spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

2 Million?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that around how many xFITL locations they serve? My bet is this is where the FTTP upgrades happen.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Yes. They already planned to upgrade 2 million developments with faster 1 Gbps FTTP to battle Google Fiber. They're now pretending this is a new plan simply to get DirecTV deal approved.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Thats not what he asked, there are ex-BellSouth FITL customers that have been left to rot. What you mentioned was NEW deployment, while he is asking about an existing upgrade that was way overdue.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Gilitar

Premium Member

to Gilitar
I seem to recall the number being between 1-2 million. Last I heard the plan was to transition them to GPON, so this is probably a big part of the 2 million number.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to OSUGoose

News Guy

to OSUGoose
I see. Though I wasn't talking just new deployment, as all they're doing in many instances is taking FTTH customers currently capped at DSL speeds and pushing them to a gig, then pointing to those select deployments as evidence of how cutting edge they are.

As for BellSouth territory who knows. Those numbers have floated all over the board since the acquisition (which saw similar empty promises to get approved by regulators).

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Yes. They already planned to upgrade 2 million developments with faster 1 Gbps FTTP

To offer 1Gbps consistently at a fair price and not suffer severe congestion, they would have to deploy XGPON aka 10G-PON.

They are not doing that because they are too shortsighted and too cheap.