spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bigwhitehonk
@68.0.153.x

bigwhitehonk

Anon

[AZ] All cox users turn on your routers traffic monitor

i got tired of all the emails saying we used 900 gigs of data already and the month is only have over
i turned on my routers traffic monitoring feature and i found that in the exact period that cox would cliam i used something like 934 gigs one time my router only counted 318 gigs so far the highest amount data that has been sent or recieved by my router was 348 gigs in a month period so ive been coniniously keeping copys of coxes email along with my corresponding router log
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

keep in mind that cox data usage is download and upload combined with that said I know my asus router and the cox data usage is with in 1-2 gigs of one another for me

bighonky
@68.0.153.x

bighonky

Anon

That is what i thought at first and i checked and rechecked and found a few other cases with similar discrepencys around the country also i checked thru several other methods of monitoring wich basically confirmed the router was correct cox is always claims we use at least 100gigs more then we really use sometimea alot more

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian to bigwhitehonk

Premium Member

to bigwhitehonk
Cox's data usage report has consistently under-reported my actual usage (as shown in my router's log).
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR

1 edit

Maltz

Yeah, my router reported about 6% higher than Cox's meter for May.

edit: router is RT-N66U
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to bighonky

Premium Member

to bighonky
are they the same router that give the big differences if known? no issues in Omaha

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru to bighonky

Premium Member

to bighonky
said by bighonky :

That is what i thought at first

Maybe your cable modem was cloned?

I have no clue how Cox tracks data usage, but if it is by mac address/serial, this could be plausible.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to bigwhitehonk

Premium Member

to bigwhitehonk
What router are you using? Some of the earlier Netgear implementations weren't very accurate. Most of the third part firmwares are very accurate. I use DDWRT and it has never been more than 1% outside what Comcast says I use.

Did you happen to update the WiFi password while you were in the router setting up that bandwidth monitoring? Or potentially tell your teenage son you were about to start tracking the bandwidth?

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

1 edit

Hard Harry7 to bigwhitehonk

to bigwhitehonk
There were two things I was wondering about. First, there was a reported issue with DOCSIS 3.0 modems causing some issue where certain game consoles would detect packet loss on the upstream. I never saw a definite answer why, some said it was fixed with a Xbox update, others said it had to do with IPv6 tunneling used by Xbox One, but I wonder if it could be the TCP forced idle lowering the detected QoS and the packets timing out during the test. Could this DOCSIS 3.0 oddity also create inconsistency with how Cox measures data?

The other thing was Cox gateways, and the 10.x.x.x IP somehow connected to the WAN interface. If these IP rotate, and used to track data usage, could they somehow confuse the system?

::Edit:: Another thing you might try is unplugging the modem for a day or two and see if it still registers any use, incase someone cloned you modem's MAC address.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

1 recommendation

odog

Premium Member

one of the XB1 issues was IPv6 related on Comcast. The other was the speedtest/packet loss calculator that was fixed in app.

From a technology perspective it doesn't care what version the modem is using at the PHY layer.

A cable modem just like a gateway also has a 10dot address.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by odog:

A cable modem just like a gateway also has a 10dot address.

I didn't mean the IP assigned to the MAC of the modem, I meant what Cox might see as the CPE address on a gateway. Wouldn't that be a 10.x.x.x IP too? And thank you for the clarification. I knew I was talking off the cuff and was mostly hoping it might spark some conversation.

Also, does anyone know what the cause of the different outages the data meter has had over the last year or so? I would think if anything is broken with the data meter, it would be related somehow to the repeat issues.
Phaetos
join:2003-09-21
Purvis, MS

Phaetos to bigwhitehonk

to bigwhitehonk
Apparently my Cisco/Linksys EA2700 sucks. There is no option to monitor traffic. There is a log that can be enabled/disabled, but it doesn't give data size, just the port and IP address.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to bigwhitehonk

Premium Member

to bigwhitehonk
The traffic monitor on my ASUS RT-N66U router is very, very close to the usage reported by the Cox Data Meter.

Xferlimits
@96.44.145.x

Xferlimits

Anon

I wonder who has the most overage here this month? Who's up to the challenge? I'm currently at 1,007.40 GB used on a 300 GB data cap. I figure I should take advantage now, because they will inevitably start enforcing the caps as their cable TV revenues continue to dwindle.
jimc115
join:2007-07-21
Surprise, AZ

jimc115

As of today's email, I'm up to 1201 GB on a 400 GB cap....I'd love to know where I'm storing it all.

JeffinKenner
@72.200.24.x

JeffinKenner to bigwhitehonk

Anon

to bigwhitehonk
How or why do you all use so much bandwidth? If I saw a spike like that I would make a 30 digit long wireless password or shut down my wireless all together in case of something funny going on. Watching twitch tv and youtube all day I hardly ever go over 110 gb out of 250.
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz to jimc115

to jimc115
1.2TB and you have no idea what you're using it for? Yeah, something isn't right there. Surely someone's either running some uncapped torrents or you've got a machine infected with a botnet. I don't see how even a heavily streaming-reliant family watching HD could get that high. Especially if your billing cycle isn't near its end.

Jeffinkenner
@72.200.24.x

Jeffinkenner to jimc115

Anon

to jimc115
Try scanning your pcs or laptops. I'd change router SSID and password, and make sure it's not broadcasting.

Norton NPE

»security.symantec.com/nb ··· npe.aspx

Malwarebytes

»www.malwarebytes.org/
jimc115
join:2007-07-21
Surprise, AZ

jimc115

I'm fully aware on how to keep my network safe and how to use anti-virus software....Cox reminds me by e-mail three to four times a month.....I use on average about 500 GB a month until Cox "FIXED" there data meters. My Router also agrees with what my average usages has always been. And, no there are no torrents at all or infected computers.

I've complained at least 10 times to a Cox Rep....each time am told not to worry about it....so guess what..I DON'T ANYMORE!

Mr_Anon_Name
@174.64.187.x

Mr_Anon_Name to BryanInPHX

Anon

to BryanInPHX
I have the N56U and Cox is reporting 100GB more than the router. Before, the meter was broken and didn't report a thing. Now its over reporting. If I start seeing those mails, I'm going to lodge a complaint every time with the evidence to back it up. And if they don't stop then I'll start seeking legal options. I refuse to be had by the system.