spc
Search similar:

uniqs

winmaster
@216.26.118.x

winmaster

Anon

Fuzzy Analog Cable, TV to Blame?

I am currently subletting a room in a relatively nice apartment with built in cable TV. Unfortunately, I can only pick up analog channels (I'm not sure if there are supposed to be digital ones or not) and they look very fuzzy on my oCosmo HDTV. Now, this isn't just analog fuzzy, its actually relatively difficult to make out whats on the screen. Every channel is like that. What's really strange is that when I first tune in to a given channel, it looks fine for a brief moment, and then goes fuzzy. The TV that was here before looked fine.

So, is there anything I can do to improve the situation? Thanks for your expertise.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

Where are you located and who is the provider? Your market may have converted to digital which means you need a box, full featured to get on demand and more or a HD DTA. Many are doing it now, Comcast for sure.

winmaster
@128.104.109.x

winmaster

Anon

I'm located in Madison, WI and my provider is ResTech Services: »www.restechservices.net/

I know a box is not necessary for my setup. If I'm supposed to be getting digital, then it is probably clear QAM. But their website is not very helpful.
winmaster

winmaster

Anon

An update in case anyone is following this:

We tested another TV, and the picture there was fine. I also tested my TV hooked into a cable jack in another room and the picture was still fuzzy. I also called ResTech support and they suggested that the TV's tuner might be "the wrong kind," though my TV is supposed to have a QAM tuner and that is what they said I need.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

1 recommendation

defiant

Their answer doesn't directly relate to you issue. A QAM tuner allows the TV to tune to unencrypted cable signals. Being digital, you won't get a "snowy" picture. Provided the original TV is functioning normally, it's possible there's a wiring issue or something else degrading the signal to those outlets you've tested.

winmaster
@216.26.118.x

winmaster

Anon

Yea, after doing some research, the answer the person gave me doesn't make sense.

I'm told that the TV that was plugged into that jack a week ago displayed a picture just fine, so I'm starting to think that my TV had a bad analog tuner.