All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726

[Internet] Rogers sending notices to replace modems - how often/when?

Hey folks,

I was wondering how often and when is the time that Rogers usually send out notices to customers who subscribed to their internet services - telling them it's time to replace their cable modems/internet gateways?

My mom is among those (who has yet to receive a notice from Rogers) who are waiting to see if they have to get their modems replaced, as cable internet technology evolves and new technologies require that modems must be replaced.

My mom is currently utilizing a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem for her "lite internet" service. That particular modem is connected to a D-Link DIR-615N wireless router that she used to connect her laptop and iPhone 5 throughout her house.

Sometimes, the wireless router could be an issue as she often faced with network connectivity issues in her house (she lives in a townhouse).

Does Rogers usually send out notices in the mail to people on telling them to replace their modem or do they usually see a notice being injected & posted on a webpage they visit? If it's the latter, then my mom would not clearly understand what that message is.

Any suggestions?

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

JC_

Premium Member

As far as I know Rogers won't send a notice to upgrade the modem, especially since your mother is using Lite internet.

The current cable technology, DOCSIS3 is backwards compatible with DOCSIS2 so there is no need to replace the modem. A SB5101 is a very solid modem and unless you're having issues with there is no need to replace it.

If you're having network issues isolate the problem, wireless vs wired, router vs modem, if the modem is the problem call up Rogers and request a new one. They'll either offer a refurbished SB5101 or one of the Hitron CGN2.

Since she lives in a townhouse it's likely if the wireless is the problem it's usually because of frequency congestion and in that case getting a new modem isn't going to change anything and an easy fix is to get a dual band router, 2.4GHz and 5GHz as well as a dual band wireless adapter for her computer.

Current modems offered, »www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The last time I heard of them doing that was when they were eliminating the TeraPro modems, and before that the LanCity and wave modems.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

The last time I heard of them doing that was when they were eliminating the TeraPro modems, and before that the LanCity and wave modems.

They also did it for the few DOCSIS 1.1 modems they had, off the top of my head i remember a RCA 235, an ericsson piperider and a terayon terajet of some kind (it was docsis 1.1) i think they also had one that was docsis 2.0
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

yyzlhr to simon726

to simon726
You will not get a notice unless Rogers is decommissioning a certain technology which would leave customers without service unless they changed their modems.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt
Don't remember forcing letters for the D1.1 modems (yeah the modems you mentioned) ... I went to a D2 modem with the upgrade to 5Mbps Extreme!!! That was SO fast back then. Days when we were talking 5GB/month caps!
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

1 recommendation

cepnot4me to simon726

to simon726
From what I heard (I've been asking) there is no immediate plan to decommissioned D2 devices.
D1.1 were the last batch decommissioned and to be honest, some Scientific Atlanta D1s are still out there. So it's not turned right off.

The D2 platform is still very popular, and I just found out That in Commercial accounts the Motorolla SB5100/5101 is running 30mbps down. And still available to order.
As well all our managed routers are still SMC Docsis 2.
Running 30 down. (unsure of upstream, I assume only 1mbps).

Does Rogers want you to go to Docsis 3? Absolutely, there should be incentives and promos out there to switch. But looking at least 1 year forward, Docsis 2 will not be decommissioned.
(rumor has it a D3 managed router is coming and that might start the decommissioning.)
cepnot4me

cepnot4me to HiVolt

to HiVolt
There was a terayon D2. I've seen 10 or 20 in my career. Solid modems. I actually just exchanged one for a D3 the other day. But very rare.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The Terayon TeraJet 715 was their D2 offering ... They were OK but incompatible with one of the CMTS upgrades and caused all manner of hell across most of Rogers network, so they got most people off them lickety split. Motorola bought Terayon out in 2007 after Terayon backed out of the consumer related data products market, focusing instead on Digital Broadcasting, although that didn't last long. Another big player bites the dust!

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I seem to also recall a TeraJet 615, which I believe was D1.1

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Boy does that take me back. I had one of those.

EssGee
join:2002-01-06
Toronto, ON
Hitron CGN3

EssGee

Agreed. First cable modem was a Terayon years ago (not the TeraJet or TeraPro). The big square ones. Damned if I can remember the model #. Not an ECM100...

»www.cable-modem-internet ··· ayon.gif

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I had a big fat Terayon when I first signed up with Shaw Wave (Before it became Shaw@Home). I dont remember the model but it was about double the size of the TeraPro TCM100 (flat one) and then I had a TCM200 I think they called it the shark fin.

When Rogers took the area over from Shaw, they completely butchered it and there were several speed reductions as rogers kept overselling the area... Shaw had 10/1 from 1996 to 2000 when Rogers took over, and there was never any congestion.

When Rogers took over they almost immediately lowered it to 3/384k, then to 1.5/192k. at that time (2002-ish) i got fed up with Cable and went to DSL, and have never looked back (apart from a brief stint with TPIA (TekSavvy) cable for a couple years when it came out, but i always kept my DSL, and later upgraded to VDSL.

EssGee
join:2002-01-06
Toronto, ON

EssGee

TCM100! That's the one
Not until 5 Mbps service did I have to change to an SB5100.
Thanks HiVolt

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I dont remember the model but it was about double the size of the TeraPro TCM100 (flat one) and then I had a TCM200 I think they called it the shark fin.

Probably this modem;

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Nah, thats the lancity. the Sharkfin was the TCM 200

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

I remember that one, had it after Rogers@Home switched to Docsis.
hightech
join:2011-01-03

hightech to simon726

to simon726
Oh god! I remember this and not for the good. Connections always dropping, slow speed. So far the DCM476 and the Motorola's have been very good.