i'm sure in any agreement with a condo there is fine print that allows for channel adds and drops. perhaps this is a negotiating ploy for rcn w/AJA and the channel will return.

Our building's agreement, which is one of rcn's more lucrative contracts in Chicago, is expiring which has resulted in the condo association exploring all options (including renewing with rcn) to provide owners with the highest quality service, best technology and most competitive cost. Prior to rcn dumping Al Jazeera out of nowhere I was a big proponent of keeping rcn, if nothing changes I will be one of the biggest opponents of keeping rcn.

I'm somewhat of a news junkie but don't like news presented with two sides yelling at each other and a bunch of tabloid drivel that is meaningless but gets a ton of airtime on all the other news channels, Al Jazeera America was the one place on TV that one could be informed and educated.

I'm disgusted with rcn and I've been a loyal customer for years, in both dc and chicago.

kellyPB
@74.108.223.x

kellyPB to machpost

Anon

to machpost
@machpost ur argument of rates dropping if a channe is removed means u will have no problem if rates go up when they add channels? rcnconnects twitter page explained removal of Al Jazeera but has since removed the tweet. their likely bogus claim that they announced this channel drop in newspapers and bills was also removed.

machpost
Washington, DC

machpost

said by kellyPB :

@machpost ur argument of rates dropping if a channe is removed means u will have no problem if rates go up when they add channels?

The rates keep going up regardless of whether new channels have been added or not. They never go down, though.
tivoNYC
New York, NY

tivoNYC

Unfortunately all services and goods keep going up but you are choosing to laser focus on RCN rates. Now there are tricks companies play to make you *think* prices aren't rising. A can of tuna is now 5 ounces when only a couple of years ago use to be 6.5 ounces! That's a HUGE price increase for the exact same item.

I'm paying about what I paid 10 years ago for the 3 service bundle but instead my internet speed is 50x faster, my phone quality is crystal clear and I get a TiVo Q instead of a regular cable box.

Now the rent I pay on my apt or car prices really have risen in 10 years. Normal inflation and a global market vying for natural resources make everything more expensive.

But outside it's a beautiful sunny day today!
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

If your paying the same you were ten years ago. You have special promo rates because its not like rcn hasnt raised the rates in ten years.
tivoNYC
New York, NY

tivoNYC

Well to be fair 10 years ago I was on TWC.
JamiLeeD
join:2004-01-03
Silver Spring, MD

JamiLeeD to Neiljoshua

to Neiljoshua
It was posted on Twitter at least:
said by RCNConnects :

Viewing for this channel was low & didn't justify the cost to carry the channel.

Personally, I didn't watch it regularly because of the non-HD video quality of the feed. Now, if they had an HD feed, I'd watch regularly.
FitChicago
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

FitChicago to Neiljoshua

to Neiljoshua
I'm absolutely STUNNED by RCN's silence about their removal of Al Jazeera America from their lineup. I even emailed @RCNCares (Jason) a very thoughtful, polite note asking about Al Jazeera and I haven't heard back from him. I'm somewhat astonished because I've always been impressed by and praised @RCNCares (Jason's) commitment to best-in-class customer service.

Very disappointing.

machpost
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

machpost

The channel was probably carried until June 1st under the contract terms with the previous network that occupied that channel, Current TV. RCN dropped carriage of a local over-the-air digital subchannel that they'd carried for years when it started carrying Al Jazeera English, Al Jazeera America's predecessor. This leads me to believe that it was a politically-motivated decision to drop the channel. Pretty disappointing.

I'm most disappointed that this programming was dropped without properly notifying customers, a violation of their franchise agreement with the DC Office of Cable Television, if I am not mistaken. RCN insists that they notified us in the most recent bill, but I read through it ten times and there is no mention of it at all.
Expand your moderator at work
hydrox
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Lexington, MA

hydrox to Neiljoshua

Premium Member

to Neiljoshua

Re: Where is Al Jazeera America?

Count me in also as a disappointed customer at the dropping of this channel, the lack of notice, and lack of rationale/transparency for the decision.
jonbrach
join:2005-03-31
New York, NY

jonbrach

I think the people here are pretty much the only viewers of Al jazeera!This is I am sure a business decision as nobody is watching the station1

grapkoski
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Washington, DC

grapkoski

Premium Member

While a fair point, I honestly didn't watch it more religiously because it was an SD feed.
Expand your moderator at work

st89jebn
Premium Member
join:2009-07-22
Drexel Hill, PA

st89jebn to Neiljoshua

Premium Member

to Neiljoshua

Re: Where is Al Jazeera America?

I couldn't have even told you that we had this channel.

Ny11103
@72.43.187.x

Ny11103

Anon

Lucky!you don't know what you were and are missing.
Even the SD picture quality was very good. This news channel actually broadcasted news, had great shows, and special reports.
Very disappointed.
areyesrn
join:2005-12-24
Wilmington, DE

areyesrn

apparently there is no free online stream. ooops...and FIOS are the only one showing the HD version of this channel...