spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdv921

join:2008-06-26

AT&T bill goes up yet again - with NO NOTICE

Just got my latest bill. Now the price has gone from $51.00/mo to $53.22. I never received any notice about this increase. Anyone else seeing this?

mdv921

Just had an online chat with an rep from AT&T about the bill. She immediately said "I will take care of this extra amount for you and your bill will only be $51.00/mo". The kicker is she absolutely would not tell me why my bill went up to $53.22. Avoided answering the question 4 times until I got frustrated and left the chat. They're hiding something and I guess I won't find out why until I talk to a person on the phone when their offices open.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by mdv921:

They're hiding something and I guess I won't find out why until I talk to a person on the phone when their offices open.

Nothing particularly hard to understand. They don't want your business as a DSL customer; they want you to take their even more expensive wireless service so they can take more of your money. Standard American business practice.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Premium
join:2012-06-11
This is where the greed factor is so heinous that it becomes destructive to their bottom line....

AT&T is going to piss off 95% of their current customers with this tactic so instead of those DSL customers migrating to the more expensive wireless cell service they are going to
LEAVE AT&T ENTIRELY! So now they get NONE of the
customers' money!

Pennywise and pound foolish.

mtman6698

join:2011-09-02
Fountain, FL
reply to mdv921
Yep, it has been really strange. It went from $41.00 to $44.00 when I got the email for April billing and when I paid it, they claimed I overpaid. The next month(May) they charged me $38.00 then it jumps to $45.90 for June. I have no idea what the next bill will be. I give up...

Total Itemized Charges and Credits $45.90
FastAccess® Direct Ultra $25.97
FastAccess® Direct Ultra $27.87
FastAccess® Direct Ultra $44.00
Total Billed on Behalf of BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc $45.90
Total Internet Services $45.90

Previous Bill $38.00
Payment Received 5-01 Thank You! $38.00
Adjustments $0.00
Balance $0.00
Current Charges $45.90
Plans and Services $0.00
Internet Services $45.90
Total Amount Due $45.90

mdv921

reply to mdv921
I finally talked to someone in the AT&T billing department. She made sure the rate was adjusted to the correct amount. I asked her the same thing I asked the chat rep, "why did this happen". It took 3 tries but she finally hemmed and hawed and said "uh, it was a mistake". I don't believe it was a mistake at all. Someone added something to my service that I did not ask for, I believe. They just didn't want to fess up.

Also, I have told them I'm perfectly happy to switch to Uverse now that it's available for me, but I won't do it until they make Uverse TV available also. The AT&T sales department told me that Uverse TV takes a bit longer to become available usually (if he was telling the truth) but that it generally will happen within a few months after Uverse internet comes on line. I did tell them I have no intention of forking over $100.00 for a Uverse modem just to get basically the same service I've got now, which is 6.0 DSL (6.0 Uverse is the best they offer here). That's why I won't make any changes until the Uverse TV is available. Then it will be worth it to spend some of my own money to make the change.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to mtman6698
said by mtman6698:

Yep, it has been really strange. It went from $41.00 to $44.00 ...

I saw the total SBC/AT&T bill (3008/512 Internet, Local, and LD) rise from ~$76 a month to #&62;$101 a month from 2005 to 2011. Then I switched to a CLEC service. 5/0.5 Internet (over the same loop), Local and LD come to $50.83. No price hikes in three years, none currently announced. And no "data thresholds" (to use Comcast's euphemism).

Sorry, this CLEC only serves parts of California around the S.F. Bay Area.

BTW, I have changed residence since, and now have 13/0.8 Internet for the same price.
--
Norman

mtman6698

join:2011-09-02
Fountain, FL
reply to mdv921
NormanS.. You have a different SBC/ATT than we do here in the south. We have the old Bellsouth. Your speeds are much faster than the vast majority of the rural areas of the south. Although mine shows Ultra(1500/328), I actually average about 300kbps down/150kbps up. My line attenuation and snr suck @ 55/9. It's still better than dial up but there is no streaming or video of any kind. Kind of a bummer when trying to follow the news. They told me I could cancel anytime I wanted and go to satellite for $120 per mo. for internet. They can't even provide me with wireless as their tower is too far away.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by mtman6698:

NormanS.. You have a different SBC/ATT than we do here in the south.

The difference between West and Southeast (Bellsouth) is that Southeast went a different direction than West (SBC) after AT&T was broken apart in 1984. And neither was part of AT&T from 1984 to 2005.
--
Norman

Premium
I think I am correct in thinking that BellSouth was maybe the only baby bell that decided to invest in a lot of fiber including early FTTP.

An interesting aside is that our region legacy BellSouth has different DSL and U Verse plans than the rest of the country and unlike other regions AT&T still offers DSL service even when
U Verse is available and this has been the case for at least two years now. This region shows no sign of retiring DSL service anytime soon.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by 15444104:

I think I am correct in thinking that BellSouth was maybe the only baby bell that decided to invest in a lot of fiber including early FTTP.

Was NYNEX not a "Baby Bell"? They rolled out more FTTH than any other "Baby Bell"; as, Verizon (FiOS).
--
Norman

Premium
You know your stuff Norman...I was under the belief that
BellSouth was an earlier adopter of rolling out fiber in the general network but not in the same way that NYNEX/Bell Atlantic were with FTTH.

I thought that NYNEX and Bell Atlantic merged shortly after the break up of Ma Bell in 1984 as well. I used to live in the Philly area and vaguely remember that and that the new merged company simply became a bigger Bell Atlantic leaving the NYNEX name behind after the merger.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by 15444104:

I thought that NYNEX and Bell Atlantic merged shortly after the break up of Ma Bell in 1984 as well. I used to live in the Philly area and vaguely remember that and that the new merged company simply became a bigger Bell Atlantic leaving the NYNEX name behind after the merger.

I was never clear whether NYNEX, or Bell Atlantic vanished in the merger; but not long after the merged company merged again, with General Telephone and Electric, to form Verizon.
--
Norman

mdv921

reply to mdv921
UPDATE

Just got my new bill. Clearly the people I spoke with last month lied through their teeth when I was told my bill went up from $51.00 due to an error on AT&T's part. They issued a credit last month to return my bill to $51.00. I received my current bill this morning and it is $54.00. I called AT&T again now their stories have changed completely. Now they're saying the 6mb service price went from $51.00 to $54.00 and they sent out notices in April. LIARS!! I have never received any such notice.

So I guess this is the end of the line with me and AT&T. I've had it with this company that employs people who have no idea what they're talking about to deal with their customers. These same people, when pressed for an answer, just resort to telling a lie and promising the customer they've taken care of everything.

No wonder AT&T has the worst reputation for customer service in the nation.

mdv921

reply to mdv921
2nd UPDATE

An AT&T supervisor called about an hour ago to discuss my situation. Went through the whole story with him and as usual got the profuse apologies for an AT&T employee telling me something that was incorrect last month. I did correct him by saying "they didn't tell me something that was incorrect, they LIED".

Fast forward.....he informed me that Uverse has magically become available in my area and the regular price for Uverse is $51.00 (the same as my old DSL price). And if I switch to Uverse I will get it for $34.95/mo for 1 year. Actually I was supposed to get it for $41.00/mo for 1 year because I don't have any other services, but because of "all the inconvenience I've been put through", they're going to give me the lower bundle promotional price instead.

The only thing that disappoints me is that Uverse TV is not yet available in my area. I was told it should be soon. But considering it's an AT&T rep doing the talking I put little credence into what I was told.

So if all goes to plan on Monday 7/7 I'll have Uverse service at $34.95/mo. We'll see. I'm not crossing my fingers or holding my breath just yet.

Premium
@mdv921:

What will the regular price of this U Verse tier be after the promo has ended?

Did you try and get a lower price on your current DSL offering?
I simply would have called retention and told them I was considering cancelling the service if they couldn't bring the price down a bit for another year.

In any case good luck and please post back with your results and how the install goes! Thanks!

mdv921

According to the rep the current regular price for Uverse 6mb service is $51.00 (the same as 6 mb DSL before the latest $3.00 increase). So a $15.00/mo savings for a year will be nice. I asked the rep "so Uverse is now cheaper than DSL"? She said "yes, because the DSL copper lines require so much more upkeep". True? Who knows. When you're dealing with AT&T customer service you never know if they're telling you the truth or just making something up hoping you'll buy what they're saying as the truth.

And yes I did ask for a reduction in my DSL rate (back to $51.00) or I would cancel. The response was "hold on and I'll give you the number to call in order to cancel your service".

I guess even though 6mb is the fastest Uverse speed available in my area at this point there is some benefit with the increase in bandwidth to 250 gb/mo (unless they've found a way to decrease that as well). Although I do have to buy the modem ($100.00).

Premium
When the sales rep said she was giving you the number which allows you to call and cancel your DSL service she likely was going to have you call retention. When you call them and tell them to cancel at AT&T 98% of the time they will lower your rates for another year or term.

When your term ends with U Verse call retention and tell them you will cancel unless you get an extension of your existing promotion. (-:

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL
reply to mdv921
if "U-Verse" internet is available but not TV, you're getting IPDSL. At any rate, all U-Verse except for in a very few areas is over copper wire just like your old ADSL. They're just feeding you bull.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to mdv921
said by mdv921:

I asked the rep "so Uverse is now cheaper than DSL"? She said "yes, because the DSL copper lines require so much more upkeep". True? Who knows. When you're dealing with AT&T customer service you never know if they're telling you the truth or just making something up hoping you'll buy what they're saying as the truth.

More likely the rep made that up on the fly just to sound like she knew what she was talking about.

OTOH, the typical copper plant is comprised of F1 spans from COs to SAI boxes, and F2 spans from the SAI boxes to the premises. Fiber-fed RTs and VRADs are located adjacent to SAI boxes, such that the amount of copper in the OSP is reduced. Or so it seems to me.
--
Norman

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to mdv921
That is a LIE U-verse uses the same copper lines that DSL does!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by chip89:

From the SAI to the premises, yes; but from the SAI back to the network? Where is the fiber (the "F" in "FTTN")?
--
Norman

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
said by NormanS:

said by chip89:

From the SAI to the premises, yes; but from the SAI back to the network? Where is the fiber (the "F" in "FTTN")?

That's silly. They are not moving to U-Verse to "save" money on copper. In a lot if not most cases, the same amount of copper exists because those lines were served by a remote dslam where the vrad is now. If anything copper is cheaper, or else AT&T would be doing fios style fiber to the home. And at any rate what a CSR said on the phone does not in any way even approach official corporate strategy. They can barely get thing things they're SUPPOSED to know right, much less things they would have no business being involved in.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by mixdup:

They are not moving to U-Verse to "save" money on copper.

I am not saying that they are (saving money). That would be the sort of WAG a CSR would make.

OTOH, I can assure you that for every RT I have seen with an adjacent VRAD, I have seen two, or three, with nothing but an SAI box nearby.

AFAIK, bringing the fiber closer to the homes isn't about "saving money"; but who knows what the CSR was thinking.
--
Norman

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
Don't they sometimes do pair-bonding for U-verse, to get the higher bandwidth? Then wouldn't that have the opposite effect whereby U-verse uses more copper?

mdv921

reply to mdv921
My U-verse equipment was just delivered. The Gateway (Motorola NVG510) seems rather cheap(ish). Oh well, if it works I guess it'll be ok. Setup on Monday night after 8pm.

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Many users have CO based service.
They are told by sales "ATT is having a lot of problems with old copper wires in your area. Therefore we will replace your DSL with Uverse DSL over copper wires" .
Fiber is randomly sprinkled in the conversation.

mdv921

reply to mdv921
Just finished the Uverse install. For some reason I was unable to connect to the registration webpage at all (kept getting a message that said broadband service was not available). A tech at AT&T did the registration for me on their end and everything started working fine. So far so good. Speed is excellent (so far).

Premium
Thanks mdv921 for keeping us updated on the install, glad to hear that everything is working as it is supposed to let us know if things change!

mdv921

So far the download speeds have exceeded the 6mb max I'm paying for. Hopefully AT&T will eventually provide faster Uverse service as I'm only able to get 6mb max (which is the same as I had with DSL-at least I get more bandwidth), and provide Uverse TV so I can kick this pathetically bad cable company I am forced to use to the curb.